Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    We are thinking of having our daughter return at LEAST half of it.
    No, it is a true story.
    We have already had a talk with our daughter. She said she tried to give back $60 of it.
    I'm leaning towards fake because you said you are 'thinking' of having her do that, and literally 3 minutes later, which is not enough time to post, talk to her, read replies, and post again that you already did.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, we think this sets a bad precedent. We think it sets unrealistic expectations for our daughter.
    Your daughter got paid more for working less and your complaining? What exactly are you teaching her, to work for slave wages and extremely long hours?
    You should say she worked many hours and ask for another $50. That is one clean pool man.
    Thoughts? I don't care about the opinions of non parents on this issue.
    Really? You don't wanna hear from non parents? You posted on a game forum, what exactly are you expecting to hear from?
    I have twins and until today, nobody has ever paid either one more than $20 an hour, and usually it is $15. And we are just fine with that.
    Let me guess, you aren't in favor of a $15 minimum wage?
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2017-08-26 at 02:26 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have two daughters and that doesn't sound like a lot of money for the services.

Pools don't take 5 minutes to clean and having someone you trust going in and out of your place goes a long way to prevent break-ins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is "Cleaning a pool" the new slang for prostitution

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Return half. Life is tough and nothing is free. This sets unrealistic expectations.
    Exactly, life is hard, unfair and people will try to screw you at every opportunity.

The lesson here is take what you can get, not that you HAVE to work hard for stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    If you really have a problem with it...go talk to your neighbour about. Don't punish your daughter because they were "too generous"...think about the precedent that would set.
    This is the answer.

Your daughter did nothing wrong.

Now my opinion is she got paid fairly. let me explain, she was responsible for the pool staying clean, that requires a decent amount of responsibility. What you are telling her is that responsibility has no reward, she was responsible and evidently did a good job unsupervised. Let her enjoy "being responsible"

My neighbors son mows my grass in the summer. I pay him $75 bucks every two weeks and he does a great job, on time, never late, edges, weed eats and cleans up the grass. he wanted $50, to me it was worth $75 since I dont have to do it.

Even if it's disproportionate, it's still reinforcing work ethic early. I don't see any reason to have her return any of it, just tell her to put it in her college fund or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    and my wife and I are not happy about it.

The story is simple. A neighbor hired her to clean their pool skimmer basket each day while they were away on vacation. They were gone 6 days and it took about 5 minutes a day, but she didn't have to clean the baskets one day because the professional cleaner was there.

Anyway, we think this sets a bad precedent. We think it sets unrealistic expectations for our daughter.

I have twins and until today, nobody has ever paid either one more than $20 an hour, and usually it is $15. And we are just fine with that.
    Laughable. Good for your daughter for making some extra cash. If those folks are willing to pay, so be it. But I am not a parent, so my opinion is not good enough for you. But as a nonparent, your idea of returning half the money is stupid.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

No.

Teach your daughter that she's worth it. Teach her that she has value. Teach her that her time is valuable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

10+ Year Old Account

The story is simple. A neighbor hired her to clean their pool skimmer basket each day while they were away on vacation. They were gone 6 days and it took about 5 minutes a day, but she didn't have to clean the baskets one day because the professional cleaner was there.

.....are you serious? i would love to make 200$ an hour as would probably 80-90% of the forum.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    You appear to have some very tasty bait OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    you cant have her do shit, if you were my parents id knock your brains out if you tried to take my money.
    We have a tough guy on our hands.

You're ok with 20$ an hour but 20$ a day is to much?

Your neighbors told your daughter to go over every day and check/empty the skimmer. Doesnt matter if it took her 5 mins or an hour. She went over every single day they were gone.

As a parent, you should probably give your kids up for adoption. You definitely shouldnt have kids if you're going to punish them for what other people do and they would be better off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazan Julio View Post
    God please stop feeding this troll bitch.
    THIS so fucking much.

I appreciate you. You seem like a good person. Maybe have her ask the couple if they'd like to have some money back. Idk, I just wanted to say I appreciated the mindset.
    Also I just realized everyone thinks this is a troll question. Why? It's a good lesson that things should be earned not given. Now the part about not wanting opinions from non-parents is a bit aggressive, but other than that, I don't see the issue here.
    Last edited by Thrive; 2017-08-26 at 03:18 PM.

TLDR

If you are good looking, even $1000 a night is possible.

Do it while she is still young.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about umm... TALKING to your daughter and EXPLAINING to her that this, while certainly a cool incident, is not the norm?
    She should be old enough to understand reasonable logic, if not, you failed as a parent in letting her work.

I find the "give half of it back!11" way of an overreaction that makes you look weird to your neighbor and will needlessly anger the kid.

send her to my house... i'll pay 50 bucks for a good clean hour of work... send her at least once every other day... and bring buckets.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like youre jealous tbh. Does she need to give back her prize when she wins something at a bingo game at a friends birthday party too?

On a more serious note, everyone has some windfalls in their life. Instead of forcing her to give back some of the money, teach her how to not waste it right away. Ill have to make some assumptions for the next part, so forgive me if theyre wrong. Your neighbours have a professional cleaner and a pool, so theyre likely very hesitant to have some stranger visit their house every day. Hiring a company/professional for the same task of 5 minutes every day for a week wouldve probably cost $100 or more anyway. And tbh even if its just your neighbours house, she should be paid more for working 5 minutes every day for 6 days than for 30 minutes at once, just for availability and the extra effort.

You also have to be careful what youre teaching her. She already declined once from what you said, and your neighbours still gave her the money. Repeatedly refusing gifts or making her fel ashamed or guilty for getting them is a bad lesson. Just like its very important to be able to give and receive a compliment, so is knowing how to accept a gift. Your daughters help mightve meant a lot more to your neighbours than you assume from the 5 minutes of work.

Just explain to her that it's not common. No need to make her feel bad for accepting extra money. All too often people low-ball their own time and effort because they have this silly sense of guilt over accepting money.