Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Nurot View Post
    The craziest image I've seen so far has been-

Now it's all good and well that the nursing home facility owner chose to send this photo to her husband who then tweeted this photo to get them help, BUT as a facility owner, wouldn't you have precautions in place? I know if a relative of mine were waist deep in water before a tweet for help was placed, I'd be moving them somewhere else.

Seems like the only emergency protocol in place here was, let's hope the water doesn't get too high and they don't drown.
    They shouldve been evacuated when the evacuation orders went out like they did with most of the hospitals. I do find some humor in the fact that the old ladies dont even seem to mind that they are sitting in water. The one lady is just sitting in her recliner knitting away like nothing is wrong

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seirith View Post

Wow, glad most people are not like you. I also hope you are never in a position where you need help with anything.
    I pay $875 per year to insure my home and belongings. Thats what responsible people do.

Guess we should all just cancel our insurance since the government will just bail us out anyway.

Deleted
    That looks terrible. I have friends in the Greater Houston Area and family further north in Texas. Hope everybody is safe.

Now it's all good and well that the nursing home facility owner chose to send this photo to her husband who then tweeted this photo to get them help, BUT as a facility owner, wouldn't you have precautions in place? I know if a relative of mine were waist deep in water before a tweet for help was placed, I'd be moving them somewhere else.

Seems like the only emergency protocol in place here was, let's hope the water doesn't get too high and they don't drown.

This is a disgrace to see. The owners and workers at this facility should be ashamed and held liable for allowing these poor elderly individuals to go through this. These poor souls should have been evacuated very early on. And if the children of these elderly people were in the same town and let this happen, shame on them for neglecting their parents. You just earned some serious "hell-points".

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    They shouldve been evacuated when the evacuation orders went out like they did with most of the hospitals. I do find some humor in the fact that the old ladies dont even seem to mind that they are sitting in water. The one lady is just sitting in her recliner knitting away like nothing is wrong

- - - Updated - - -

I pay $875 per year to insure my home and belongings. Thats what responsible people do.

Guess we should all just cancel our insurance since the government will just bail us out anyway.
    Flood insurance is a different policy my friend, as is wind damage. You best check with your insurance company now. Some insurance companies won't even cover homes for flood insurance if they are within a certain radius of a 100 year flood plain.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Souflikar View Post
    This is a disgrace to see. The owners and workers at this facility should be ashamed and held liable for allowing these poor elderly individuals to go through this. These poor souls should have been evacuated very early on. And if the children of these elderly people were in the same town and let this happen, shame on them for neglecting their parents. You just earned some serious "hell-points".
    It isn't that simple. ALL the roads are flooded. Have you been watching CNN. We have boats going down the interstates. There are places with fifty feet of water. Watch that first video I posted.

People weren’t counting on Houston in particular getting as hammered as it did with flooding. They were not prepared. Peeps weren’t adequately warned nor did the local government have the resources lined up.

Which I just don’t understand, the forcast of rain was like 3 days before the hurricane. I remember them saying 3 feet of rain.

Fifteen senior citizens were rescued from a Dickinson assisted living community, hours after a viral photo showing them sitting in waist-deep water went viral.

Dickinson emergency management coordinator David Popoff confirmed that 18 people were rescued from La Vita Bella, an assisted living facility in the 3500 block of Oak Drive in Dickinson.

Popoff confirmed the rescue by phone to The Daily News at noon on Sunday, hours after a post on Twitter showing at least eight people, and one cat, sitting in a room with water up to their waists.

“We were air-lifting grandmothers and grandfathers,” Popoff said.

Timothy McIntosh, of Tampa, Fla., sent the original tweet, which was re-tweeted more than 2,000 times.

The Daily News reached out to McIntosh on Twitter, and then spoke to him over the phone. He said the picture was sent to him by Trudy Lampson, his mother-in-law and the owner of the La Vita Bella, at about 9 a.m.

The Daily News attempted to reach Lampson by phone, but she did not return calls.

Kimberly McIntosh, Lampson’s daughter and Timothy’s wife, said she spoke to her mother on Sunday morning.

“She said it was a disaster and they were hoping the National Guard would come,” Kimberly McIntosh said.

The unbelievable picture led many to question its authenticity. Before publishing, The Daily News sent the photo to Popoff, who is helping supervising hundreds of rescues in Dickinson.

