Oh I forgot to mention, tried solo'ing Ravana EX last night. No dice, hit enrage @ 20% He just keeps casting his ult back to back until it finally kills you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I asked in FC if anyone wanted to come to an EX roulette (last one to cap for the week) and a healer joined. The temple of the fist took 24 minutes with her doing a whopping 103 DPS (FWIW, my brother's WHM friend who I've been doing story dungeons with them as they level through HW does more than that, 15 levels lower and 150ilvl lower...

Then to add insult to injury the ilvl 310 ish RDM is doing significantly less DPS than me and is just using ST spells over and over despite pull size. I ask him to use his AOE spells, but nope doesn't listen and keeps on keeping on. Doesn't even respond. The SAM barely out DPS'd me. at 3200. I was at 2900 (over entire dungeon).

FWIW I did this dungeon the other day with slightly better DPS, and a top notch healer and the run took 17 minutes flat. Yeah that's a 41% reduction in run time (might be 29%, my basic math is bad sometimes).

So anyway, she has the gall to say 'gosh i was so bored', I said, well you could have DPS'd more. She said I strictly heal on healer and if I wanted to DPS I'd pick a DPS and I said "oh I see". Note to self. Stick to DF. I know I know, blah blah blah you're an elitist prick Wreck.
    I'd fall asleep mid-run if I ran dungeons as a healer and didn't dps...sure, healer dps isn't terribly interesting/complex (doesn't need to be, really), but it's potent enough to matter in terms of speeding a run up, as you noted.

Have to say I'm looking forward to getting my FC tank buddies caught up on gear...I don't get to dps quite as much as I want when running with them currently, but they're starting to catch up.

Regarding the math, I thought when measuring "faster' it's difference between values / value being compared i.e. 7 / 17 = 41%. I.e. Run 1 was 41% faster, the math conversely would show that run 2 was 29% slower. 7 / 24 = 29%.
    Well, think of it this way. You did it in slightly better than 3/4ths the time. So 1/4th is 25%, therefore logic says 29% faster is the answer.

Deleted
    Currently 63 as bard - hell they really removed my "stand still to do dps!"

My guild is void and I am all alone on Odin But the Campaign is awesome. I paused after Sophia (just wanted her lighting pants) so - Sorry Eorzea you have another pervert back ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I'd fall asleep mid-run if I ran dungeons as a healer and didn't dps...sure, healer dps isn't terribly interesting/complex (doesn't need to be, really), but it's potent enough to matter in terms of speeding a run up, as you noted.
    Same here. That mindset even carried over into WoW and I was constantly trying to fill empty space with DPS skills.
    A bit embarrassing when a few Holy Novas put me over one of the DPS players though.

@Faroth

So as you may/may not know I was able to get my brother to play the game again. He was trying to level up NIN to 50 to catch up to his lady friend who is playing and quit at 2.1 or so. He made it to 35 or so, but started to get bored, so he decided he'd just pick up SAM at 50 and they'd go on through. He ended up buying an ARR skip because he couldnt handle the quests (I don't blame him). He went through HW leveling with some pain points (the frequent level jumps in MSQ being one).

I don't know when it happened, but he started watching cutscenes (i think around vault area, maybe a tad before). Now he watches them all (he just entered SB leveling). It's a perfect example we've talked about previously. Give someone a job they really like (i.e. SAM) and get them past the tedious part of the game and it's hard not to love it.

Thought you'd appreciate that. I took him through some of the old raids he's missed CoB 5, 6, and 7 so far, and all of the ARR Extreme Primals which are actually pretty fun (except you Ifrit) to solo. I can't solo the HW's one yet, but I did get Rav to 20% but then he repeatedly enraged on me Guess my DPS was shit O_O haha.

@Faroth

So as you may/may not know I was able to get my brother to play the game again. He was trying to level up NIN to 50 to catch up to his lady friend who is playing and quit at 2.1 or so. He made it to 35 or so, but started to get bored, so he decided he'd just pick up SAM at 50 and they'd go on through. He ended up buying an ARR skip because he couldnt handle the quests (I don't blame him). He went through HW leveling with some pain points (the frequent level jumps in MSQ being one).

I don't know when it happened, but he started watching cutscenes (i think around vault area, maybe a tad before). Now he watches them all (he just entered SB leveling). It's a perfect example we've talked about previously. Give someone a job they really like (i.e. SAM) and get them past the tedious part of the game and it's hard not to love it.
    Samurai is a pretty fun job. I have no regrets making it my main. Glad the story's drawn him in!

Thought you'd appreciate that. I took him through some of the old raids he's missed CoB 5, 6, and 7 so far, and all of the ARR Extreme Primals which are actually pretty fun (except you Ifrit) to solo. I can't solo the HW's one yet, but I did get Rav to 20% but then he repeatedly enraged on me Guess my DPS was shit O_O haha.
    You did better than Ysayle did trying to solo him and she had full on Primal power!
    Give it another patch o' gear and you'll probably get him down easy enough. We've been FC farming him for the ol' bird, just a couple times a week on our FC night (we run a few different ones. Couple Bismark, couple Ravana, couple of a Triad, possibly Omega runs, and wrap up with maps).

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Samurai is a pretty fun job. I have no regrets making it my main. Glad the story's drawn him in!
    Yeah it looks really flashy and fun. I happen to REALLY like that they stepped out of the comfort zone a little bit with the concept of 1 ability that can do 3 different things, and I really like that they have a oGCD burn gauge.

