View Poll Results: What should be done about catcalling/street harassment?

Voters
129. This poll is closed
  • Fines

19 14.73%
  • Name and shame

6 4.65%
  • Improved education

20 15.50%
  • Victims should just toughen up

84 65.12%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A law making catcalling a crime was actually passed here in Portugal last year. Iirc the fine applied to the catcaller would have a fraction of it go to the "victim" and the big part go to the national NPO which helps domestic violence victims, a noble gesture.

It failed massively though. A survey not long ago discovered that, while catcalling still happens, women think is too much a bother to call the police or go to a station to report the the incident.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Isn't the bold the same reasoning used to rationalize certain biased activities that are blatantly racist?
    Only if you conclude black people are fucking catcalling street harassers!

It doesn't matter the color or gender for fuck sakes.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't prohibit men of expressing sexual interest once for all ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azgraal View Post
    A law making catcalling a crime was actually passed here in Portugal last year. Iirc the fine applied to the catcaller would have a fraction of it go to the "victim" and the big part go to the national NPO which helps domestic violence victims, a noble gesture.

It failed massively though. A survey not long ago discovered that, while catcalling still happens, women think is too much a bother to call the police or go to a station to report the the incident.
    Yep sounds like a society and generations of women trained to shut the fuck up, yeah good thing people in this country aren't like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Why don't prohibit men of expressing sexual interest once for all ?
    Men don't express themselves way, only dipshits and fucking lowlifes.

10+ Year Old Account
    This really is amazing. I rarely come here anymore and yet I can still recognize a tennisace post without even needing to see who made the thread. MMO-Champions very own content aggregator is still here putting that work in all these years later. Banned for anti American posting more times than i could even remember, but still trucking along. Scouring those Internet articles for anything that will rustle an SJW haters jimmies.

I would urge you to goto /pol/ Tennis. You could really get those jimmies rustled there. This place is small town. There's like ten liberals for every conservative. And it's the conservatives you always go for. You want the big leagues! You've put the work in, heaven knows. Treat yourself Tennis. Go to /pol/ and share this story with them.

As for the topic itself? Not very quality Tennis. Minorities are the main ones who catcall. Not to mention all someone has to do is lie and say they didn't catcall in which case you've wasted law enforcements time. Good story in spirit but it lacks the meat and potatoes to really get someone's jimmies a'rustling.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Men don't express themselves way, only dipshits and fucking lowlifes.
    Sure, there are those uneducated and disrespectful assholes, but come on, every day i see a thread, or in the news, abour women complaining on how men harass them in the streets, in the college, in the workplace, in the public transport... everywhere. And often those complains are just about small things, like a small stare, a compliment or a coworker that (god forbid.. the horror !!) may like her. I mean, thinks that everyone should just don't give a fu** and keep going.

Its almost like they don't like this more expansive sexuality men tend to show. And thats how we are, how we always been, and trying to fight this is pretty much like trying to opress male sexuality. So we can just show interest for women after they expressly authorize us, otherwise we are just a creepy stalker.

Thats ridiculous and disrespectful with women legitimately victims of sexual harassment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    Your beyond saving. The indoctrination has sunk to low. I DONT CONDONE CATCALLING. Let me reiterate since your understanding of English is shaky at best. I DONT BELIEVE THAT BECAUSE SOMETHING IS SCUMMY IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. People have the right to express them selves i anyway as long as their hands stay to themselves. Thats what I support you freedom hating authoritarian.
    I don't need to be saved and I am not seeking your shitty advice or convinced you even know what the fuck you are talking about.

But I am glad you don't think all scummy things should be illegal since frankly that might change your whole life, but no you don't have the right to express yourself at the expense of another, but as I said so long as you are ok with the same behavior being visited on your wife or women in your life you love and respect.

Because no women shouldn't have to put up with that shit, and they should have legal remedies to deal with that, besides being married to someone who treats them like shit, deciding he doesn't give a fuck how other women are treated just not his property.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Think I've been catcalled like 4 times my entire life.

Is it really a big deal?
    For attractive and/or fit women it is a major problem.

Yep sounds like a society and generations of women trained to shut the fuck up, yeah good thing people in this country aren't like that.
    Or they don't want to waste a couple of hours of their day to combat a non-issue?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Sure, there are those uneducated and disrespectful assholes, but come on, every day i see a thread, or in the news, abour women complaining on how men harass them in the streets, in the college, in the workplace, in the public transport... everywhere. And often those complains are just about small things, like a small stare, a compliment or a coworker that (god forbid.. the horror !!) may like her. I mean, thinks that everyone should just don't give a fu** and keep going.

Its almost like they don't like this more expansive sexuality men tend to show. And thats how we are, how we always been, and trying to fight this is pretty much like trying to opress male sexuality. So we can just show interest for women after they expressly authorize us, otherwise we are just a creepy stalker.

Thats ridiculous and disrespectful with women legitimately victims of sexual harassment.
    This isn't happening because a bunch of dudes interested in a nice looking lady came over to say hello. And trying to pretend laws being in place to prevent what actually happens isn't going to end that.

