Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I hope they go back to hard boss drops but we know that will never happen.

All I can hope is if they do this legendary shit again, made it targetable like they said they were going to do instead of RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Are most average guilds ok with players not pulling their weight?
    I doubt it but I wouldn't know.

In any case, they shouldn't. It's easy enough to find players with the "close to mandatory" legendaries by now. Players without them have no place in raids.
    That isn't what I said, nice strawman from the guy who doesnt know what the word mandatory means.

I said most average guilds don't have extensive rosters to fill spots. People aren't clamoring to get into most guilds. Apparently I'm talking to someone from method that has an extensive bench of pro dps though.

If you don't have your bis Legos by now you aren't trying anyways. Inb4 you say you already have yours.

PS - it's spelled expansion not expantion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    That isn't what I said, nice strawman from the guy who doesnt know what the word mandatory means.

I said most average guilds don't have extensive rosters to fill spots. People aren't clamoring to get into most guilds. Apparently I'm talking to someone from method that has an extensive bench of pro dps though.

If you don't have your bis Legos by now you aren't trying anyways. Inb4 you say you already have yours.

PS - it's spelled expansion not expantion.
    Not sure what you're trying to achive with these insults but no, I'm not in Method.
    I do have the ones I need for my two DPS specs, thankfully but I do not have all of them, despite playing quite a bit more than the average player(I would assume).

That does not change the fact that the system is crap and if you're unluckly, you have no place in even the most casual of guilds, unless they are super desperate.

I'm of the opinion leggos need to be retired from the game for a couple of expansions. They've lost any and all meaning other than +stats and +cool effect (maybe). Let's give the system a break for a while.

When one combination of items gives you a 15-30% damage boost compared to others, that setup is mandatory.
    Being 30% behind in damage means you have no place is a raid. So, mandatory for raiding.
    Anyone raiding in an at all competitive environment has a minimum of how many legendaries? I think 7 would be low because I hardly raid at all (don't even do mythic) and I kept switching characters and I have 7 on the two toons I was raiding on and 6 on the other I just switched to. The mythic raiders I know (and we're not talking about Heroic raiders getting benched over legendaries) either have or are very close to all main spec legendaries. In any case, if you have 7, even if you have horrible luck, the worst luck possible, you still have some decent ones. Sure, it's a dps loss versus the guy with better luck, but 30%? Rofl, no way. If there is more than a few specs with more than a 10% difference between mid-level legendaries and BiS I would be shocked.

Legendaries are dumb and a 5-8% dps swing is way too much. You don't need to make stuff up to try to prove the point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    Anyone raiding in an at all competitive environment has a minimum of how many legendaries? I think 7 would be low because I hardly raid at all (don't even do mythic) and I kept switching characters and I have 7 on the two toons I was raiding on and 6 on the other I just switched to. The mythic raiders I know (and we're not talking about Heroic raiders getting benched over legendaries) either have or are very close to all main spec legendaries. In any case, if you have 7, even if you have horrible luck, the worst luck possible, you still have some decent ones. Sure, it's a dps loss versus the guy with better luck, but 30%? Rofl, no way. If there is more than a few specs with more than a 10% difference between mid-level legendaries and BiS I would be shocked.

Legendaries are dumb and a 5-8% dps swing is way too much. You don't need to make stuff up to try to prove the point though.
    You take a look at arms warriors. Compare someone without the helm and ring to someone without any of thoes.
    It's not as bad as befor the nerf but it's still more than "8%".

I'm with @det here.

The MoP system was best in this regard imo. It was personal, hard work. Just the way it should be imo.
    The "class challenges" for example would've been a good way to progress a legendary item instead.

My favourite system though would be a full set of "artifact gear" which we forge ourselves in the next expansion, and can add legendary effect to through hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    Legion Legendary System is broken. You should get such powerful items through hard work not through luck and RNG. I think it should be back to Vanilla style where you need to do Legendary questline through raids and gathering rare items.
    Thunderfury was more brokenly RNG than any legendary. Two weeks to get both bindings for some people and years of farming MC for others.

