Thread: Mt. Rushmore

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Even then, you're comparing people who literally fought to keep the institution of slavery in tact and those were actually proposed legislation to remove it.
    https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/am...clamation.html

Lincoln would have let them keep their slaves if they had surrendered early.
    Last edited by stomination; 2017-08-25 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    When only 1 side of an issue is being addressed and singled out by mods you're damn right I'm gonna call them out on their bullshit. It happens way too much with the mods on this site playing god in a children's playground, just banning people and removing comments because it doesn't mesh with their political opinion.
    I linked you the rule. It's not my fault you're clueless in it's application here. That's not a problem I can solve for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Deleted
    When only 1 side of an issue is being addressed and singled out by mods you're damn right I'm gonna call them out on their bullshit. It happens way too much with the mods on this site playing god in a children's playground, just banning people and removing comments because it doesn't mesh with their political opinion.
    Please, they've been far too lenient. In many european countries any pro-nazi comments would be treated as hate speech, think yourself lucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, if you've been watching Tucker Carlson on FOX news you would think that there is a literal war on white people and anything made by them people are trying to destroy .

I wish I was kidding as well, but the absolutely cringeworthy amount of self-victimization and painting anyone left of them as white-hating hooligans is sure to make people think that Mt. Rushmore wants to be destroyed too.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh lord . This might be a hard concept to grasp but you are not entitled for others and especially private entities to give you a platform for every bit of your opinions. This website isn't even close to to suppressing opinions as you're making it out to be and if you want a proper example of that go to /r/the_donald to try literally typing two words against Trump to get a permanent ban.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    then explain the vietnam memorial <.<
    I guess you didn't get the joke. It's a dig at the people that are against "participation trophies" for losing teams but also insist that monuments to the Confederacy must be preserved.

There is certainly a fringe of the far left that's down for dynamiting Rushmore. For example, check out this shitty blog from shitty leftist blogger and mediocre professor PZ Myers. His thoughts on some brave Indians flipping over Mt. Rushmore:
    That, also, is the appropriate response to the rocky jingo in South Dakota.
    Read the thread for more generally shitty attitudes and anti-white, anti-American rhetoric. Yeah, this is a weirdo fringe, but it's still someone that's employed as a professor. It's pretty hard to lose a university job by being too far left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There is certainly a fringe of the far left that's down for dynamiting Rushmore. For example, check out this shitty blog from shitty leftist blogger and mediocre professor PZ Myers. His thoughts on some brave Indians flipping over Mt. Rushmore:

Read the thread for more generally shitty attitudes and anti-white, anti-American rhetoric. Yeah, this is a weirdo fringe, but it's still someone that's employed as a professor. It's pretty hard to lose a university job by being too far left.
    Here we are. Removing symbols of white supremacy is anti-white. Now we're in full victim mode.

How do you even perceive it as anti-american? As someone pointed out above: glorifying the confederacy is one of the most anti-patriotic things you can do.

I always see people say Lee was a complicated individual. I suppose it's only fitting then that he's hated by people who don't understand him as they fight for something he would have agreed with, while also proving he was right in regards to this all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    I like how this is only a problem for white people. For example, you don't see anyone calling for the Egyptian pyramids to be torn down, even though the pharaohs who built them were the most prolific slave owners in human history.
    so true hell there are some middle eastern countries that still allow slavery how messed up is that
    mr pickles

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I'm proud to be Scottish.

I just think all the "it's racist" BS has gotten out of control in the U.S. I'm not saying ignore clearly racist problems, just focus on legitimate issues, so the the real racism isn't passed off as 'people just complaining again' because we're all sick of hearing about it.
    Yeah, well I am proud that I stand with people when they speak up for themselves no matter how they were born. Once every so often someone tries to suggest looking at a woman's food is sexist or rape, doesn't mean I am applying that to the majority. Some people are either stupid, or just really misinformed, but I would never pawn that off as women just need to shut up one way or another.

I guess it just depends on where you come down on a issue. I personally don't care about mount Rushmore. Whether I find it offensive or not, and just because I find it offensive so what, doesn't make it racist either. But if some Native American kid who lives there says otherwise, who am I to tell him to shut up.

Maybe he falls into that category of just being stupid, or misinformed, or maybe, just maybe he comes from a perspective I don't. Still he shouldn't shut up, and we don't need to take it down either.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Here we are. Removing symbols of white supremacy is anti-white. Now we're in full victim mode.

How do you even perceive it as anti-american? As someone pointed out above: glorifying the confederacy is one of the most anti-patriotic things you can do.
    You realize I'm referring to Mt. Rushmore and linking to someone writing about the matter, right?

