Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    Wasn't discussing whether a sport or not, its that the IOC head said it didn't want "Violent" games as competitions for olympics, whereas they already have ACTUAL violence on other living humans already part of the olympics.
    Right....derped there...mah bad.

"Esports are not sports", they are literally only missing the heavy physical exertion. Otherwise I'd say most games are more of a sport than something like golf or bowling.
    Olympic ideals are really old, I was honestly surprised to see them support LGBT+ competitors.
    Would make more sense to have a separate E-Olympics, there is already so much going on at the summer/winter ones.

Deleted
    Holy shit, why do people consider e-"sports" a real thing? Freaking beckneards that want to justify their consumerism behaviour.

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

I don’t think egames really belong in the olympics they have no corellation what so ever However it has nothing to do with violence, they just don’t belong together.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Is it not a "real thing"? Is it all in our imaginations?!!

Is it just the semantics that you get hung up on? Or is this just a way for you to signal - on a gaming forum - how much cooler you are than other people who play games?
    Because e-sports is not an sport.
    Go ahead and call it an competition and i wouldn't even care, but games do not deserve to be called an sport, they are only consumerism and provide no transferable skills to other real world skills that can provide you a job.

Given how turbulent eSports is, this is probably not a good idea anyway. The eSports scene 4 years ago looked totally different than it does today. Starcraft 2 was still huge for example. Imagine if they had that game at London 2012 and by Rio 2016 it was practically dead.

I can imagine wanting to call eSports "sports" in the context of getting players visas but this fad of trying to get video games into the Olympics is just shortsighted and dumb.

Give it 80 years and olympic sports will be asking to be included in esport events...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Because e-sports is not an sport.
    Go ahead and call it an competition and i wouldn't even care, but games do not deserve to be called an sport, they are only consumerism and provide no transferable skills to other real world skills that can provide you a job.
    Job? Esport is a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Keep esport out of this shit regime. Let it flourish on its own ground, which is seems to do very well

Deleted
    So it's just the semantics that you're concerned about, ok.

Also, what "sports" give you these "real world skills" that can provide you a job? Is that the criteria you use to define what a "sport" is?
    Sports make you fit, esports make a you a sexist fat arse that yells slurs over the internet.

Meanwhile in. Hockey and boxing...

So it's just the semantics that you're concerned about, ok.

Also, what "sports" give you these "real world skills" that can provide you a job? Is that the criteria you use to define what a "sport" is?
    you can argue that videogames and sports can both influence social skills and your ability to find jobs within specific fields.

but still, e-sports are in no way relatable to athleticism, unless you start talking VR or wii/kinect type games. clicking buttons is not comparable to physical sporting activity.
    <insert witty signature here>

Deleted
    Ah yes, you're so much cooler than those other people who play games. I mean, here you are on a gaming forum and playing games, but you're not like those other people, no sir, and you'll make sure we know it.
    And here it comes, the consumerist defends his vices down to the grave to justify his behavior and spent time fallacy.

Deleted
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I see what you are. Goodbye.
    I also see you. Doing what i described.

The Modern Olympics are based on the Ancient Olympics, which were athletic festivals. Video gaming is not an athletic sport, so no, video games do not belong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    The Olympic committee may not agree, but Chess has been widely accepted as a sport as well.
    BS. chess is a game.

Boxing is the most violent sport in human history. Incompetent IOC President doesn't know olympic history. Sad.