I feel like they should just rename legendaries. Or name a new tier of item quality for the Wrath/Cata/Mop style legendary, and leave legendaries as is. Someone suggested the other day that a lot of the people who dislike the current legendary system might be appeased by switching most of the legendary effects towards utility or mild throughput rather than their current talent-like effects.

I think they should take elements of:
    - long quest chains with raid drops a'la Balance of Power
    - class campaign
    - Mage tower challenge / wrathion quest scenarios

and make a big quest chain with some challenging parts that you work through over the course of the expansion.

This makes it open to everyone with a fairly low bar to entry (raid a bit, be good at your spec), takes the RNG away, easy for alts (could be catch-up in later patches with raid drops).

The WOD method was pretty good but a bit bland. Everyone gets a boring ring with a flat damage boost. I like the idea of spec enhancing attributes and a little customisation is always nice.

The thing is, the legendary system really only effects a very small percentage of the playerbase(mostly very high end guilds where they would actually matter), same as titanforging, for most of the playerbase it's fine and probably even a good thing despite what a lot of people think

Deleted
    Just have a long questline that's challenging, time consuming and a bit grindy, that awards a legendary at the end, or allows the player to upgrade one along the journey.

The one thing I like about Legion legendaries are the passives they provide, they're not just good in terms of stats, the also buff certain spells or change your playstyle in some way, that's the one thing that should carry over.

The Fire Mage bracers feel legendary because you pretty much need them to do any damage at all, and as long as your usefulness is based on effort rather than luck, I am happy.
    Last edited by mmocb78b2e29a3; 2017-08-23 at 07:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    I agree with this sentiment, thats why i liked my second option so much. You get a nice power creep if you get to use every item you get throughout the expansion and it makes that content still relative (at least the questing aspect that makes you go back). That system was indeed the best, maybe make it so you only have to do the quest once per account, but you need to farm the items to create the individual items as i stated above with gems and items off of mobs in the world. Keeps everyone happy, makes the world feel more "alive" since people will be all over the place farming stuff still.
    So basically a complete copy paste of FFXIV's relic weapon system? I can see it working well in WoW.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Why do you even need legandaries? The current legendaries are basically just purples with special effects. Just like the Archimonde trinkets or some older class specific trinkets.

A "legendary system" has a fundamental flaw in itself - you want the items to feel legendary AND you want everyone to get it eventually. This sentence makes NO sense. What it describes, is an EPIC item, not a legendary.

A legendary should be something like Atiesh, but available for every class - medium-length quest-chain, only 3-5 per realm with a rather smaller effect(a bit more ilevel, maybe some special non-dps on-use).

I hope we will go back to Vanilla or WotLK style system.

I didn't like WoD/MoP system at all, if I had to choose between current and MoP/WoD systems, I'd pick current one

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xcitng View Post
    I hope they go back to hard boss drops but we know that will never happen.

All I can hope is if they do this legendary shit again, made it targetable like they said they were going to do instead of RNG.
    Or just utility based. If it's not a dps increase you won't be "required" to have a specific legendary.

Also I doubt people would be happy with hard boss drops, for one it's extremely RNG, second only a few per guild will ever obtain one, third would there be one for each difficulty and would they be the same strength? Regardless of your answer to the last question people will most certainly not be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    So, for this thread I just wanted to get my ideas out there for how i would a new legendary system to be added to the game. Its pretty obvious that the current system is not very good, and do not wish to continue this system into the next expansion. So what does that mean? Blizzard has had moderate success with the last few iterations of their legendary system, with the exception of some complaints about alt friendliness and the "grindy nature" of quest lines. It is safe to say that the legion system was ultimately a failure, as Blizzard themselves denounced it as such.

