Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    There is not going to be a second chance. Charlottesville was nothing compared to what is happening in Chicago. Besides, that is long ago history which is outlawed and condemned universally. And in some cases, leaving statues up can be a good reminder of bad things. Shun the racists , tearing down the statues only empowers them more.

- - - Updated - - -

You can not deny citizens their constitutional rights on a whelm, while you figure things out. :P
    Un-constitute it then as well

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    What would you do? Do you have any suggenstions?
    Remove weapons maybe? Do something about the poverty that makes these people feel forced to commit crimes?

Feels a little like this thread is wasted if you do not actually add anything yourself, does it not?
    Poverty "forces" people to commit crimes?

As someone who was raised in Humboldt Park, I could easily solve the issue with ONE thing. Money. Education is lacking, teachers and facilities are ill-equipped, and under trained. They get the kids who literally watched their mothers shoot up heroin at home - or watched people they love get harmed by gun violence. PTSD is so relevant but not talked about because god forbid anyone who hasn't actually gone to war have PTSD. Chicago is a war zone, and still the most segregated city in the USA. Wanna fix the issue? Donate money to the schools and anti-violence groups.

Quote Originally Posted by MHMabrito View Post
    As someone who was raised in Humboldt Park, I could easily solve the issue with ONE thing. Money. Education is lacking, teachers and facilities are ill-equipped, and under trained. They get the kids who literally watched their mothers shoot up heroin at home - or watched people they love get harmed by gun violence. PTSD is so relevant but not talked about because god forbid anyone who hasn't actually gone to war have PTSD. Chicago is a war zone, and still the most segregated city in the USA. Wanna fix the issue? Donate money to the schools and anti-violence groups.
    I agree.

People say money doesn't solve the problem which is true if the money is going to the adults. Putting food in kids bellies so they can concentrate at school and have the tools to succeed in learning is what changes things. Also after school day care or activity programs too to promote understanding with peers and keep them away from gang activity.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would you do? Do you have any suggenstions?
    Remove weapons maybe? Do something about the poverty that makes these people feel forced to commit crimes?

Feels a little like this thread is wasted if you do not actually add anything yourself, does it not?
    If poverty is the cause of all this then a UBI might alleviate this, followed by education that might give them a chance to get good paying jobs. Best case scenario, everyone gets jobs and the violence stops. Worse case scenario, people stay home and play video games all day, and the violence stops.

I usually check www.heyjackass.com once per day to keep up with the tallies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Do you find it strange a state like Vermont has very lax gun laws ( do not need a license to carry concealed a handgun ) does not have the same problem? Which was voted the safest state in the Union per 100k population? The answer is not punish others by limiting to the extreme, their Constitutional rights, so others will stop acting like fools. That said, I am all for some better and reasonable gun control laws. But those will not stop this type of violence. And no matter what, like it or not, we have to deal with the Second Amendment.
    nope i don't find it strange. Do the people of Vermont have the same problems? Not really. Not even close. Please read my first sentence. And sorry but carrying a tool only made for killing others with no other use and no added personal security I don't count as a right. But well, I won't discuss these things with usa citizens. Emotional themes cannot be discussed after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    We also have 6 times the population that they do, plus a lot more violent crime, especially among certain demographics.

I am not rioting because I don't have a victim complex or law breaking family/friends, so I have nothing to fear.
    even with scaling down the population It's overwhelming. And as an american you don't know but I give you a hint. You are not the only country with a mixed demographic. And GB is especially diverse as they are an old colonial power. You have more violent crime because every idiot can have a gun, so your police has to take that into account. Which, well actually shows the point of mormolyce.

but yeah why rioting. I would start at demonstrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I have no idea.
    I was more criticising the way people such as the OP make threads. Just posting an article without adding anything themselves.

I have no idea.
    I was more criticising the way people such as the OP make threads. Just posting an article without adding anything themselves.
    I opened a discussion I like to see peoples thoughts on this, some people took up the challenge you just made it about me. What's that old saying about not killing the messenger?

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Desperation forces people to commit crimes, and poverty usually leads to desperation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I opened a discussion I like to see peoples thoughts on this, some people took up the challenge you just made it about me. What's that old saying about not killing the messenger?
    It's a foolish point to bring up "Chicago had more shootings recently! But it's a big city so in fact per capita the shootings are much lower than people think. Also crime is down like nearly 40% but the number!!"

New Orleans and several other cities literally have 300% higher per capita shootings, but I only ever see Chicago getting talked about on this forum because of the sheer number of shootings, as people here including you, don't have a regard for fucking percentages and making things properly relative to population.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Desperation forces people to commit crimes, and poverty usually leads to desperation.
    if it was just poverty all of these shootings would be happening in a store while the people tried to steal things they need. they are stealing from other poor people. so really poverty+stupidity+affirmation= violence. There are very few crimes that happen on the level you mention. By mentioning poverty as an excuse or reason you and people like you confirm for people that are stupid that they have a right to commit the crimes because they feel justified that it was just to live but then they are too stupid to do it right so they just steal from and kill other poor people.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PL-Cibo View Post
    nope i don't find it strange. Do the people of Vermont have the same problems? Not really. Not even close. Please read my first sentence. And sorry but carrying a tool only made for killing others with no other use and no added personal security I don't count as a right. But well, I won't discuss these things with usa citizens. Emotional themes cannot be discussed after all.

