Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post

Well, letting people brute force bosses, instead of making it so that you have to start the boss fight from scratch if you die, does not help a lot in this department.
    Fake difficulty its called.

They cant make hard stuff mechanically, but they can make them 1 shot you if you fail or if you lag a bit or whatever.

Which is why "DPS" is all in PoE, cause the more experienced players know that any sort of defense is useless, you just have to burst everything down before it can get you, because there is no way to counter it.

It cant kill you if it cant do its mechanics cause its dying too fast.

Also, 10k DPS is nothing, it doesnt work that way.

There are builds with 100k DPS but require really BAD RNG to result in death.

There are 1mil DPS builds that are pure glass cannon, but the general rule when it comes to pure DPS builds and there are 1mil builds that are so good and are tanky at the same time.

100-200K-->Adorable try! You are learning.

200-500K-->Nice, getting better.

500k+-->Get items noob and fix your gear.

1mil+-->Guess thats getting nerfed next!

There are other things to consider, but at the same time there is a general rule really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Also, 10k DPS is nothing, it doesnt work that way.
    For end game? a pure joke, for some new players that are trying to level up? that is like playing God-mode.
    Look, there is people asking for help in chat, for killing piety Act 3, that is just an example of how lost are some new players.
    Yeah the rest of your post is more or less what i am expecting once the leveling is done, and the problem is that i am afraid it is not gonna be so easy to find a build viable i like to play with.
    It is the exact same problem i have in d3, finding and endgame viable build for pushing high grifts, it is not a big deal, but liking how that build is played, that is a very different thing.

For end game? a pure joke, for some new players that are trying to level up? that is like playing God-mode.
    Look, there is people asking for help in chat, for killing piety Act 3, that is just an example of how lost are some new players.
    Yeah the rest of your post is more or less what i am expecting once the leveling is done, and the problem is that i am afraid it is not gonna be so easy to find a build viable i like to play with.
    It is the exact same problem i have in d3, finding and endgame viable build for pushing high grifts, it is not a big deal, but liking how that build is played, that is a very different thing.
    Dont confuse.

Almost all abilities can work somehow to produce end game results, the problem is, what they require to do so.

There is a massive difference between ability 1, requiring a few hours of farm to start working, versus an ability that requires 1000 hours of farm to do the same the other ability does with 10 hours.

Its what i mean with builds, and why the differ between "Bad builds" and "Good builds".

This comes after assuming you learnt how everything works in the tree, how multipliers work and all that, not before.

Therefor what you want to play can probably be played, the question is how many hours are you willing to spend farming on such an underpowered build until you see someone with 1/100th of your dedicated time, doing things thrice as fast as you simply because he didnt pick that ability.

And thats where PoE falls sort.

PoE works with the "FoTM" rule mostly in a sense, you just have to go with the flow if you wanna play "POE, THE MAPPING TRADING EXPERIENCE!"

Now if you simply wanna play your build, on standard, 1 year after you started, no one is stopping you! Which is another great thing about it.

Deleted
    Now if you simply wanna play your build, on standard, 1 year after you started, no one is stopping you! Which is another great thing about it.
    This is great news for me, i am far more interested in playing my builds in a way i like than in efficiency, if i can do both the merrier, but the latter it is not as important, so i am glad to hear it.

This is great news for me, i am far more interested in playing my builds in a way i like than in efficiency, if i can do both the merrier, but the latter it is not as important, so i am glad to hear it.
    You are going to hit a wall soon. At that point you can either start taking other people's advice, or end up shelving the game eventually.

This game has a huge amount of viable builds. "I just started PoE and made my own build", is simply not one of them. I'm not saying it's not working for you now, but when it doesn't anymore, adapt and use the resources already neatly compiled for you by knowledgeable people.
    Last edited by Gatsbybutters; 2017-08-28 at 03:40 PM.

What Gatsybutters said holds truth though.

New players hit a wall, depending how bad they are. Is it Piety? Act5? Kitava? T10 Maps? 15? Etc.

You must be willing to get advice especially on your passive tree.

Is it possible to actually play many of the popular builds without using poe.trade? i know im only lvl 35 but i have only 2link gear at the moment. I just find the point of these games more interesting if you find your stuff instead of buying it. What do most people do?

Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post
    Is it possible to actually play many of the popular builds without using poe.trade? i know im only lvl 35 but i have only 2link gear at the moment. I just find the point of these games more interesting if you find your stuff instead of buying it. What do most people do?
    Level your masters. Get one to 3. Make a hideout. Now grab each master, one by one, invite to hideout, put the craft item they have in your hideout, kick em, next. Pick 3 you want to level the quickest, as you get daily missions to lvl them quicker. You can add more as you level masters and get larger hide outs.