So, with that said, I will propose a couple of different systems that I think would be a vast improvement over what we have, and would an expansion over what we have had previously in game. It is no secret that the vanilla and TBC systems were not liked by the majority of players, because the majority of players had no access to bosses such as Kel'Thuzad 40, Illidan, and Kil'Jeaden. So, in WotLK a new system was designed, one where items would drop throughout the raid, allowing players on multiple difficulties to receive the weapon they were going for. This was unprecedented, because now a much larger array of players had access to the weapons, even on the new normal difficulty (ICC) & non-hardmode (Uld). This is where I found the idea for the first system i would like to see added to the game:

Legendary weapon via raid:

1) This system would be a tweak on the previous systems, unlike the system where you acquired Valanyr, or Shadowmourne, this system would be more along the lines of the Queldenar quest line. I would still make it so one person could progress at a time per section of the quest, but this time drops would be 100% guaranteed, so overtime your raid became stronger.

2) The system would be allow for a physical weapon, and a caster weapon, which would allow everyone in the raid to have access to the weapon by a certain point, lets say, a legendary is made every 2 weeks. Unlike the daggers from DS, where people were bringing alt rogues in because of how wasted the weapons were, you could have your main damage dealing physical damage person build their weapon first, and after about 2 months, you start even gearing out the tanks with a fancy new 1 hander or shield.

3) This system would also allow you to repeat the quest, so after the first round of mains has the weapon, you can go for your OS weapons, making the game main-centric (which blizz wants to do).

4) The first raid tier would have you make the caster weapon, since physical dps tends to be more OP in the initial tier of the expansion. The second raid tier would have you make the physical dps weapons, and the third tier would have a quest-line that allows you to upgrade all weapons to a new Max item level.

5) I would make the system only attainable in Normal, Heroic, and Mythic, to try and get people into guilds to do at least normals once a week.

This system seems the least likely to me, but I think a system like this could breathe new life into an aging system. This system also makes legendaries feel legendary, unlike our current mess.

MoP i feel offered the best legendary system they've put into the game, I am not entirely sure why they went the route they did in WoD, but im not sure why they did anything they did in WoD. The legendary quest-line, that goes for the entire expansion, is engaging and keeps player retention, unlike a system completely dedicated to RNG. My second system would be a play off of what we had in MoP, with a slight twist to keep things interesting.

Legendary Items via Legendary Quest-Line

As the name says, this would be legendary items, not just some shitty ring with minimal quests, this system would be expansion long, and would provide items to truly make your character feel empowered. This sytem would require the return of guaranteed gem slots, and more expansive amounts of enchants. Each part of the quest would give us items that we use for the entire expansion, not something that's unusable after the next part comes out. The goal of this is to give us power creep throughout the expansion with need to go through 300 item levels an expansion.

1) This system would have 4-5 stages, which would have you unlock multiple items to enchant your gear.

2) First iteration would be a very long, time gated quest-line build into a Suramar like zone, making it so we have 3-5 weeks at the start of the expansion to really sink our teeth into a very expansive initial world. I would like the world to be like MoP with factions with gear we want to grind towards, not gear that's out of date immediately. I would like this first part of the quest line to unlock a weapon enchant for each class that is used as the weapon enchant for the entire expansion.

3) The second part of the quest-line would be one where we need to complete mythic dungeons, and have a kara type mythic dungeon unlocked with the Suramar like zone, where the second part climaxes. This would make it feel truly epic, and would give people the needed power push to clear the first raid of the expansion if they were unable to with the gear they had when it opened. The second quest item would be a pure stat gem (agi/str/int) that would go into a special socket thats on every ring. The way you would make more gems is to farm up crystals in the specialty zone where the quests have been originating, but not an excessive amount of farming. This would make jewelry a linear upgrade again instead of the poop sock we have at the moment.

4) The third part of the quest-line would involve the first raid, but would have some cool mechanic like the Onyxia encounter with queldenar, where the boss would inadvertently empower a stone. This stone would be used to craft a class specific trinket, so we have something cool to attain while we wait 5-6 months for the next raid to come out.

5) I would release another huge, multi week quest-line with something like a 8.1 or 8.2, like they have been doing so far in Legion (which has been great), this would help really close out the story of the first raid, and help players progress towards the next part of the game, with the mid-tier raid.