- - - Updated - - -
    You are right, they do not have the same problems Chicago has. There are reasons for that. But having easy access to firearms has not made it worse there.

Thankfully, it does not matter if you do not think it is a right or not. It is and the highest court in the US have upheld that right as Constitutional.

Quote Originally Posted by scaphism View Post
    if it was just poverty all of these shootings would be happening in a store while the people tried to steal things they need. they are stealing from other poor people. so really poverty+stupidity+affirmation= violence. There are very few crimes that happen on the level you mention. By mentioning poverty as an excuse or reason you and people like you confirm for people that are stupid that they have a right to commit the crimes because they feel justified that it was just to live but then they are too stupid to do it right so they just steal from and kill other poor people.
    Okay your post is just silly.

No one is claiming they have a right to commit crimes. I don't know why it's so hard on this forum for any person to simply look at a subject... analyze it... come out with an objective conclusion, without all this other shit being attached. I'm not making them feel justified. they already have rationalized their crimes.

Poor white people selling meth to make money is a problem, me saying "they're doing this because of the area their in the demand for meth, the ease of making it, and their desperation due to poverty" isn't me justifying and giving them an excuse and I highly doubt what I say would change anything as they've already justified it for themselves by virtue of doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

- - - Updated - - -

It's a foolish point to bring up "Chicago had more shootings recently! But it's a big city so in fact per capita the shootings are much lower than people think. Also crime is down like nearly 40% but the number!!"

New Orleans and several other cities literally have 300% higher per capita shootings, but I only ever see Chicago getting talked about on this forum because of the sheer number of shootings, as people here including you, don't have a regard for fucking percentages and making things properly relative to population.
    Your argument: but other big cities had lots of murders too!
    My argument: What the fuck is wrong with all big cities being full of murdering gang violence?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Un-constitute it then as well
    There is a process for doing that. And it is not based on popular opinion. We are a nation made up of sovereign states. Thus the name "The United States of America". Until it is changed, the citizens have the Constitutional right to exercise that right. And each State has the right how far they want to regulate the possession of firearms. But even then, they can regulate them only to the extent the Highest Court allows.

Your argument: but other big cities had lots of murders too!
    My argument: What the fuck is wrong with all big cities being full of murdering gang violence?
    My argument is that Chicago is no where near being this murder capital of the world because it's so big that relative to population (as everything should fucking be) it isn't worth much talk.

5 killings in a town of 200 is worse than 50 killings in a town of 85000

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    I'm shocked there is any gun violence in Chicago they have incredibly strict gun control laws! Its almost as if making it hard for legal and trained users to aquare guns opens them up to the people who ignore the laws on the book and just do what they want anyway.
    Everyone is safe now people. Problem solved. Good guy with a gun here!

Hurr. Durr.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

It's an annyong practice that some posters have here on MMO-C.
    They just post an article and nothing else.

They really should change the rules about that.
    It promotes posting propaganda without any real discussion, just two sides taking shots at eachother.

So no, I'm not "shooting the messenger", I just find your threads annoying and poorly made. I have nothing against the topic however but I have no idea how to actually discuss it as you said nothing, raised no questions, nothing.

It's an annyong practice that some posters have here on MMO-C.
    They just post an article and nothing else.

They really should change the rules about that.
    It promotes posting propaganda without any real discussion, just two sides taking shots at eachother.

So no, I'm not "shooting the messenger", I just find your threads annoying and poorly made. I have nothing against the topic however but I have no idea how to actually discuss it as you said nothing, raised no questions, nothing.
    How is discussing violence in a city propaganda? If any rules should change it should be shit posting to derail the subject then I wouldn't have to see your post.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Why hasn't anything been done about this? I wish people cared more about the crazy violence than other stupid things.
    Actually, they are trying to do something about it. Unfortunately, there is no simple solution that works. It takes time and effort, involves police being more involved in the communities (and, no, not via shooting everyone), working on economic conditions, and having serious discussions about reasonable gun controls. There are already a number of community groups trying to do what they can to reduce the violence.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...230-story.html

"It's just easier to get a gun than it is to get a job," said William Sampson, who heads public policy studies at DePaul University.
    Chicago police attributed 75 percent of homicides in the city in 2015 and 2016 to altercations — most involving street gangs, according to the University of Chicago Crime Lab draft report.

On the neighborhood-level, former gang members are still coordinating conflict interventions through church, community and city-affiliated programs, with a new program launched in 2016 on the historically troubled West Side. CeaseFire Illinois, founded 16 years ago, also remains active, though on a more limited basis after losing financial support from the state and city.

The Police Department's 12-page gang reduction strategy, last revised in January 2016, ranged from gang audits intended to monitor rivalries and changing boundaries to the department's signature "strategic subject list," a computerized algorithm designed to zero in on about 1,400 people, primarily gang members, considered most likely to shoot someone or become a victim of violence.

With the LAPD's recent guidance, Chicago police now plan to take an old concept — hot-spot policing — and decentralize it. Beginning this month, a single room in each of the 22 districts will be dedicated to tracking shootings, calls for help and information gathered on the street from beat officers. Armed with those data, district intelligence analysts, community policing officers and command staff will decide daily where to send teams of officers to try to counteract the violence.