I've never had a positive word to say about the confederacy. For example:
    We agree on the core meaning of the flag here. I'm happy to spit on a Confederate flag. I'm from New York, have had pride in the Union of the United States since I was a small child, and have contempt for racist ideology.
    More pointedly, my response to this:
    “We are descendants of Confederate veterans,” they said.
    Your ancestors are traitors, I spit on their memory, and I laugh at the weakness of the CSA. Monuments to Sherman should stand in downtown Atlanta as a reminder of what happens to traitors.

You realize I'm referring to Mt. Rushmore and linking to someone writing about the matter, right?

Who knows maybe one of your ancestors is one of them vets.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Who knows maybe one of your ancestors is one of them vets.
    Nah, we're Yankees through and through. None of my family ever lived in the South.

That said, I don't particularly begrudge anyone the memory of their particular ancestors, rhetoric aside. A people have the right to celebrate their fallen soldiers, even if they were fallen for an evil cause. Celebrating the cause is unforgivably stupid and using dead soldiers as a reason to do so is a cheap emotional ploy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabatakis View Post
    I wouldn't say nothing to do with traitorious part, but the main part is slavery. Like the part where these guys wanted slaves so bad they turned traitor on their country and were more than willing to kill countrymen so they could have them. This during a time when people were realising slaves are humans too, so you can't even say they are a product of their time like the founding fathers.

You don't hold it against someone for doing things normal of the time. You do if times are changing and they are willing to turn traitor and kill to resist said progress. Still, it really comes down to loosers don't get trophies. Had they won there would surely be lots of monuments to them with no one looking to tear them down. But they didn't, they lost and lost decisively.
    The problem though is that Lincoln was going to let them keep their slaves if they surrendered by a certain date. Nothing was progressing...The south and north both had slaves.

Deleted
    I don't have white pride. I did say I have Scottish Pride, though
    You said you were being made to feel guilt about being white. I don't believe that has ever happened to you, or for that matter 99.9% of white people.

Thread warning. Do not discuss moderation on the forums. If you do so after this point then you will get an infraction. If you are unhappy with an infraction then you can appeal the infraction. If you have an issue with the moderation then raise that issue with the blues. If you feel that a post breaks the rules then you should report the post.

The rules can be found here and are linked at the top of the forums.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php

10+ Year Old Account

My problem is, that this whole Mt. Rushmore feels a lot like a strawman, which only came up after trump mused about it. Let me make this very clear: Putting down Mt. Rushmore is stupid, and i don't think any SANE public person would argue for that in their right mind. Fringe elements sadly exist, as well as trolls.

Whats my problem about this: The original debate about the statues is in my opinion justified as most of them (especially the ones in question) where built at a time where there only purpose was to demonstrate white supremacy. I think this is an important part of US history, because it shows the backlash to progress as well as the rise of the KKK, etc. I think everybody should know about this era, Jim Crow, as it explains a lot about your country and why some people behave as they do. But the belong in a museum, not on a place of honor.

So sorry if you got directed by this criticism, but i somehow get the impression that the whole Mt. Rushmore debate is fabricated to distract from the very legitimate case of the confederate statues.

In case of Mt. Rushmore i essentially agree with you, so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    It's not vandalism. It's called direct action.

- - - Updated - - -

a) The Pyramids were build by paid workers.

b) The Pyramids are priceless historic monuments and part of human heritage. The confederate statues are mass produced sheet metal put up decades after the war. They serve no purpose besides glorifying traitors.
    This is the kind of euphemistic and politically correct language that fascism LOVES. Reminds me of when people used to actually believe and say: It's not assassination, it's termination with extreme prejudice. We're just going to "remove" or "eliminate redundancies" in the human resources department. This is bullshit straight from tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    The problem though is that Lincoln was going to let them keep their slaves if they surrendered by a certain date. Nothing was progressing...The south and north both had slaves.
    True, but in the North, aside the Union Border states, there weren't new slaves anymore, so slavery in the north was disappearing. In addition, the southern slave states, did a major fuckup, to spread slavery, for example in Kansas, into newly formed states.
    Lincoln would have taken the South back, with slaves in chains, to preserve the union, and spare a bloody civil war. But on the long term, with, or without Lincoln, Slavery was a dying concept, which didn't serve a purpose in the north anymore. The south did fuck up, way before Lincoln, including the infamous caning of Sumner and much more.

Deleted
    I didn't post it to convince you or anyone else. Don't believe it - I don't care.
    Obviously you hoped to convince someone or you wouldn't have said it.