Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    ESPN pulled football announcer from his job because of his name. Oh btw he is Asian.

LOLOLOLOL peeps have lost their damn minds

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...rsity-virgini/
    They didn't pull him, he excused himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sormine View Post
    He's far from being a Nazi but he's pretty much the poster child of a confederate. And the confederates were literally dying to protect their rights to own and sell human beings.
    Lee was asked to lead the union army so I guess Lincoln didn't really care about that issue huh?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/b...ttesville.html

Funny how a different source will add a different perspective. Apparently he was only switched off a game at Charlottesville (due to recent protest), rather than being outright fired. Furthermore you can see the regret both ESPN and Mr. Lee had about this occurrence but they *both* agree it was necessary for his safety.

It's astonishing that there are 15 pages condemning this action with few people bothering to fact check it themselves.
    Just feel this needs to be seen again

Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Lee was asked to lead the union army so I guess Lincoln didn't really care about that issue huh?
    I could argue that he didn't necessarily support slavery, personally. That doesn't change the fact that his legacy is one of representing a pro-slaver organization.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    They didn't pull him, he excused himself.
    He was pulled from the roster for UVA and put on the roster for Pittsburg. Voluntarily, sure but somewhere along the line some officials at ESPN were involved. No need to argue semantics

I could argue that he didn't necessarily support slavery, personally. That doesn't change the fact that his legacy is one of representing a pro-slaver organization.
    That's if you believe that the civil war was fought over slavery. The treatment of blacks after the war should tell you all you need to know about how the north and the us gov really cared about them. The lack of integrating the slaves or doing more than saying "your free now piss off and be 1/3 a person" is what lead to the formation of the kkk.

That's if you believe that the civil war was fought over slavery. The treatment of blacks after the war should tell you all you need to know about how the north and the us gov really cared about them. The lack of integrating the slaves or doing more than saying "your free now piss off and be 1/3 a person" is what lead to the formation of the kkk.
    The war was fought over slavery. Historians will agree with this, sometimes it is as straight forward as it seems.

So shall we literally ignore that states and leaders of the confederacy who were making it about slavery? Should we ignore the pro south newspapers that were making it about slavery?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    No but my point is that you don't know what irony is, it isn't funny, you just don't like what I said. Me being pissed off that a guy loses out because of his NAME is the exact opposite of being a snowflake. Jesus christ.
    It's just like being a snowflake, because you got really triggered over basically nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    There is no slippery slope. The confederates betrayed the united states and lost, They get their statues removed. You don't see a big statue of Washington in trafalgar square do you?

You're just playing the Slippery Slope fallacy.
    I mean you say that but we're now censoring people because their name is similar to Robert E Lee.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It's also the name of a slave owner.
    So is Washington...... Lets rename 2 states.

He took the knee knowing it's disrespectful and that he would be called out on it. Then he went on to make himself into a bigger joke than he already was. I'm not upset at all. I'm just pointing out what happened and how it's different from some guy just having a name.
    Who is to really say what is disrespectful, and what isn't? This is a subjective issue, and people got really offended over a guy taking a knee. His actions harmed nobody, and the outrage was way beyond was should be deemed same. Talk about overreaction...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Kaepernick is paid millions. If he gave a fuck about his "cause" he could give them some money. What he's doing is just being a jackass.
    Umm, he did donate money. Why should people even care if some random dude takes a knee during the National Anthem. Conservatives are just as capable of being outraged SJWs as liberals are.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's just like being a snowflake, because you got really triggered over basically nothing.
    Triggered and snowflakes are cute words neither of which I've seen on this thread. It's funny, people are laughing at how utterly ridiculous this reaction by espn is. I fail to see anyone upset or mad over it. Sorry your not getting the reaction your searching for.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    I don't know why you're telling me this. I agree this shit is stupid. It's stupid that we're now censoring any reminder of the civil war because bad things happened. I'm just explaining why this happened.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The war was fought over slavery. Historians will agree with this, sometimes it is as straight forward as it seems.
    I think it's more likely they would agree it was fought over taxation, tariffs and states rights. The north only let go of slavery when they got Irish immigrants they could hire extremely cheaply, slaves by another name.

- - - Updated - - -

Who is to really say what is disrespectful, and what isn't? This is a subjective issue, and people got really offended over a guy taking a knee. His actions harmed nobody, and the outrage was way beyond was should be deemed same. Talk about overreaction...

It's considered taboo in this country. He did it on national tv and wanted the outrage. His goal was nothing more than popularity, it just backfired.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    Triggered and snowflakes are cute words neither of which I've seen on this thread. It's funny, people are laughing at how utterly ridiculous this reaction by espn is. I fail to see anyone upset or mad over it. Sorry your not getting the reaction your searching for.
    Oh, I'm seeing that reaction plenty, just like we saw with Kaepernick.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's more likely they would agree it was fought over taxation, tariffs and states rights. The north only let go of slavery when they got Irish immigrants they could hire extremely cheaply, slaves by another name.

- - - Updated - - -

It's considered taboo in this country. He did it on national tv and wanted the outrage. His goal was nothing more than popularity, it just backfired.
    So, it's clear that a lot of people were outraged by a guy kneeling. They really should grow some thicker skin. No w/o set ESPN chose to do this, people get upset at little things all the time.

[url]It's astonishing that there are 15 pages condemning this action with few people bothering to fact check it themselves.
    You change the narrative of the story to score political points. There for: all conservative blogs, and "news" sites are claiming that this guy got fired. This is political football (pun intended??), and less of a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    Don't forget, New York was named after James II, Duke of York, the head of the Royal African Company a slave trading company that supplied slaves to Jamestown.

So now we have to rename 3 states.

Conservatives are just as capable of being outraged SJWs as liberals are.
    No truer quote today....

1. If it were about taxation or tariffs, the war would have started during the nullification crisis of the 1830's
    2. It was about "states rights" in the sense that the states wanted to secure their right to allow legal slavery
    3. Irish immigrants may have endured poor working conditions (as did most workers at this time) but they were not legally owned by their employer and more distinctly their employer could not seize and sell their own children