Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man, I have done tougher tasks for less money and still been appreciative for it. I used to shovel driveways in the winter for people for far less than that. Heck, I'd do it for a few bucks, but I had the odd neighbor who would give me a 5 up to a 20. Even I understood the value of money and that not everyone is going to give you a massive wad for doing a little bit of work.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    and my wife and I are not happy about it.

The story is simple. A neighbor hired her to clean their pool skimmer basket each day while they were away on vacation. They were gone 6 days and it took about 5 minutes a day, but she didn't have to clean the baskets one day because the professional cleaner was there.

Anyway, we think this sets a bad precedent. We think it sets unrealistic expectations for our daughter.

We are thinking of having our daughter return at LEAST half of it.

Thoughts? I don't care about the opinions of non parents on this issue.

I have twins and until today, nobody has ever paid either one more than $20 an hour, and usually it is $15. And we are just fine with that.
    You aren't teaching your kid anything good. If someone paid my daughter $100 I'd be pretty happy for her. My daughter is also smart enough to know that $100 is unrealistic for 30 minutes, but at the same time won't turn down $100

This just proves how utterly ignorant you are. Just because you have children it does not automatically make your opinions or thoughts better than someone who does not have children - it's the most ignorant thought you can have as a parent.

You should be asking for peoples advice regardless.

If it makes you and your wife uncomfortable then that is your issue. Clearly your neighbours think it's reasonable to pay that much, and if they are comfortable in paying that much then why not. You should be allowing your child to grasp any beneficial opportunity that they get in life - restricting them otherwise is bad parenting.

The story is simple. A neighbor hired her to clean their pool skimmer basket each day while they were away on vacation. They were gone 6 days and it took about 5 minutes a day, but she didn't have to clean the baskets one day because the professional cleaner was there.

Anyway, we think this sets a bad precedent. We think it sets unrealistic expectations for our daughter.

I have twins and until today, nobody has ever paid either one more than $20 an hour, and usually it is $15. And we are just fine with that.
    Have you even stopped to consider how much that professional was charging them? Maybe 20$ a day was a deal. Also, how could they anticipate how much work she would need to be doing? What if the week was particularly windy, and the pool was cluttered with leaves and debris each day, and it took her 2 hours to do the job? Would you then be here bitching they didn't pay her enough?

Many people pay a rate, in these circumstances, to cover contingencies...just to make sure they aren't ripping the person off if things happen to go tougher than expected.

Come to think of it, this should be a warning for anyone you hire to watch over things when you're on vacation: "Please come over each day and do XYZ, be sure to log your time and actual work performed. When we return, we will then go over it, and you will be paid accordingly."

This topic is a little silly.

OP sounds jealous of his daughter honestly.

The person paid her what he thought was fair. It wasn't a single 30 minute task.

Get over it. As long as she understands that for that amount she normally would need to do more work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah that is pretty realistic. In the real world some people get paid ridiculous amounts of money for very little "work".

Hired her to clean the pool while they have a pool cleaner? Time to figure out why they are really paying your daughter anything, because it isn't for pool services.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Teach your kid about money and its worth, having her return the money serves no lasting purpose.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

You are on a forum where maybe 0.01% are parents. Get out or get real

In any case, your daughter did the right thing. Be happy she's making those 200$ / hour like this, and not in any other way. If you know what I mean.

Then go whine about it to your neighbors, they clearly thought that paying her $100 was acceptable.

Your daughter is hopefully not dumb enough to expect such a wage to be realistic in a real job scenario.

Also trying to force her to return some of the money serves absolutely no purpose.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2017-08-26 at 03:49 PM.

Some people are just generous and pay too much for trivial things for whatever reason. She shouldn't give any of it back or she may end up insulting your neighbor. If you are really concerned with the precedent it sets take 40% of it for yourself and tell her its a learning experience on paying taxes. Frankly you seem to be overreacting.

Deleted
    What kind of lesson do you want to teach your daughter?!

"You earned money on your own. I think it is too much so give it back."

What a valuable lesson...

Holy cow, am I happy that my parenmts weren't crazy.

It seems kind of fishy for pay anyone that amount of money for less than 30 minutes of work. I wouldn't ask my son or daughter to give back the money if that happened.

/shrug

/absorbed into the Light.

Im a mom and back when I was way younger *sniffle* I used to be a pet sitter and I was paid 100 bucks a day to come in and clean 5 cat boxes (the couple had no kids so they had like 15 cats) and make sure the cats had proper food and water.

If my daughter was in the same situation it would be a learning experience for her cause she could have 40 bucks as free money and save the rest.

Deleted
    at least she didn't earn it sucking cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Maybe their son did something, so they pay a little bit extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    This is obviously bait.
    agreed
    /100000

I was expecting something else to be honest while reading the title...
    War within is boring and lazy - beat me to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... you're mad she made more than you expected? What's wrong with you

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I see a teenage pregnancy on the way.
    ...Yeah, the situation seems sketchy enough that if I were you I would seriously worry about the service having been something other than cleaning the pool, esp. if there is a professional pool cleaner where is the logic in that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    How do you know that?