Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    Well he just cost Senator Flake his job next year.
    Flake has been pretty vocal before and after the pardon. He seemed to really hate this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Flake has been pretty vocal before and after the pardon. He seemed to really hate this idea.
    Considering the nature of how pardons are supposed to work he is actually in the right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Analysis: Trump's bold Joe Arpaio pardon breaks with presidential tradition

Almost everything about President Trump's pardon of former Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio was unusual.

Trump chose a politically polarizing anti-immigration sheriff as the recipient of his first pardon — the kind of controversial grant of clemency recent presidents have reserved for the 11th hour rather than their first act.

Arpaio didn't meet the Justice Department guidelines for a pardon. His conviction wasn't five years old, he hadn't expressed remorse and he hadn't even applied to the Office of Pardon Attorney.

The day before, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the president would follow a "thorough and standard process" in considering the pardon. That process usually requires seven layers of review and an FBI background check.

No matter. The constitutional authority to "grant pardons and reprieves for offenses against the United States" is arguably the most absolute powers a president has.

He has to work with Congress to pass bills, appoint cabinet secretaries or negotiate treaties. But a pardon can be granted with the stroke of a pen — sometimes not even that — and can't be overturned by the Congress or the courts. Once delivered, not even the president himself can take it back.

Despite the absolute nature of the power — or perhaps because of it — presidents are often downright shy about it.

President Harry Truman didn't publicly disclose his pardons. President Gerald Ford pardoned his predecessor, Richard Nixon, on a Sunday morning with no advance warning. President George H.W. Bush pardoned key figures in the Iran-Contra affair only after losing re-election. President Bill Clinton pardoned fugitive financier Mark Rich, two Democratic congressmen, a figure in the Whitewater scandal and his own brother — all on his last day in office.

None of them telegraphed their intentions quite like Trump, who had been openly hinting at the Arpaio pardon for two weeks. "I think he’s going to be just fine," Trump said at a campaign rally in Phoenix on Tuesday. But he said he wouldn't announce the pardon then because it would be too "controversial."

"This is just the most in-your-face gesture imaginable for the pardon power," said Mark Rozell, dean of the public policy school at George Mason University and a pardon scholar. "We're going to pardon someone who hasn’t admitted that what he's done is a crime, and has shown no remorse."

Indeed, President Ronald Reagan refused to pardon the Iran-Contra figures, including Lt. Col. Oliver North, because it would signal that North had done something illegal that needed pardoning. While a pardon can undo a conviction in the eyes of the law, it can also condemn them in the eyes of history.

"From the very beginning I've said that to consider a pardon would leave — even if I did that — would leave them under a shadow of guilt for the rest of their lives," Reagan said the month before he left office.

President Donald Trump has pardoned former Sheriff Joe Arpaio from his criminal contempt conviction, removing the only legal consequences the lawman faced stemming from a racial-profiling suit.

Trump chose a politically polarizing anti-immigration sheriff as the recipient of his first pardon — the kind of controversial grant of clemency recent presidents have reserved for the 11th hour rather than their first act.

Arpaio didn't meet the Justice Department guidelines for a pardon. His conviction wasn't five years old, he hadn't expressed remorse and he hadn't even applied to the Office of Pardon Attorney.

The day before, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said the president would follow a "thorough and standard process" in considering the pardon. That process usually requires seven layers of review and an FBI background check.

No matter. The constitutional authority to "grant pardons and reprieves for offenses against the United States" is arguably the most absolute powers a president has.

He has to work with Congress to pass bills, appoint cabinet secretaries or negotiate treaties. But a pardon can be granted with the stroke of a pen — sometimes not even that — and can't be overturned by the Congress or the courts. Once delivered, not even the president himself can take it back.

Despite the absolute nature of the power — or perhaps because of it — presidents are often downright shy about it.

President Harry Truman didn't publicly disclose his pardons. President Gerald Ford pardoned his predecessor, Richard Nixon, on a Sunday morning with no advance warning. President George H.W. Bush pardoned key figures in the Iran-Contra affair only after losing re-election. President Bill Clinton pardoned fugitive financier Mark Rich, two Democratic congressmen, a figure in the Whitewater scandal and his own brother — all on his last day in office.

None of them telegraphed their intentions quite like Trump, who had been openly hinting at the Arpaio pardon for two weeks. "I think he’s going to be just fine," Trump said at a campaign rally in Phoenix on Tuesday. But he said he wouldn't announce the pardon then because it would be too "controversial."

"This is just the most in-your-face gesture imaginable for the pardon power," said Mark Rozell, dean of the public policy school at George Mason University and a pardon scholar. "We're going to pardon someone who hasn’t admitted that what he's done is a crime, and has shown no remorse."