“These people have been evacuated,” Popoff said. He then confirmed the evacuation from La Vita Bella specifically in a phone call.

During a press conference on Sunday afternoon, Galveston County Judge Mark Henry also confirmed the rescue.

http://www.galvnews.com/news/free/ar...6bc7dc6a5.html

Sounds like they were getting angry phone calls, with the internet they were calls from all over the world.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    It's absolutely horrible. A friend of mine in houston her car got flooded already so that's ruined but she lives on the third floor of an apartment so all of that's still good. Had to use one of her sick days because her greedy job won't close down for a couple of days and won't let them work remotely.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hope everyone makes it. Natural disasters suck
    I understand evacuation of the entire city wasn't feasible in the given time-frame but could they not utilize all the high-rises for people downtown to bunk in and stay dry while suburbs sought high ground in or away from the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    It's absolutely horrible. A friend of mine in houston her car got flooded already so that's ruined but she lives on the third floor of an apartment so all of that's still good. Had to use one of her sick days because her greedy job won't close down for a couple of days and won't let them work remotely.
    They can't expect her to get to work in a flood-zone. She should dispute that along with everyone else unable to use transport. Any of your meteorologists would love to hear from them and back them up if possible.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2017-08-28 at 04:29 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Most places are closed unless they are for necessities, i.e. power, emergency personnel, police etc.
    You really can't get around anywhere.
    Your friend should count her lucky stars that all she has to do is use a sick day for work and lost their car. Some people have lost everything they have owned. Some people have even lost their lives. Their always is a bright side to everything. Whether you chose to see it is up to you and you alone.
    Enjoy your week everyone
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-08-28 at 04:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    I saw in an interview last night the lady who oversees the facility said she was told not to evacuate before hand by some local official.
    it was not to evacuate if you can safely stay where you are

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    They can't expect her to get to work in a flood-zone. She should dispute that along with everyone else unable to use transport. Any of your meteorologists would love to hear from them and back them up if possible.
    She's kind of a push over and far too timid unfortunately but I think her coworkers are getting riled up about it so she says maybe they'll shut down until the water recedes or finally cave and let them do remote work (graphic designers for some ad agency)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Most places are closed unless they are for necessities, i.e. power, emergency personnel, police etc.
    You really can't get around anywhere.
    Your friend should count her lucky stars that all she has to do is use a sick day for work and lost their car. Some people have lost everything they have owned. Some people have even lost their lives.
    Oh yeah for sure I just don't see how she's gonna be able to get there if the job is being this irrational about it but like I said in my previous post could just be that she's being a push over and not explaining to them that she's literally flooded in at the moment.

Damn, looks bad.
    To the people living there - Stay safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also can't believe how bad Rockport got hit. I really hope the death toll doesn't rise any higher when the rubble starts being sifted through

Quote Originally Posted by Medium9 View Post
    What government does this?? I'm just flabbergasted.
    Small governments.

In an unzoned city that was flooded out last year. And the year before.

Disaster preparedness costs money, so many states look at it as simply something to cut. The 2018 Federal budget deletes the National Flood Insurance Program’s Flood Hazard Mapping and Risk Analysis Program. (On the other hand, that program should be ridiculously easy to complete now. Just look out the window.)

It is going to be interesting watching the Texas representatives explain why their voting against Katrina and Sandy disaster aid shouldn't be held against them now.

And I thought what happened by me in WI last month was bad. Holy shit.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Im willing to bet it doesnt cover floods.

I also can't believe how bad Rockport got hit. I really hope the death toll doesn't rise any higher when the rubble starts being sifted through
    Yea wind damage and storm surge damage was horrific.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dMMJnpvL7h4

10+ Year Old Account
    I never understood the magnitude of the storm until saw the weather chart of it's radius.,.. Holy Moley.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Most of the people down there evacuated. The towns are relatively small compared to the Houston area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    Small governments.

In an unzoned city that was flooded out last year. And the year before.

Disaster preparedness costs money, so many states look at it as simply something to cut. The 2018 Federal budget deletes the National Flood Insurance Program’s Flood Hazard Mapping and Risk Analysis Program. (On the other hand, that program should be ridiculously easy to complete now. Just look out the window.)

It is going to be interesting watching the Texas representatives explain why their voting against Katrina and Sandy disaster aid shouldn't be held against them now.

I hope all of those who voted for them and Trump/GOP enjoy their swim to the next rally.