Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No I eat pork too, I mean I never named it or tried to save it's life and was recognized for it, doesn't strike you odd in anyway huh
    Would you have an issue with them having corn on the cob if they saved the farmer's corn field from burning? Same difference.

The ONLY reason to make it different is if you're trying to say that eating meat is immoral.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Would you have an issue with them having corn on the cob if they saved the farmer's corn field from burning?
    Again it has as much to do with how that is percieved rather than the simple act of appreciation, You know damn well if it had been Lassie saved and offered up by the same farmer this would have been perceived as a much bigger deal

Same difference.

The ONLY reason to make it different is if you're trying to say that eating meat is immoral.
    That is why I am getting flak, people being defensive, and not getting the point the article isn't written about an appreciative farmer, it is a story precisely for the reasons people are defensive about it.

It makes no difference to me one way or another, I am just saying considering I am sure the firefighters aren't idiots, I am pretty damn sure they could figure as much out and didn't.

Any other articles about appreciative citizens?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Netherling View Post
    @Mall Security I think one of the reasons this story gained traction was because the fire fighters received criticism from offended people (like yourself, apparently) and were obliged to take down their appreciative message / picture from Facebook.
    Maybe, I think the reason the article was written in the fucking first place was because of the same shit.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Maybe they would have escaped, who knows they are just property, don't go pretending you give a frosty shit about the pain and suffering of a pig if you are behind the idea of knowing the specific pig that you are going eat later slaughtered in whatever fashion you deem more pleasant.
    Or maybe they would have burned to death and been a waste of resources.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I have no interest in owning a pig, so I'll go with the pork sausages - goes well with my pasta.
    Thanks for saving my house!

Mall, did someone kill your pet pig and make sausages out of it, by any chance?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Or maybe they would have burned to death and been a waste of resources.
    I am sure that wouldn't have been a story either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    Mall, did someone kill your pet pig and make sausages out of it, by any chance?
    Yes, me!

Again it has as much to do with how that is percieved rather than the simple act of appreciation, You know damn well if it had been Lassie saved and offered up by the same farmer this would have been perceived as a much bigger deal

Same difference.
    That's stupid and you know it... Lassie would be the one saving the firemen. But seriously, why compare it to a dog? We don't eat dogs. If the fire fighters saved a dog and were then given one as a pet, that would be a much more similar story and again would be no problem.

That is why I am getting flak, people being defensive, and not getting the point the article isn't written about an appreciative farmer, it is a story precisely for the reasons people are defensive about it.
    You're getting flak because you called the firemen dicks for accepting a gift from someone that was very appreciative of what they did.

10+ Year Old Account

Same difference.
    Hardly.

Dogs aren't generally raised for slaughter in North America, and Lassie in particular was a pet.

These pigs were livestock being raised for meat.

Like I said; your entire point is based on some concept that eating meat is "bad".

Maybe, I think the reason the article was written in the fucking first place was because of the same shit.
    When i read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-41012135 i took it as quite a light-hearted piece (which i think was how the whole things was meant) about a grateful farmer and some surprised firemen. Hell, it even includes a pun the fire fighters made. The Yahoo story has a much more inflammatory headline.

Deleted
    Hardly.

Dogs aren't generally raised for slaughter in North America, and Lassie in particular was a pet.

Like I said; your entire point is based on some concept that eating meat is "bad".
    You don't really know what Chinese immigrants in America raise on their farms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hardly.

North America sure, but then when you apply the same standard it is different, which is why this in an article.

And no my point isn't that meet is bad, I have already said I eat meat, I like bacon where exactly do you get that from outside of calling me a liar. Do I post a lot of animal welfare post, do you see me putting up videos on the plight or veganism.

The article was written for the reasons I said, and I called the firefighters dicks not because they eat meat, or because they appreciated a gift, but the nature specific to this article and this article alone.

Which wouldn't have been one if as many people including yourself didn't know the hell well exactly why not only it is an article, but where that conflict is or really could be.

- - - Updated - - -

When i read http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-41012135 i took it as quite a light-hearted piece (which i think was how the whole things was meant) about a grateful farmer and some surprised firemen. Hell, it even includes a pun the fire fighters made. The Yahoo story has a much more inflammatory headline.
    I don't doubt that and again I am NOT ALARMED or bothered by it especially. But regardless to the headline I am guessing the stories reasons are the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, the issue is Mall Security doesn't think people should make jokes about dead pigs?

Edit:
    I'm sorry, I just don't see the issue:
    - Pigs were raised to be slaughtered for meat
    - Said pigs were then slaughtered for meat

Were the pigs supposed to go to a petting zoo after being rescued or something?
    Last edited by Tikaru; 2017-08-23 at 09:38 PM.

Yes, me!

Well played! I lol'd!

No i think the reason for the story on the BBC website was just that, a bit of a light-hearted article. As i said, it included a joke and had a very positive tone throughout. The controversy is barely mentioned and is done so in a very concise and closed way. The fire fighters apologised and removed their post.

I agree the Yahoo News one represents it in a different way. That's why i don't read Yahoo News.

Edit: Even Peta blamed the firemen, as you did @Mall Security

"We'll be sending Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service packs of vegan sausages so that they can see how easy it is to truly be heroes for pigs - by sparing them all suffering," said spokesman Mimi Bekhechi.
    This seems to be a dig at them, saying they're not truly heroes for the pigs. THEY didn't kill the pigs!
    Last edited by Netherling; 2017-08-23 at 09:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No i think the reason for the story on the BBC website was just that, a bit of a light-hearted article. As i said, it included a joke and had a very positive tone throughout. The controversy is barely mentioned and is done so in a very concise and closed way. The fire fighters apologised and removed their post.

I agree the Yahoo News one represents it in a different way. That's why i don't read Yahoo News.
    Noo it isn't a light hearted article, it is a at best a little bit of dark humor WHICH IS FINE also. I am not suggesting burn them at the stake fire them, shame them or anything, all I said is that the fire fighters are dicks, and as one person pointed out it doesn't have to be all of them that agreed with this.

So, I retracted that statement, I still think it's pretty fucked up, though for no other reason than what is already apparent. Hell this isn't any worse or any better than the other News Puff news pieces about someone with courage managed to fall in love with someone born blind or something.

Dark humour is light-hearted in the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark humour is light-hearted in the UK.
    Hahaha honestly this I have gathered the long way.

Well NO, not especially, since the problem isn't with them eating or consuming meat, as much as it is with the fact these specific animals were rescued by the fire fighters and turned around and made into lunch.

It is what it is, but I am not going to pretend it isn't a dick move because it is, and obviously I am not the only one that agrees, because someone ran a story about it so.
    Someone ran the story because they wanted to raise a ruckus. It's a great example of "spinning a story" where there isn't one. It just happens to "sell" to feed nonsense like this to the online crowd of animal-rights crusaders.

and PETA adding their voice into the mix should only raise red flags among sane, good people. PETA is a hypocritical organization that openly support domestic terrorist groups.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2017-08-23 at 09:45 PM.

Edit: Even Peta blamed the firemen
    Yeah, the same Peta guys who advocated for the eradication of the pitbull race.

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/peta-j...ls-nationwide/

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    So, the issue is Mall Security doesn't think people should make jokes about dead pigs?
    It's pretty hard to tell what his issue is. Between random tangents and his inability to form coherent sentences, he's effectively Elba with shitty grammar.