The assassin has a table that adds and links 4 links (and higher for not so cheap) for pretty cheap, easy for self found players, instead of relying on rng currency method.

They have a lot of no specific gear required builds on poe forums. They mostly say so in the title.
    Last edited by Gatsbybutters; 2017-08-28 at 09:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Level your masters. Get one to 3. Make a hideout. Now grab each master, one by one, invite to hideout, put the craft item they have in your hideout, kick em, next. Pick 3 you want to level the quickest, as you get daily missions to lvl them quicker. You can add more as you level masters and get larger hide outs.
    you can get all the crafting benches by writing /claim_crafting_benches in the chat.

edit; nvm they have actually removed that command. It would seem that he have to invite each one manually the first time, in the next league you don't have to invite to claim the bench, It will be in the hideout tab with the decorations automatically.
    Last edited by Enjeh; 2017-08-29 at 03:50 PM.

Also I kind of made it seem you can't have your own build. Think of "builds" as a base. At 50 to 70 is when you can tweak other stuff, poison or bleeds, or both, stuff like that.
    Playing a self made build first time around is just tedious and unnecessary, go level up a build you think you'd like that works so you can learn and farm currency easier, and experiment from there.
    Most builds have a "base" skill tree, customisation comes at higher levels.

Is it possible to actually play many of the popular builds without using poe.trade?
    Of course. There is a whole mode of the game for doing that; solo self found.

What do most people do?
    Trade. Long term players and those engaged with the community are really playing the ladder. The ladder is about speed- trade is the best option outside of SSF.

If you are just playing for yourself or putzing around Standard league- do whatever. It only matters if you are interested in the meta-game; community, ladders. forums, build making, YT/Streaming, etc.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-08-30 at 03:29 AM.

PoE came out to hit the market for the D2 crowd because D3 sucked as a "grinding game".

Every time any of those stuff is mentioned, that Scroll of ID/Portal arent needed, you get the same counter reaction of "ARPG" AKA "ITS HOW D2 DID IT!!!111ELEVEN".
    This doesn't make sense though because no one used ID scrolls in D2, you just went to Deckard Cain after playing for like 20 minutes. If they were really slavishly copying D2 you wouldn't even need ID scrolls because Navali would auto-ID your gear or something. PoE's ID system is even worse than D2.

Deleted
    You are going to hit a wall soon. At that point you can either start taking other people's advice, or end up shelving the game eventually.

This game has a huge amount of viable builds. "I just started PoE and made my own build", is simply not one of them. I'm not saying it's not working for you now, but when it doesn't anymore, adapt and use the resources already neatly compiled for you by knowledgeable people.
    The problem is not finding a viable build, as i explained, it is finding a build i like to play with, and believe me it is not so easy.
    On the subject of playing a build that has been tested previously, well it is fine to look and research for certain mechanics i do have doubts with, it is in the "list" of things i have to do (it is a very long list BTW), but if after doing that research i am unable to come up with a working build by myself, i am sorry but for me that is a message from the game telling me to leave, because clearly then it is meant for people far better at grasping the game mechanics than i am.

- - - Updated - - -

You must be willing to get advice especially on your passive tree.
    I really do not mean to sound arrogant, but the passive tree is quite self explanatory, specially if you check frequently the char tab, that has very detailed info of the multiplayers that are affecting your skills.
    Another thing is knowing where are the limits of the rolled values on items, that have a heavy interaction with the passive tree, and the skills, that is a little more complicated and it is gonna take some time.
    Also without experiencing each difficulty layer it is quite difficult to foresee the needs of the char to survive those layers, in terms of HP/ES pool, DPS, defensives, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

You are going to hit a wall soon.
    Yeah, of that i am 100% sure, i am counting on it.
    The thing is if i am or not capable of evading the wall, after being hit really hard by it.
    Last edited by mmoccf1d2005b5; 2017-08-30 at 10:07 AM.

Definitely having a lot more fun with POE this go around than my previous go round... Not having to play the same acts over and over again is a huge improvement when leveling a new character. Prior to this my highest character only got to 70 before getting fed up with the game. This time I've hit 89 in a little over a weekend and am currently running 13-15s.

My bf and I kind of short circuited the normal character progression because we found a really good market and made about 500 chaos over the course of a weekend. Either way, much more fun than the 1.0 days.

Knowing a bit more about the game than I did back then and having a resource absolutely helps. I would absolutely follow a guide for your first few characters otherwise you'll just get fed up and have to spend a ton on regrets and have regrets about wasted time. Walls definitely occur with crazy affixes....

Yeah, of that i am 100% sure, i am counting on it.
    The thing is if i am or not capable of evading the wall, after being hit really hard by it.
    The problem with PoE is that many game mechanics work weirdly or arent displayed at all.