I'll probably stick with leveling my DRG up second just because there's something about blood of the dragon/life of the dragon that I love. I've played a lot of MMORPGs in my day, but I don't know if I can think of a cooler LOOKING cooldown ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    You did better than Ysayle did trying to solo him and she had full on Primal power!
    Give it another patch o' gear and you'll probably get him down easy enough. We've been FC farming him for the ol' bird, just a couple times a week on our FC night (we run a few different ones. Couple Bismark, couple Ravana, couple of a Triad, possibly Omega runs, and wrap up with maps).
    Yeah I could just leverage the FC and spam farm it, but that's less fun if its free (to me). We have a group of 3, PLD WHM SAM, so I suspect we can probably 3 man all the primals once they hit 70. it'll be fun learning the mechanics to the ones I've never done before while trying to 3 man them lol.

Yeah I could just leverage the FC and spam farm it, but that's less fun if its free (to me). We have a group of 3, PLD WHM SAM, so I suspect we can probably 3 man all the primals once they hit 70. it'll be fun learning the mechanics to the ones I've never done before while trying to 3 man them lol.
    I get the appeal of the solo challenge. I just get a chuckle seeing him burned down in no time at all. I need to go back and hit Levi til I get a pony. Last one I need.

@Faroth

This is why I feel "free max level" is a good thing. Including a free job boost up to 70 for the next expac so you can dive right in would be amazing to get new players in the game. Right now its, oh bro, you cant play with me until you complete 500 quests. See ya in a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    This is why I feel "free max level" is a good thing. Including a free job boost up to 70 for the next expac so you can dive right in would be amazing to get new players in the game. Right now its, oh bro, you cant play with me until you complete 500 quests. See ya in a month!
    They added a job boost and story skip potion to the store that can get you started on Stormblood.

So you can if you want to. I imagine the potions will be updated post Stormblood to jump people to 70 and skip the Stormblood MSQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    They added a job boost and story skip potion to the store that can get you started on Stormblood.

So you can if you want to. I imagine the potions will be updated post Stormblood to jump people to 70 and skip the Stormblood MSQ.
    Oh I used one. Im just saying, most MMOs are including a 1 time free boost as an incentive to buy the epxac. Would be a solid idea for them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Same here. That mindset even carried over into WoW and I was constantly trying to fill empty space with DPS skills.
    A bit embarrassing when a few Holy Novas put me over one of the DPS players though.
    The last real fun I had in WoW was leveling an alt shaman as resto with a friend (who was tanking) and we both had full heirlooms. By the time we hit WotLK dungeons, it wasn't uncommon for me to be first on dps. There's frequent enough whack-a-mole in WoW raids that getting to dps a lot isn't always an option (or at least it seemed the case last I played, but that's been going on 2 years ago now).

I find the ability to provide significant dps at times from the healer role to be fun. No, I don't ever expect (nor want to see) a healer topping meters against competent dps who are actually trying to play optimally as possible, but to be able to carve a couple mins off the duration of an entire dungeon run is a good thing. Less time spent in the dungeon = less time your tank is being beat on = less healing required.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it's a ~70/30 split I'm ok with it. The one button mashing does get boring if the dungeon requires 20/80 though b/c there is barely anything to heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that was one interesting evening.

Two FC members had Eternal Bonding between them, people got outfits for it and such - was tired and went off afterwards. Moment later got message about Free Company drama and now I log in and see that FC pretty much split into two - raid team died along with it, so guess I'll just stick on Ex primals and leave savage content for other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post

Two FC members had Eternal Bonding between them, people got outfits for it and such - was tired and went off afterwards. Moment later got message about Free Company drama and now I log in and see that FC pretty much split into two - raid team died along with it, so guess I'll just stick on Ex primals and leave savage content for other people.
    From the outside looking in...people are fickle creatures.

Unrelated note: All the things are on sale on the Mogstation.

Your FC had a red wedding? O_O

I'm actually having more success with pugs than my static

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    All the things are on sale[/url] on the Mogstation.
    Ugh, I refuse to support this nonsense, but gods be damned I REALLY think about fantasia, name change and aymerics outfit at least once a week, but I can't bring myself to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I always wonder what the fuck drama people manage to find in a raid team. It seems to happen all the time, but it just seems so nonsensical. Like...what is there to be that upset about, other than simple functional stuff? (Not progressing, leadership failures, etc)
    Well those 2 examples probably make up 95% of it IMO. Leadership values/not progressing are actually pretty vague and encompass a lot of specific issues too lol.

I've had terrible luck with finding a static and a FC in FFXIV myself. Luckily Wrecktangle's situations holds true for me as well - the content I want to run can be done through the party finder. It just lacks that persistent social element that I crave.

Ugh, I refuse to support this nonsense, but gods be damned I REALLY think about fantasia, name change and aymerics outfit at least once a week, but I can't bring myself to do it.
    Now's a better opportunity to pull that off. Personally, I wouldn't; I limit myself strictly to fantasia, which I've bought 3 or 4 in the 2+ years I've played. I'm having to fight the notion to grab the Minfilia and/or Lightning outfits primarily for the hairstyles. Considering that fantasias are just about half that price...I think I'll just stick to that.