Indeed, President Ronald Reagan refused to pardon the Iran-Contra figures, including Lt. Col. Oliver North, because it would signal that North had done something illegal that needed pardoning. While a pardon can undo a conviction in the eyes of the law, it can also condemn them in the eyes of history.

"From the very beginning I've said that to consider a pardon would leave — even if I did that — would leave them under a shadow of guilt for the rest of their lives," Reagan said the month before he left office.

In pardoning Arpaio — who had been convicted just last month for defying a judge's order to release from jail people suspected of nothing more than an immigration offense — Trump also bypassed 2,270 other pending applications for pardons, most of which have been waiting for years.

P.S. Ruckman Jr., a political scientist who has studied the history of presidential pardons, says Trump's use of a pardon for Arpaio looks more like crass politics than a serious use of an important presidential power.

"This looks more like a stunt," he said. "He’ll get the mileage out of it, and the publicity, and rile up the base."

After dangling the possibility of a pardon so publicly, he said, "it would be bizarre if he didn't pardon the guy."
    Bolded for reality TV show.

15+ Year Old Account
    So Trump finally declares a state of emergency.

And pardons a blatant racist sack of shit.

And bans transgenders from the military officially.

Hey guys, you remember when the BernieBros were like "TRUMP IS THE BEST THING FOR LGBT! And he totally isn't racist!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, why didn't dumbass Twitler just wait till the sentencing? Arpaio might have gotten a slap on the wrist. Now he's still guilty, but Trump takes yet another PR hit.

Wait, why didn't dumbass Twitler just wait till the sentencing? Arpaio might have gotten a slap on the wrist. Now he's still guilty, but Trump takes yet another PR hit.
    He wanted to reinforce his base? I don't know what to expect anymore with his "reasoning" nothing makes sense. I doubt Arpaio was going to get anything serious anyways...

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt Arpaio was going to get anything serious anyways...
    Yeah, the guy might have been a convicted racist and bully, but he was also 85. They weren't going to throw him in gen pop.

10+ Year Old Account
    He wanted to reinforce his base? I don't know what to expect anymore with his "reasoning" nothing makes sense. I doubt Arpaio was going to get anything serious anyways...
    Yea he's too old to get anything other than probation

The race this might make interesting is Governor

Probably because his base were going to be upset about the Gorka firing, balances it out for them I guess.

Now he just needs to end the DACA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    Now he just needs to end the DACA.
    So, I take it, you like this idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    Yea he's too old to get anything other than probation

The race this might make interesting is Governor
    Like Skroe pointed out earlier in another topic the Governor races are the true showdown in 2018 not the Federal offices.

I live in Arizona and i saw this coming a mile away!

Arizona went trump by 4 points and a independent took 3 points in 2016

I can tell you now working with alot of hispanics as i do (iam white btw) that he can kiss Arizona goodbye in 2020!

He better pray his rust belt support holds otherwise when he gets invited to Mr Burns party the guards will say 'NO ONE TERMERS!'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by efhtkgjgk View Post
    He better pray his rust belt support holds
    Nope. Dropping fast there.

I live in Arizona and i saw this coming a mile away!

Arizona went trump by 4 points and a independent took 3 points in 2016

I can tell you now working with alot of hispanics as i do (iam white btw) that he can kiss Arizona goodbye in 2020!

He better pray his rust belt support holds otherwise when he gets invited to Mr Burns party the guards will say 'NO ONE TERMERS!'
    People here in Ohio, which if you disregard along the river which basically at West Virginia levels of obsession with him which makes sense, Republicans are really embarrassed with whats going on. I mean you have Kasich is basically going to run as a 3rd option in 2020 and the Republican congressmen are just pinching their noses to hopefully get some tax and business regulations through and as a "friend" puts it if Trump doesn't deliver "we will stand with you to get him out".

Nope. Dropping fast there.
    I knew alot of Hispanics who actually voted for trump in 2016 but now they hate him with a absolute passion and seeing how the state of Arizona is nearly 40 percent latino oh boy is he FUCKED!

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew alot of Hispanics who actually voted for trump in 2016 but now they hate him with a absolute passion and seeing how the state of Arizona is nearly 40 percent latino oh boy is he FUCKED!
    15 months is a long time in politics.

But this could be his civil rights movement moment for the Southwest. (In the LBJ quote way of "We'll lose the south for 30 years" sort of way
    Last edited by Seiklis; 2017-08-26 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    15 months is a long time in politics
    That it is.

The saying goes 'A week is a long time in politics' and its true i bet most of the fiascos Trump has made will be forgotten the time this year ends but dont bet that the Hispanics will forget especially in my home state of Arizona.

Arizona is a red state because of the old people in Sun City and because of the Mormons and at the moment the Mormons fucking hate him and the old people are dying off fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the coward pardons the racist when he knows the country isn't paying attention to him.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    The real question should be:

Is this to sidetrack the transgender ban?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..