And because people do not know the exact walls, they simply play as i said earlier.."If you kill it first, it cant kill you".

Thats why there is the general rule in PoE of :

Cap resists, get 5k HP (Used to be get 7k ES) for starters to be safe at most maps.

Push resists to cap even with elemental weakness on, used to be something like 50? Resist above cap so somewhere 135 resists after the -60 , push HP to 7K (ES to 10-11K), enjoy half immortality with random crit luck.

Keep resists high with Kaoms and 92+ level, have 9-10K HP, be almost unkillable unless bad, or get 12-15k+ ES and faceroll the game, aka very expensive bis gear.

This has changed with 3.0 to be the same, with ignoring ES mostly, Belly of the Beast and 90 level + with good items to push 7k HP, 2hand specs + good items to push 9-10K HP with Kaoms.

Thats the general rule of PoE, you cant do around it unless you are very familiar with the game.

As example many Ranger builds, especially Pathfinder/Raider, even run and clear stuff with 4-5K HP instead of 5-7K, simply because they know the fights, those specs have like insane movement speed, making it a joke to dodge everything, but there is always that random 1 shot

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    This doesn't make sense though because no one used ID scrolls in D2, you just went to Deckard Cain after playing for like 20 minutes. If they were really slavishly copying D2 you wouldn't even need ID scrolls because Navali would auto-ID your gear or something. PoE's ID system is even worse than D2.
    Pretty sure Deckard wasnt free from the start, and its not only that, Scrolls are part of the "starting experience".

Whatever shit excuse they give, its just archaic and retarded, PoE simply lacks QoL changes to stop being annoying and become more fun.

Items should simply ID by right-clicking,i would prefer on pickup but the unidentified trading was always a thing, some still like it.. no scrolls, portal should be a button like in D3, whatever keybind each person wants.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-08-31 at 02:50 AM.

Pretty sure Deckard wasnt free from the start, and its not only that, Scrolls are part of the "starting experience".
    That's why I said "after 20 minutes", because it takes you that long to rescue him from Tristram. After that you never use ID scrolls again pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    That's why I said "after 20 minutes", because it takes you that long to rescue him from Tristram. After that you never use ID scrolls again pretty much.
    Well rarely you do, the book is there, especially for noobs or SP you do use them a lot, when you become better and learn trading prices you obviously dont cause you dont pick anything up.

But thats another problem with PoE.

They have what, 700 uniques by now?

1-10 Brokenly OP always, HH/Skyforth/Kaom bla bla.

1-10 OP, locked behind stupid mechanics like past leagues.

1-20 "New spec discovered" for fun, but mostly gimp specs.

Rest are useless garbage.

D2 didnt have this issue, because it didnt have that much crap currency to scale the items.

Oh, i found 10 Titan's Revenge today! Easy 10 Ist, easy this, easy that.

You get my point, no need to write more

While, getting 10 Siege Axes dropping on a T15 map cause Bloodline procced is a must identify as example.

Generally it all depends on how you look at the game, in this league i finally got 2 exalted dropping after nothing all this time (Not that they are anything pricy, just bad luck this league).

All i sell is Boots, dual, tri resist movement speed hp boots, from 5 to 25C, which makes me pick up every single Armor-Evasion/combo boots...Trust me i run out of Scrolls a lot
    Last edited by potis; 2017-08-31 at 04:18 AM.

Yes, "possible". Though many popular builds require specific uniques, or even worse...specific uniques with specific corruptions. Even if a unique is valueless in poe.trade, you can go for a super long time of not getting the specific ones required for the build.

But it is very possible to find basic builds that can clear maps with crafted gear alone.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

There's no reason not to use poe.trade as it makes it insanely easy to buy anything you want. You can also sell currency very easily without the premium stash tab or addons, the only irritating thing about it is selling gear.

I'm at endgame now for the first time and while there's a lot of cool stuff to do the biggest absence for me is something in between T15 map bosses and Vaal Temple/Shaper Guardians. The jump in difficulty there is enormous. I can beat Kaom or Malachi in T15 extremely easily, sometimes without taking any damage, while the tuning on Chimera means I have to deathzerg it or repeatedly chicken out to refill flasks. I feel like Shaper Guardians should be T17 with some intermediate content after T15 but before them that prepares you better.

Thanks for all the advise on playing the game without buying stuff. Sometimes i just dont understand why people would buy every item on poe trade... then there is nothing to grind for or am i misunderstanding something in POE?

FYI I am not saying there is nothing wrong about it, i just want to hear peoples opinion why trading is so popular in a game where you grind for gear :P
    Last edited by Schalde; 2017-09-01 at 04:47 PM.