View Poll Results: What do you see as being the next big advances in technology between now and 2030?

Voters
32. This poll is closed
  • Advancements in Stem cell research

11 34.38%
  • A cure for cancer or major treatment

1 3.13%
  • The first man to step on mars

2 6.25%
  • Advancement in genetics reversing aging

3 9.38%
  • Cybernetic technology. (Part Man/Some Machine)

9 28.13%
  • Other (comment below.)

6 18.75%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What do you see as being the next big advances in technology between now and 2030?

What do you see as being the next big advances in technology between now and 2030?

What are some you are most looking forward to?

What would you most like to see?

For me I like to see a cure for cancer.

I think if there were one I would like to see is better treatment for mental health, and a better understanding about what makes do the things we do.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-08-27 at 07:28 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Out of the options you've given, I'll go with stem cells and cancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brain-computer interface.

Making Cells divide indefinitely IE eternal life

I truly hope we get past social media, if possible smartphones and the whole mobile thing as well.. Life was so much better before we all wanted to share our toilet visit on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and whatever else..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by efhtkgjgk View Post
    Making Cells divide indefinitely IE eternal life
    That is necessary but not sufficient. There are at least 6 other things we'd need to figure out.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    A doctor that is not human. Nothing is more outdated than human medical doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    I truly hope we get past social media, if possible smartphones and the whole mobile thing as well.. Life was so much better before we all wanted to share our toilet visit on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram and whatever else..
    Good luck with that. Too many attention whores for that.

I think cybernetic technology. A cure for cancer is nonsense, it will have to be different for different types. There is no magic bullet for it.

Well, A man on Mars isn't going to happen until the mid 30's at the earliest...so that's out right there.

As stated earlier there won't be a single cure for cancer....there will have to be multiple cures...so if the goal is to eliminate all forms of cancer...that's not going to happen by 2030.

Reversing aging is science fiction

"cybernetic technology" is pretty vague and we're kinda already in the early stages of it

I went with Stem Cell advancement because I think it's the most important area of medical research right now. Also, thanks to Bush Jr...Stem Cell Research in America took a major hit to the nuts. If not for that it's hypothetically possible that we might already be starting to see some of those advancements right now.

I believe we will never (read: in short term) completely cure cancer as it is the nature's way of stopping us from living forever. When and if we do, we will probably live forever.
    You can try to fit me in a box, only to see me burst out of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    I believe we will never (read: in short term) completely cure cancer as it is the nature's way of stopping us from living forever. When and if we do, we will probably live forever.
    And it will be so costly that the cure for cancer is not for everyone.

Elon Musk launches Neuralink, a venture to merge the human brain with AI

SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk is backing a brain-computer interface venture called Neuralink, according to The Wall Street Journal. The company, which is still in the earliest stages of existence and has no public presence whatsoever, is centered on creating devices that can be implanted in the human brain, with the eventual purpose of helping human beings merge with software and keep pace with advancements in artificial intelligence. These enhancements could improve memory or allow for more direct interfacing with computing devices.

Musk has hinted at the existence of Neuralink a few times over the last six months or so. More recently, Musk told a crowd in Dubai, “Over time I think we will probably see a closer merger of biological intelligence and digital intelligence.” He added that “it's mostly about the bandwidth, the speed of the connection between your brain and the digital version of yourself, particularly output." On Twitter, Musk has responded to inquiring fans about his progress on a so-called “neural lace,” which is sci-fi shorthand for a brain-computer interface humans could use to improve themselves.

25 Jan
    Revol Devoleb @BelovedRevol
    Replying to @elonmusk
    What abour neural lace? Announcement soon?
    Follow
    Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
    Maybe next month
    2:08 AM - Jan 25, 2017
    62 62 Replies 142 142 Retweets 1,044 1,044 likes
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    These types of brain-computer interfaces exist today only in science fiction. In the medical realm, electrode arrays and other implants have been used to help ameliorate the effects of Parkinson’s, epilepsy, and other neurodegenerative diseases. However, very few people on the planet have complex implants placed inside their skulls, while the number of patients with very basic stimulating devices number only in the tens of thousands. This is partly because it is incredibly dangerous and invasive to operate on the human brain, and only those who have exhausted every other medical option choose to undergo such surgery as a last resort.

