10+ Year Old Account

Building a dream PC

So I am hopefully going to be building my dream PC soon and I am torn between 3 processors......

Threadripper
    Ryzen 7 1800x
    i7 7700k

Which do you think would be best for gaming and streaming?
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Budget and what other uses would you have for it? What games? What resolution? There's a sticky that asks these questions in the build sub-forum.
    7,000 is my budget, Overwatch, WoW, probably buying some more games too, 1080p and only for gaming, streaming and watching youtube/Netflix.

Also throwing in here I will be using 2 monitors at 144 refresh rate, having a GTX 1080 ti 11 gig with 32 gigs of ram.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

The 1800x is far better for streaming, with minimal performance loss in games over the 7700k, but even the 1800x will have some fps loss while streaming. Threadripper would give you the best gaming while streaming performance, if price isn't an issue.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    7,000 is my budget, Overwatch, WoW, probably buying some more games too, 1080p and only for gaming, streaming and watching youtube/Netflix.

Also throwing in here I will be using 2 monitors at 144 refresh rate, having a GTX 1080 ti 11 gig with 32 gigs of ram.
    I really feel the need to ask why only 1080p when you could do 1440s with that price point.
    Last edited by Firatha; 2017-08-27 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    The 1800x is far better for streaming, with minimal performance loss in games over the 7700k, but even the 1800x will have some fps loss while streaming. Threadripper would give you the best gaming while streaming performance, if price isn't an issue.
    You PC gaming rig building noobs..... Threadripper will not perform better than a 7700k even while streaming, streaming doesn't take enough Cycles on the other cores to matter. At least for WoW. Only games that use all 4 cores at 100% utilization which isn't many then threadripper will win but wow and overwatch will win on a 7700k, and if you wait another month or 2 a 8700k will beat both handidly with 6 cores.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah 1440p is the way to go these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Turismon View Post
    You PC gaming rig building noobs..... Threadripper will not perform better than a 7700k even while streaming, streaming doesn't take enough Cycles on the other cores to matter. At least for WoW. Only games that use all 4 cores at 100% utilization which isn't many then threadripper will win but wow and overwatch will win on a 7700k, and if you wait another month or 2 a 8700k will beat both handidly with 6 cores.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah 1440p is the way to go these days.
    Overwatch is a very CPU intensive game, and can easily use all your cpu resources on a 7700k. Unless you plan on locking down to 60 fps, which is terrible for any competitive game. There are also more intensive encoding presets, which bring even the 16 core 1950x to it's knees, if you are trying to get the maximum video quality out of your processor. It is leagues ahead of what the 7700k can do. Why don't you watch a video and learn something:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMGOq_PbVQ
    Last edited by Speaker; 2017-08-27 at 04:31 AM.

depending on what form of currency that 7,000 is.. that is probably more than you will even come close to.

given the coffee lake situation, i'd prob just wait for that.

If your budget is in US$ you could easily get something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($598.38 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.95 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X299-E GAMING ATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($152.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($180.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($784.88 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $2582.14
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-27 09:02 EDT-0400

Should last you a couple years at least

Deleted
    7,000 is my budget
    You won't go far on a 7000DKR budget. Might need to spend some more money to get a dream rig. Otherwise you're going to scrape the bottom of the barrel...

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    So I am hopefully going to be building my dream PC soon and I am torn between 3 processors......

Threadripper
    Ryzen 7 1800x
    i7 7700k

Which do you think would be best for gaming and streaming?
    Wait for Coffee lake
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    You won't go far on a 7000DKR budget. Might need to spend some more money to get a dream rig. Otherwise you're going to scrape the bottom of the barrel...
    wtf is DKR? That's 7,000 USD lol

Deleted
    You didn't specify that. Also, keep in mind that you are on a forum with a multitude of different nationalities, all using different currencies. Don't expect everyone to magically know what currency you're talking about.

DKR is Danish Kroner.

I was curious, why only 1080p for your dream PC ?

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    If your budget is in US$ you could easily get something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor ($598.38 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.95 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X299-E GAMING ATX LGA2066 Motherboard ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($152.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($219.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($180.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($784.88 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $2582.14
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-27 09:02 EDT-0400

Should last you a couple years at least
    Dont buy a 4tb for that price, https://www.rakuten.com/prod/seagate...260111555.html Buy that and shuck it, Best buy also has thier 8tb WD that goes on sale for 169$ very often, iv bought 2 of them. Also just go 32gb on the ram, dual channel dont split it.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

Also use this, fantastic sales

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    I was curious, why only 1080p for your dream PC ?
    Honestly? It's all I hear everyone talk about is 1080p for streaming and youtube content, I should also mention I am not buying parts I am going through Origin PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Dont buy a 4tb for that price, https://www.rakuten.com/prod/seagate...260111555.html Buy that and shuck it, Best buy also has thier 8tb WD that goes on sale for 169$ very often, iv bought 2 of them. Also just go 32gb on the ram, dual channel dont split it.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

Also use this, fantastic sales
    It's a skylake-X system, uses quad channel ram, only took 16 GB as it's expensive as hell these days, and he's got plenty of budget for a speedier WD black drive, hell he can even grab 1 or 2 2TB SSD's for storage if he really wanted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Wait for Coffee lake
    Best advice in here. If you don't absolutely NEED a new desktop right now and could wait a couple months, that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    Best advice in here. If you don't absolutely NEED a new desktop right now and could wait a couple months, that is.
    It will be a few months before I get my money so I think I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    You didn't specify that. Also, keep in mind that you are on a forum with a multitude of different nationalities, all using different currencies. Don't expect everyone to magically know what currency you're talking about.

DKR is Danish Kroner.
    Yet you automatically assumed it was your nations currency, your both guilty! :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    That's always the best advice, it's also always the advice given.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Yet you automatically assumed it was your nations currency, your both guilty! :P
    Actually, I used my own to illustrate my point. Assuming everyone knows what you're talking about isn't good, even if it's something as "obvious" as Murican Dollahs