Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is everyone alright?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Is everyone alright?
    Waiting to hear from family in Houston this morning, last night around 2AM "Shitloads of rain"
    Guildmate in Houston bailed to family in DFW area.
    Friend near Galvaston saw it coming, took 2 weeks vacation starting few days ago. Locked up her house, took her prized/favorite items that were easily movable and is staying with friends near Denison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Waiting to hear from family in Houston this morning, last night around 2AM "Shitloads of rain"
    Guildmate in Houston bailed to family in DFW area.
    Friend near Galvaston saw it coming, took 2 weeks vacation starting few days ago. Locked up her house, took her prized/favorite items that were easily movable and is staying with friends near Denison.
    Here hoping all turns out well!! Good luck!!
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    I can wish that people don't suffer and Trump fucks it up at the same time.
    Well Trump already made several controversial decisions on a Friday during a major hurricane so that he would avoid as much press coverage as possible. I'd consider that fucking up.

Hopefully people don't suffer from the hurricane, but if you stayed and your area was under mandatory evacuation, ya'll are dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is everyone alright?
    It's a little early to tell -- water damage is going to keep happening for a while -- but the first early-light reports I've seen are better than I expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's a little early to tell -- water damage is going to keep happening for a while -- but the first early-light reports I've seen are better than I expected.
    Yeah, I saw an alert saying it was downgraded to a cat 1 when it made land fall. I need to sleep in more...

I hope Trump voters die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I hope Trump voters die.
    anal [backstab]... don't buy into the tact...

Edit: just realized I might be the only one to understand what I mean there...

Don't get trolled so hard, you start wishing the trolls die. That's how they win...

anal [backstab]... don't buy into the tact...

Edit: just realized I might be the only one to understand what I mean there...

Don't get trolled so hard, you start wishing the trolls die. That's how they win...
    Didn't have anything to do with what you were talking about, I just honestly hope people who voted for trump die, not because our ideology doesn't align, but because I think the human race is better off without them. #humanist

I hope Trump voters die.
    Valar morghulis.

Your political misery brings joy.

Quote Originally Posted by stormdash View Post
    valar morghulis.

Your political misery brings joy.
    #triggered

Very much like 200kph, yes. For those of you unfamiliar, 125 MPH/ 200 KPH winds generate about 40 pounds per square foot, meaning the average human (16 square feet of skin) would feel about 140 pounds of force just standing outside. It would take about as much force to remain standing as it would be to somehow walk straight upwards. Meanwhile, a standard telephone pole -- 27 inches across and 25 feet high -- would feel a literal ton of force. It's not tornado force, but it's a lot.
    I'm confused on your math. Lets say 2/5 of the skin is facing the wind. So 6sqft * 40lbs=240lbs. What am I missing? How did you get 140lbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

#triggered
    Yeah, the arbiter of triggered-ness is the guy whose shit is so untogether he just wished death on 60 million people.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Yeah, the arbiter of triggered-ness is the guy whose shit is so untogether he just wished death on 60 million people.
    Kinda like Hitler, aka Trump your hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I'm confused on your math. Lets say 2/5 of the skin is facing the wind. So 6sqft * 40lbs=240lbs. What am I missing? How did you get 140lbs?
    I assumed a cylindrical person.

You'd be surprised often things that sound ridiculous are close to the real numbers.

So far from an outsiders perspective, it seems instead of focusing as much on the hurricane as possible he went and pardoned a racist sheriff and signed a policy to ban transgenders in the military, so it's not looking good.

As for the hurricane, last I heard from someone in the area that was originally supposed to be hit, it wasn't as bad as expected - he didn't even really get rain. But I'm not sure exactly where he lives in tprelation to the hurricane. Hopefully everyone will be alright.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Hopefully everyone will be alright.
    Indeed. From what I've actually seen, it's not as bad as expected overall. Of course we're not done -- there's going to be a lot of damage to the area's economy -- but at least the loss of life is low.

I assumed a cylindrical person.

You'd be surprised often things that sound ridiculous are close to the real numbers.
    This makes sense. I don't know why I was just like, 1/2 minus some. Lazy I guess. Got ~200lbs when I did it using cylinder+6' height, but that's also ignoring the fact a lot of the skin is in contact with itself. I like your guesstimate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I like your guesstimate.
    Thanks. The telephone pole was much easier to assume cylindrical.

Again, 125mph/200kph winds are nothing to sneeze at, but the real issues will come from the rain. And, side effect, the heavily polluted drinking water caused by the rain. A "boil order" is next to meaningless to the 300,000 without power. Expect, nay demand, clean water to be brought in with all speed. Some beer companies do this when the situation requires it, and it's cool as hell to see that happen.

- - - Updated - - -

HURRICANE HARVEY: HOW TO HELP VICTIMS WITH MONEY AND BLOOD DONATIONS, WHERE TO VOLUNTEER

I'll cut to the chase:

The Red Cross:
    https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurr...ampaign=harvey
    http://www.redcross.org/volunteer/be...olunteer#step1

The Salvation Army:
    https://give.salvationarmyusa.org/si...04F1F68DC582D2

The South Texas Blood and Tissue Center
    https://southtexasblood.org/Harvey

Americares:
    https://publicgood.com/org/americare...1008595/donate

Catholic Charities USA
    https://catholiccharitiesusa.org/
    *Not rated by Charity Navigator, likely, because it is a church group and as such, does not file IRS form 990. Don't let "unrated" scare you off, they're one of the most influential charities in the country.

Driscoll Children’s Hospital, in/near Corpus Christi and pretty much ground zero for Harvey
    http://www.driscollchildrens.org/

The Texas Diaper Bank
    http://www.texasdiaperbank.org/

SPCA of Texas
    https://spca.org/give

AirBnB has started a site to help with lodging for people displaced by the hurricane. Obviously this is a different form of charity than everything listed above.
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/disaster/hu...harveyevacuees

Oh look two Texas Senators asking for federal relief money when they voted against Hurricane Sandy's.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...eclaration?amp
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!