The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just rewatched the last three episodes of the 11th Doctor's time on Doctor Who.

Crying like a little baby, of course... again.

That part where Amelia Pond (Karen Gillan) comes back for just a few moments and the music is just overbearingly emotional.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    I am packing my stuff up for the hurricane.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Stay safe friend, see you once it blows over!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck with the hurricane. Looks pretty bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10 finally did the proper update. Shut down with the update selection selected and it kept not updating... for some reason finally restarting "to start updates" worked.

For some reason MS Paint is still here, though. Wasn't it supposed to disappear?
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    For some reason MS Paint is still here, though. Wasn't it supposed to disappear?
    "MS Paint is here to stay, it will just have a new home soon, in the Windows Store where it will be available for free."
    Source.

Re: Graphics Cards

I agree, @evn and @Remilia that middle of the line graphics cards typically are the best bang for the buck as a general rule. It could be different on a personal level depending on their upgrade habits. (Upgrade frequently or upgrade only when experiencing severe performance degradation.) I know I tend to lean towards the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Might be time to bust out my ergodox and give it a try…but of course it's USB and this notebook is USB-C only so I need to go find an adapter vending machine and hope it's got what I need.
    Vending machine with electronics in it? The heck? The only time I can recall seeing one of those was in airports.

Also, so far no dropped keystrokes since I reflashed it... *knocks on wood*

God speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Could have sworn I'd have to reinstall it.

Maybe they mean for all future machines/installations?
    "A flower.

Could have sworn I'd have to reinstall it.

Maybe they mean for all future machines/installations?
    That was for the update coming in the autumn.

Thanks for the input vis-a-vis graphics cards, gives me something to mull over

I do tend to only upgrade when I notice that I am not getting the performance I want (as you can see by my current graphics card).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2017-08-26 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I do tend to only upgrade when I notice that I am not getting the performance I want (as you can see by my current graphics card).
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm running a 680 and I'm still not sure how long I'll hold out. I was hoping that Vega would be to GPUs as Ryzen was for CPUs, alas.

My earlier comment about "wait for the 2080" was tongue in cheek, but held a kernel of truth for me. I hate the idea of buying an expensive card late(r) in its life and risk having the next generation come out shortly after. (This happened when I bought my Surface Pro 3. Less than a month later the Pro 4 was announced... Fantastic.)

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Robots are coming for our jobs. It's cheaper to have vending machines that spit out any accessory you might want for your computer than it is to have some junior IT grunt trying to take care of those trivial requests.
    Oh sure, it makes sense, but it's one of those things that I rarely see, so it's outside the norm for me.

I wonder how fast automation is going to sneak up on the workforce - and how we'll cope with it as a society.

Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm running a 680 and I'm still not sure how long I'll hold out. I was hoping that Vega would be to GPUs as Ryzen was for CPUs, alas.

My earlier comment about "wait for the 2080" was tongue in cheek, but held a kernel of truth for me. I hate the idea of buying an expensive card late(r) in its life and risk having the next generation come out shortly after. (This happened when I bought my Surface Pro 3. Less than a month later the Pro 4 was announced... Fantastic.)

Oh sure, it makes sense, but it's one of those things that I rarely see, so it's outside the norm for me.

I wonder how fast automation is going to sneak up on the workforce - and how we'll cope with it as a society.
    I decided to get a Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC, because fuck it I passed my exams so I'm geting myself something nice. It's 750 euro, which is only 100 more than a reference vega which costs 775 dollars when you do the conversion maths...
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2017-08-26 at 08:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I will give you guys an update. I ended up not leaving, it was not as bad as people thought that it would be here. We just got a little rain. We might get a little more but maybe. Yeah everythings fine for me. They just lifted the evacuation.
    Last edited by apepi; 2017-08-26 at 09:14 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    That's good news. Rain is nice as long as it doesn't flood.

10+ Year Old Account
    @apepi

Wonderful supportive words from YOUR PRESIDENT, DONALD J TRUMP.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCNews/vid...Aa_roDyloBcfkg

Good luck!
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    @apepi

Wonderful supportive words from YOUR PRESIDENT, DONALD J TRUMP.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCNews/vid...Aa_roDyloBcfkg

Good luck!
    I feel safe now that I saw that thanks!

There has been sightings of a few tornadoes around in town I hear. There has been one trailer that was knocked over.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel safe now that I saw that thanks!

There has been sightings of a few tornadoes around in town I hear. There has been one trailer that was knocked over.
    Yikes! This is not a time to "hold your ground! hold your ground! I see in your eyes, the same fear that would-"

uh...

Stay safe buddy, if anything, but whatever means necessary!
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I decided to get a Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC, because fuck it I passed my exams so I'm geting myself something nice. It's 750 euro, which is only 100 more than a reference vega which costs 775 dollars when you do the conversion maths...
    Nice! It's nice to splurge every once in a while, especially if it's something that you're going to be able to really get your money's worth with.

I will give you guys an update. I ended up not leaving, it was not as bad as people thought that it would be here. We just got a little rain. We might get a little more but maybe. Yeah everythings fine for me. They just lifted the evacuation.
    Glad to hear that everything turned out okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    I splurge on different things!
    @apepi great to hear that the situation isn't as bad there. Reminds me of a 2004(?) fire we had here. Was a combination of 3 brush fire, 2 natural, 1 dumbass. We got an evacuation order and so me and my brother ended up going to our cousin's apartment. We played Halo >.>
    It was the 'katrina' for us, cause it was a shit show of containment and execution. Afterwards a lot of brush fires we had here were quickly contained and put out where we kind of don't freak out anymore.
    Two weeks of no school though.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-08-27 at 05:49 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I splurge on different things!
    @apepi great to hear that the situation isn't as bad there. Reminds me of a 2004(?) fire we had here. Was a combination of 3 brush fire, 2 natural, 1 dumbass. We got an evacuation order and so me and my brother ended up going to our cousin's apartment. We played Halo >.>
    It was the 'katrina' for us, cause it was a shit show of containment and execution. Afterwards a lot of brush fires we had here were quickly contained and put out where we kind of don't freak out anymore.
    Two weeks of no school though.
    Though some people did get hit hard, and they do need help.

If it makes anyone feel better, I too sit on a gtx 680.

I definitely could benefit from an upgrade, but alas, funds have to go elsewhere.
    Also, unrelated, my birthday is coming up in the foreseeable future. Can't say I am thrilled to leave my 20s.

As for natural disasters, Sweden is spared and suffered a freak earthquake in the southern end (where I live) ten years ago. That's basically the extent of natural disasters (outside of storms blowing down forests every 5 years) over the last 200 years.