Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarshamy View Post
    When I was a kid I got a sinus infection 2 or 3 times after swimming lessons. The water had enough chlorine in it that you could smell it.
    Chlorine doesn't destroy all viruses.
    And it sure as hell matters. How are you even trying to argue against a larger piece of cloth picking up more dirt?

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently it's now a ridiculous statement that larger surface area = more exposure to contaminants. You need to go back to elementary school.
    Okay. First of all, a sinus infection can also be caught with 100% sterile water. The bacteria responsible for it are basically everywhere. Usually, your body deals with them easily on its own. However, when you get your sinus clogged with water (they are ususally supposed to have air in them), you give the bacteria better conditions to grow. Chlorine also causes the production of mucus, because it inflamates sensitive tissue, which can also lead to bacterial infections.

That being said, you had swimming lessons, with other kids I assume? One out of five kids usually has a cold. Not he harsh "have to stay in bed" kind, but runny nose, etc. You can easily catch one and have a sinus infection as a direct result.

Sinus infections have dozens of reasons. Wet environments help most of them.

And as to the geometry: Again, size isn't the only relevant factor. Handling and age of the clothes is, aswell. Do you have a pet sleeping on it? How regularily do you wash it? How old is it? What is your state of health? What do you think is more likely to carry contaminants, a new pair of jeans, or a pair of hotpants that you hiked the outback in?
    Then there is the quesiton of the fabric. Cotton carries more dirt than silk. Etc. You are trying to simplify a complicated subject to further your beliefs.

Do larger clothes potentially carry more contaminents then smaller ones? Yes. Do they always? No. Does it matter? Not at all. Chlorine will usually deal with all relevant bacteria.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2017-08-28 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Do larger clothes potentially carry more contaminents then smaller ones? Yes. Do they always? No. Does it matter? Not at all. Chlorine will usually deal with all relevant bacteria.
    Plenty of people catch diseases in swimming pools because disgusting people can't practice proper hygiene.

https://www.seeker.com/gross-germs-t...974879569.html
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health..._chlorine.html
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/7-disgus...g-pools-246965

Ironically I think the rise of radical right-wing populism/nationalism is making matters worse. So in a sense, yes, these groups of people are committing cultural suicide by adopting more hostile attitudes - which is in stark contrast to our culture of civility, compassion and solidarity.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Ironically I think the rise of radical right-wing populism/nationalism is making matters worse. So in a sense, yes, these groups of people are committing cultural suicide by adopting more hostile attitudes - which is in stark contrast to our culture of civility, compassion and solidarity.
    What I find ironic is that you're more worried abut the "hostility" of nationalists, rather than the hostility of actual terrorists that these nationalists want to keep out of their countries. I used to say that we have weekly acts of terror in Europe, but last two weeks we had like 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarshamy View Post
    What I find ironic is that you're more worried abut the "hostility" of nationalists, rather than the hostility of actual terrorists that these nationalists want to keep out of their countries. I used to say that we have weekly acts of terror in Europe, but last two weeks we had like 3.
    I'm worried about both. This was a thread about culture however, where I think the great irony lies where those who claim to be protecting our culture are really actually destroying it.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Western Europe is pretty much done for in next 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    I would generally agree with you. I feel it is important to allow anyone to practice their religion in a peaceful way, and not be bothered by others if it is indeed peacefully being practiced. I have a huge problem with religious fanatic groups, like Scientology (we know they cray), Extremist mosques we know are extremist but don't do anything, crazy christian cells (neo-nazis included), and the plethora of other groups that i'm sure are operating out there. We seem to be "smashing the fascists" but were letting other groups get away with it.
    Extremists are part of any religious groups, but we can't condemn a whole religion based on the actions of extremely few individuals. It will be like saying that all conservatives are racists, because a few of them are. The core belief of religion that majority practice is a matter of personal faith, existential or a set of personal moral values that shapes their daily lives. Same cannot be said for hate groups, as the core value of theirs is hate. We can openly "smash the fascists" due to it cannot exist without hate or infringing on other people's liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    If he supports Breivik, surely expecting decency in his choice of profile pictures is a weird priority. I'd rather see him open about it.
    Fair point.
    Last edited by karumayu; 2017-08-28 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I'm worried about both. This was a thread about culture however, where I think the great irony lies where those who claim to be protecting our culture are really actually destroying it.
    How do you think it's destroying our culture and why do you think that European culture is based on civility and solidarity towards muslims especially after our history of hundreds of years of wars against them?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    I think what truly confuses me about the situation in the west is this. We started to move away from religious rule, and in the 2000's religion had become a smaller subset of our population, a lot more people decided to become atheists, gay-marriage and rights became full fledged, and our cultures were moving in the right direction. For some reason, we all decided to interject Islam into our societies, which is fundamentally against everything we spent decades working towards. Moderate Muslims are fine, but the cultural ideology of Islam at its core, is Sharia Law. Are all Muslims terrorists? not even close, but these people are moving from countries that are run by religious governments that practice sharia-law in full, and those ideals come to the western nations, and its simply not compatible. I'm not sure why we spent all these years separating ourselves from the Church, only to start to tie ourselves to the Mosque
    Because those same people that became aethists and that are for gay marriage and rights don't suddenly disappear from existence. Those people are still there, fighting for the equal rights of everyone, including Muslims.

What's not compatible is the notion that humans are so fundamentally different they have to be separated from one another in order to exist peacefully.

Though you are one of those people convinced that all Muslims live, practice and preach Sharia law on the basis that their home country has governments based off it. It's as silly as saying all Christians obey the writings of Leviticus because of a handful of extremely zealous Christians are stoning homosexuals in the street and making governments around those teachings.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    Yes, he is absolutely right.

