Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Can't really fault people for wanting to leave, but perhaps it's a bit too drastic and early to do so.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fonduset View Post
    People should have the intelligence to know that in any election, everyone spins their own agenda beyond the rediculus. It is on the voter to do their own research from multiple sources and make their mind up that way. If people voted just on Boris Johnsons battle bus or Nick Cleggs crying, then more fool them.
    But a lot of people won't, and still vote. Plenty of people who have been on tv interviews etc since have said quite openly that they actually thought the NHS would be a lot better off and that was a large reason for their vote etc.

I also tried to read up a lot before voting and had family members on both sides and I really couldn't say what would be the positives and negatives of the final outcome, and if you could, then please tell me now as I am still struggling.

7+ Year Old Account
    Loved it. Knew a "Reaminer" who complained about it being the result they didnt want. To which I replied:

"What do you want, best of three?"

I can understand why they leave, but I also understand its a lot of rattles thrown out of prams too.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7914606.html

It's for the best I reckon. If you don't recognize your country anymore then it may be time to move to greener pastures. Especially with May still in power.
    A bit of an overreaction don't you think?
    If everyone abandons the ship because of some rats, there'll be nothing left but rats on the ship in the end and your ships gonna sink. You're entirely selfish if you leave your family behind because you've got a few bad feelings over something rather than stay and be part of a change you want.

Tennis almost got me with the new avatar. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Daroof View Post
    But a lot of people won't, and still vote. Plenty of people who have been on tv interviews etc since have said quite openly that they actually thought the NHS would be a lot better off and that was a large reason for their vote etc.

I also tried to read up a lot before voting and had family members on both sides and I really couldn't say what would be the positives and negatives of the final outcome, and if you could, then please tell me now as I am still struggling.
    I suppose I was fortunate enough to have studied EU Law as part of my LLB. I made my vote from a legal angle after discussing with my tutors at University. I had access to some great textbooks and some great minds. I took the angle that it is highly likely that our current government will remain in office for at least another decade. I also believe that with their track reccord of internal bickering and poor organisation, some laws are best left with real law makers and not our current children in Westminster.

Also the so called Great Repeal Bill, it is going to take years and years to debate and vote on every piece of law as to whether we integrate into British Law or get rid. A total waste of time.

As per the immigration argument. It is already written in EU law that if someone from a member state moves to anothrr member state and after x amount of months, becomes a financial burden, they can be sent back to their country origin. So the whole argument of 'Romanian dole scroungers', was not an issue of EU law or free movement of person. It was an issue with Governments past and present not having the balls to enforce it.

These were just a few reasons why i voted how i did
    Last edited by Fonduset; 2017-08-26 at 11:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thealmightymoo View Post
    but I also understand its a lot of rattles thrown out of prams too.
    Or a lot of money being thrown out of economies.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I struggle to see what was democratic about this vote.

There wasn't any clear idea of what we were actually voting for and still isn't, unless we were voting our faith in the government (that has largely changed since the vote) to begin some negotiations that mean we're sort of withdrawing from something while trying to not fully also withdraw from it at the same time kind of sort of.

I think a lot of us were betrayed by the whole referendum and it was just a political chip Cameron used to remain in power that he didn't think would backfire but did.

I also don't think that either side are "idiots" for that they voted and I am sure everyone has reasons, although I have never really liked the idea of 'our borders' as if we chose a snap shot of history that was somehow the perfect amount of immigration? And when would that snap shot be? 40's? 80's? 1800's? 1500's?
    Well UK is an island so the borders are pretty easily defined.

What it comes down to basically is no one knows what will happen, they didn't back then and they still don't. So it all comes down to gut instinct and where you think the right place for the UK is, inside or outside of the EU. What won my vote in the end was treating this not as do you want to stay but if this was a vote to join would you want to join the EU. My answer on that was no so I stuck with that and decided to to vote brexit.

I know there is a big risk in this and it could massively backfire but I also know this is a chance, if people decide to take it, for the UK to answer the question what kind of a country does it want to be in the modern age. Post Brexit all the choices are ours and politicians won't be able to blame the EU when things go wrong or they break promises. On the flip side the EU now has a chance to go forward without the UK which lets be honest was never a fully on board passenger for the EU project. They also have the chance to use Brexit as a point in time to evaluate how the EU is going and to correct course where needed. Unfortunately the EU appears to have done nothing productive so far to bring it's remaining nations closer together or to proactively counter other nations who may leave by changing how the EU runs. Likewise the UK isn't exactly putting it's best foot forward here on getting a move on with an orderly and planned Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojuric View Post
    So everyone who has a different opinion is a traitor? Good to know. Who's a triggered snowflake now?
    Honestly I don't even care about politics anymore. Much less UK politics.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh no oh dear, whatever will we do without sore losers
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Can't really fault people for wanting to leave, but perhaps it's a bit too drastic and early to do so.
    It's not too early if they wanna move into other EU country. It'll get harder after Brexit has finalized and UK citizens lose their free movement within the EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Tennis almost got me with the new avatar. Almost.
    Lol. You glanced at the avatar and thought it was a new poster eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    oh no oh dear, whatever will we do without sore losers
    Sit and spin as your economy goes down the drain due to the people who actually drove it having left as a result of your idiotic decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    What it comes down to basically is no one knows what will happen, they didn't back then and they still don't.
    "WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT WILL HAPPEN. Sure those "experts" tell us that the facts show it will be disastrous, but maybe it will actually be really really good. It's totally 50/50!".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

How come they don't want to go to Canada?!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I don't recognize my country anymore because May wants to turn it into an authoritarian hell hole riddled with the worst censorship in the western world.

I still believe Brexit is a good thing for the UK, but May and her extreme 'family values' conservatism isn't.

At the end of the day when our choices for leadership are an authoritarian old bat and a terrorist sympathizing communist Brexit is kind of inconsequential.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-08-26 at 11:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    How come they don't want to go to Canada?!
    Distance? Lack of connections to here?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I don't recognize my country anymore because May wants to turn it into an authoritarian hell hole riddled with the worst censorship in the western world.

I still believe Brexit is a good thing for the UK, but May and her extreme 'family values' conservatism isn't.
    If it helps she won't be running in the next election.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daws View Post
    If it helps she won't be running in the next election.
    It was the same thing with Pig-fucker Cameron before her though. She's just his older female clone.

It really hasn't changed, way to be melodramatic.

As you can see, you still have all your benefits of mass immigration from clashing cultures - rape gangs, people being macheted on the street and run over maliciously by people believing they're on a mission from god. Unemployment is still a problem, the NHS is still in the shitter and we're still being negatively effected by the mainland.