This has not stopped a surge in Silicon Valley interest from tech industry futurists who are interested in accelerating the advancement of these types of far-off ideas. Kernel, a startup created by Braintree co-founder Bryan Johnson, is also trying to enhance human cognition. With more than $100 million of Johnson’s own money — the entrepreneur sold Braintree to PayPal for around $800 million in 2013 — Kernel and its growing team of neuroscientists and software engineers are working toward reversing the effects of neurodegenerative diseases and, eventually, making our brains faster and smarter and more wired.

NEURALINK JOINS KERNEL IN THE QUEST TO HACK THE HUMAN BRAIN
    “We know if we put a chip in the brain and release electrical signals, that we can ameliorate symptoms of Parkinson's,” Johnson told The Verge in an interview late last year. (Johnson also confirmed Musk’s involvement with Neuralink.) “This has been done for spinal cord pain, obesity, anorexia… what hasn’t been done is the reading and writing of neural code.” Johnson says Kernel’s goal is to “work with the brain the same way we work with other complex biological systems like biology and genetics.”

Kernel, to its credit, is quite upfront about the years of medical research necessary to better understand the human brain and pioneer new surgery techniques, software methods, and implant devices that could make a consumer brain-computer interface a reality. The Wall Street Journal says Neuralink was founded as a medical research company in California last July, which bolsters the idea that Musk will follow a similar route as Johnson and Kernel.

To be fair, the hurdles involved in developing these devices are immense. Neuroscience researchers say we have very limited understanding about how the neurons in the human brain communicate, and our methods for collecting data on those neurons is rudimentary. Then there’s the idea of people volunteering to have electronics placed inside their heads.

“People are only going to be amenable to the idea [of an implant] if they have a very serious medical condition they might get help with,” Blake Richards, a neuroscientist and assistant professor at the University of Toronto, told The Verge in an interview earlier this year. “Most healthy individuals are uncomfortable with the idea of having a doctor crack open their skull.”

https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/1...ace-ai-cyborgs

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Uhhhhh dude where is the AI option?

We will never find a cure for cancer before we simply make it irrelevant by being able to make new bodies for ourselves. That won't happen until after 2030. Its most likely that we find an aging cure (either cloned bodies, a merger between robot and human, uploading consciousness or some combination of all of them) between 2030-2040. I'd be surprised if they didn't find it before 2040. By 2050 is pretty much a lock.

But we're constricted to now and 2030 in this thread, then some hyper advanced drone. I think the "final form" of drone technology is some sort of "fairy" that floats alongside you. Almost like Navi in Zelda. What you REALLY want is a small fairy-like robot that can fly around and grab small objects for you and even bring them to you like your bag of chips or your keys or the remote. I don't think that arrives by 2030 but we should see some major advances towards that. I see a future where you walk down the street and EVERYONE has a fairy (which is actually a small flying personal drone)
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

robot armies and remote controlled infantry
    <insert witty signature here>

Widely produced laser based anti-balistic and anti-personnel weapons. Kokolums's drone is also pretty likely.

automation of almost all jobs which will cause a whole crapload of problems, since a bunch of bored people will be looking to find a purpose with there lives. Nanotechnology is the tech with the most promise and the biggest nightmares, nanotech is a much better way to improve the human brain and body, get rid of aging, addiction, mental illness, and most illnesses. Nanotechnology could also self replicate to the point that the planet would be nothing but nanobots and we would be exterminated by our own progress. Welcome to the future where we dont need bombs or weapons any more to eliminate the human race.

Cancer will not be "cured" by then but we may make significant advances. In fact I doubt any of those will be done in 13 years.

Surprised you didn't put AIDs on the list, we are very close to a cure. Also genetic therapy to allow the infertile to conceive. Potentially including homosexual reproduction.

The next major social revolution will be driven by genetics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sex bots!

Also, "cure for cancer" is a misnomer. There isn't a some kind of a single entity called "cancer". All cancers are very different, they are just called by the same name.

A cure for a​ cancer is a possibility, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.