I also believe that we in Europe is now in the fast lane, heading for a civil war, which will eventually sort things out.
    Now Im not praying for any wars, but if it must happen, I hope it happens when im still in my prime and not when im old and weak.
    Wow, wow, wow, dude, talking about civil wars on MMO-Champion? Without getting banned by the liberal snowflakes? Sometimes, I don't understand what's going on.

BTW, Breivik's character was level 77 Human Mage, and he managed to kill 77 liberals. Coincidence?

He was a moronic Christian anyway. Come on, how can you consider him a Nazi if he wanted to ally with Israel? He's as much a traitor towards Europa as the people he murdered.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    What's not compatible is the notion that humans are so fundamentally different they have to be separated from one another in order to exist peacefully.
    More like a historic and scientific fact. Multicultural societies don't endure. And the IQ differences between races are a thing. It's especially important to consider now, after the Industrial revolution, when anybody can migrate anywhere.
    Last edited by Adunai; 2017-08-28 at 10:16 PM.
    The Sin'dorei reign supreme! © Grand Astromancer Capernian

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post

Okay?
    If you find a growing fervor for Sharia in the West something acceptable, I don't know what to say. This is something the West evolved out of. I don't want to go back to religious zealotry, especially not Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    If you find a growing fervor for Sharia in the West something acceptable, I don't know what to say. This is something the West evolved out of. I don't want to go back to religious zealotry, especially not Islam.
    Don't forget that a certain group of anti-Islamists are also fans of Sharia. Yes, it's possible, but they don't have much presence in the memetic cyberspace of the West. Google... I mean, DuckDuckGo "White Sharia".
    The Sin'dorei reign supreme! © Grand Astromancer Capernian

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    As a person who swims in one, i concur

- - - Updated - - -

i would say that Japan or South Korea is safer (well, apart from the NK stupidity)
    yeah honestly nk scares the shit out of me lol
    mr pickles

Deleted
    Well of course it is, most people can't mention all the national and religious holidays, yet they we invest more money and time in celebrating them. We are afraid of the flag because it might offend, yet we adorn it on more things than ever (Sidenote, it actually used to be highly offensive to adorn the flag anywhere than the flagpole). Our government are the ruin of culture, yet spent more money than ever to preserve it. That we import and destroy our culture, even when we are the greatest exporters of culture across the entire globe (freaking Iraq and Iran celebrate Valentine, and they despised everything about us).

Of course our culture is dying, we are sitting here with our thumbs up our asses, screaming and shouting at a screen with flashing images of events happening 100s and 1000s of miles away from us.

The issues are not so much down to "culture" as it is down to practical issues. For example, Swedish healthcare is on its knees, especially the part which deals with and cares for pregnant women, births and so on.

What society spent just on HANDLING "lone young new arrivals": 26 billion SEK (2.6 billion Euro or so?)
    What our government spent on the pregnancy healthcare: 4 billion SEK. Not even half.

Society is getting worse, on levels where it matters and not some figment of the alt-right imagination where there's a genocide on white people going on. We don't need to support arguments about why unlimited, generous immigration CANNOT STAND on the reprehensible arguments of people hailing Breivik as a prophet... Especially when taking into consideration the fact that a lot of the most vocal voices against the "invasion of Islam", are religious fanatics themselves. They just fly a different "holy book" as pillar for their views.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-08-28 at 10:39 PM.

unlimited, generous immigration
    Do you honestly think this is a good idea?

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    Because those same people that became aethists and that are for gay marriage and rights don't suddenly disappear from existence. Those people are still there, fighting for the equal rights of everyone, including Muslims.

Though you are one of those people convinced that all Muslims live, practice and preach Sharia law on the basis that their home country has governments based off it. It's as silly as saying all Christians obey the writings of Leviticus because of a handful of extremely zealous Christians are stoning homosexuals in the street and making governments around those teachings.
    I dont believe all Muslims are like this, ive just been there, and ive seen how bad its been in the middle east. Unfortunately a lot of humans are just fundamentally different, and are not compatible with each other, but people who want to live together in harmony, i have no issues with.

The EU is doomed but it will take a few generations for the left to fulfil their dream of wiping out European heritage. You can see some leaders like Merkel are getting impatient and are trying to speed up the process. It just amazes and saddens me that the overall populace are letting it happen. Hats off to the old Eastern bloc countries who are willing to make a stand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebuddy View Post
    Oh that's the guy who basically has a suite in prison and a PS4 for killing all those people, yea fuck that guy.

Makes you wish you had the death penalty
    Why? He is never, never, ever getting out. He has no chance of rehabilitation after what he did and so he is going to be stuck in prison for the rest of his life. The death penalty isn't a punishment for cases like his, it is leniency.

If the state were to kill him, it'd be a couple of months or maybe years and then blam he's dead and punishment is over. Being locked up with no chance to leave, no chance to travel or meet people, no chance of companionship, nothing other than the four walls he is stuck inside with just a tv and console to keep him from going even more absolutely batshit crazy.

His current status is a fate far worse than death which also gives us the benefit of not having to sink to his disgusting level by killing him.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Why? He is never, never, ever getting out. He has no chance of rehabilitation after what he did and so he is going to be stuck in prison for the rest of his life. The death penalty isn't a punishment for cases like his, it is leniency.

If the state were to kill him, it'd be a couple of months or maybe years and then blam he's dead and punishment is over. Being locked up with no chance to leave, no chance to travel or meet people, no chance of companionship, nothing other than the four walls he is stuck inside with just a tv and console to keep him from going even more absolutely batshit crazy.

His current status is a fate far worse than death which also gives us the benefit of not having to sink to his disgusting level by killing him.
    He's also a drain on the taxpayer and a constant reminder to the victims families. Better for everyone involved to just give him the needle.