6)With the mid tier raid release, we would get more stuff to do with the quest-line and character progression, hopefully a new zone like with ToT with another gated approach to it. I would like to see something that empowers another piece of gear that hasn't received a lot of love this expansion, and that would be the necklace. What i would like to see on the neck is an item that would be akin to the old helm gem, where it has main stats, and some sort of attack or multiplier that gives us a nice boost to our damage.

7) I would do another 8.3 type system here, with a story that leads us to the final part of the quest-line, with the final tier giving us a legendary weapon with a special effect on it (like the deathwing weapons). This would round out the expansion well, and give us that nice little bit of overpower we like at the end of the expansion. I would also have each raid difficulty drop an empowering gem that allows you to make your weapon a higher item level, so mythic would still have the big dick weapon.

I hope you enjoyed the read, please feel free to critique and add to the systems as you seem fit! As more and more comment I will update the post to get a real feel for the systems!

Thanks!
    you are unlucky because legion legedary system is working more then well - its achieving exackly what devs wanted - hamsters runing on a wheel for months in chase of orange - so if you think 8.0 will change anything you aare nothing but delusional

Quote Originally Posted by Aaabbc View Post
    I'm with @det here.

The MoP system was best in this regard imo. It was personal, hard work. Just the way it should be imo.
    The "class challenges" for example would've been a good way to progress a legendary item instead.

My favourite system though would be a full set of "artifact gear" which we forge ourselves in the next expansion, and can add legendary effect to through hard work.
    I disagree. MoP system was also far from ideal. You had 2 options - bring the legendary of gtfo from raid activity.

I think legion system with some improvements would be the best.

IMHO, they should decrease difference between dps legendaries (not like now, some legendary skyrockets your dps, some - don't use anywhere) and make 2 separate progress bars on utility and dps legendaries.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesde View Post
    I disagree. MoP system was also far from ideal. You had 2 options - bring the legendary of gtfo from raid activity.

I think legion system with some improvements would be the best.

IMHO, they should decrease difference between dps legendaries (not like now, some legendary skyrockets your dps, some - don't use anywhere) and make 2 separate progress bars on utility and dps legendaries.
    Exactly. I still vouch for getting a random drop in the same vein you have right now that unlocks a quest for one of several legendaries, which is not 100% random. Give us some choice, or maybe even full choice.

There's nothing fun about being benched as a semi-competitive player because Blizz' RNG System of the year told you to fuck off. And it's not fun to be less or more powerful cause "Here's an OP/useless item for your worldquest bye".

It's too random, all around, and needs more certainty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    So away from the hyperbole theory and over to the practical in this discussion

How many times so far in Legion have you been benched and/or had to find a new guild for no other reason than not having the best legos (or worse ones than the other class/spec in your roster) and thus not being optimal?

This discussion is the Flying topic of Legion, a non-issue that people are going to bitch about as long as they can, even though it has little to no actual consequence in practice. But keep throwing around how you're doing 30-40% less damage in your hypothetical "mage1 has bis legs and mage2 doesnt, mage2 gets benched!", I'm sure that has happened a few times in top 100 guilds where micro-managing .1%'s can be the difference between another night of wiping on progression or beating the boss.

For the vast, vast, vast majority of raiders, getting benched doesn't happen merely for not having certain legos, getting benched happens because of a number of reasons together, and another 3% dps through changing your worst equipped lego to a better one isn't going to magically fix it.

Little different from the other "mandatory" things raiders "have to have to be optimal" we've seen throughout the years. But as always, people need a scapegoat to complain about between raid-sessions. But maybe I'm wrong in how much this affects you? Maybe your entire raid is spending the whole raid night blaming everything that goes wrong on people not having specific legos.

It's pretty unfortunate that a system that is designed to be a pleasant surprise, to be a boost, to sometimes switch a bit how you play your character, just turns into yet another dot on the mandatory-for-raiding bucket-list. Instead of "nice, this is a 5% dps boost", it's "finally you can stop farming". Community perception and attitude is a far larger problem than the items themselves. I can guarantee that in the end, it's the gear upgrades you're getting each week that ultimately allows you to progress. Not whether or not every dps in the top 10 has bis1/2 when the raid is released.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.