I am not going to go towards people should just get a thickers skin. I mean how about if I go mug someone with a few of my friends holding a gun, right I mean as long as I don't physically hurt them right, all they need to do is just not carry a wallet or learn to defend themselves like walking with all their friends.

Sorry I will pass on that critically fucking stupid notioning

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    What kind of a woman would respond positively to catcalling? You'd have to be total trash to find it positive being catcalled.
    Some women are desperate and think any attention is good attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    Or they don't want to waste a couple of hours of their day to combat a non-issue?
    Yeah, in other words trained. You are right it is too much of a bother for some women to speak up for themselves if they are treated like shit or work the system to protect themselves the way men do.

And no men use the law too, and it isn't just to protect themselves physically.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    This really is amazing. I rarely come here anymore and yet I can still recognize a tennisace post without even needing to see who made the thread. MMO-Champions very own content aggregator is still here putting that work in all these years later. Banned for anti American posting more times than i could even remember, but still trucking along. Scouring those Internet articles for anything that will rustle an SJW haters jimmies.

I would urge you to goto /pol/ Tennis. You could really get those jimmies rustled there. This place is small town. There's like ten liberals for every conservative. And it's the conservatives you always go for. You want the big leagues! You've put the work in, heaven knows. Treat yourself Tennis. Go to /pol/ and share this story with them.

As for the topic itself? Not very quality Tennis. Minorities are the main ones who catcall. Not to mention all someone has to do is lie and say they didn't catcall in which case you've wasted law enforcements time. Good story in spirit but it lacks the meat and potatoes to really get someone's jimmies a'rustling.
    Well it's great you could wheel your ass over here and tell us about how you feel minorities would be more affected by laws that restrict being a catcalling asshole. I guess you are right everybody loves their own echo chamber somewhere else, where somebody and come people mostly agree with them except for a few Liberals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    For attractive and/or fit women it is a major problem.
    Was waiting for this. You're literally calling that person ugly. And you're also wrong as fuck. I've seen guys who catcall. I worked with them when I did construction. They would do it to fat chicks and hot chicks both. They did it to make them feel good. And I never once saw any woman upset by it. Not one time. In fact most flirted back. Then again this is the real world I live in. In the real world people laugh at stories like this. But I'm not hating. I wouldn't have you be any other kind of content aggregator Tennisace. Keep on keeping on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, in other words trained. You are right it is too much of a bother for some women to speak up for themselves if they are treated like shit or work the system to protect themselves the way men do.

- - - Updated - - -

Well it's great you could wheel your ass over here and tell us about how you feel minorities would be more affected by laws that restrict being a catcalling asshole. I guess you are right everybody loves their own echo chamber somewhere else, where somebody and come people mostly agree with them except for a few Liberals.
    Wheel my ass over here? How dare you talk down to me. You fucking ableist! Ableist!!! Also I can't understand the last half of what you said so I'll ignore it. "I guess you are right everybody loves their own echo chamber somewhere else, where somebody and come people mostly agree with them except for a few liberals"...wat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Was waiting for this. You're literally calling that person ugly. And you're also wrong as fuck. I've seen guys who catcall. I worked with them when I did construction. They would do it to fat chicks and hot chicks both.They did it to make them feel good.
    No they did it to get laid by the woman with the least amount of self confidence and self respect who would get down and blow them anywhere they asked.

Like telling a bar Karaoke singer that she can really singe and that they will be a star.

They did it to make them feel good. And I never once saw any woman upset by it. Not one time. In fact most flirted back. Then again this is the real world I live in. In the real world people laugh at stories like this. But I'm not hating. I wouldn't have you be any other kind of content aggregator Tennisace. Keep on keeping on.
    That isn't the fucking real world that's called a delusion of your own making where you marginalize people you don't actually fucking know outside of maybe an office environment or reddit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    These basement dwellers have zero clue what real women are like. They don't live in the real fucking world.
    Oh yeah I know that lol. You can always tell that. These guys are like /pol/ just on the opposite side of the spectrum.

In other words, it's a waste of fucking time for literally everyone involved. If someone is so mentally fragile that they can't handle a few somewhat vulgar words, they should probably seek professional help, because they are clearly not able to live in the real world.

Of all the things to crusade about, you pick one of the least impactful to society as a whole. Get some perspective dude.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't happening because a bunch of dudes interested in a nice looking lady came over to say hello. And trying to pretend laws being in place to prevent what actually happens isn't going to end that.

I am not going to go towards people should just get a thickers skin. I mean how about if I go mug someone with a few of my friends holding a gun, right I mean as long as I don't physically hurt them right, all they need to do is just not carry a wallet or learn to defend themselves like walking with all their friends.

Sorry I will pass on that critically fucking stupid notioning
    Yeah, catcalling is pretty much like a bunch of armed dudes trying to mess with you...
    /facepalm

Its disrespectful ? Yeah, sure.

I myself never did this, and i feel ashamed everytime i see someone doing this. But come on, theres no need to get the government involved in this.

I've been catcalled a few times, and most of those times by other men (i am a straight man btw). Do you know what i do? I don't care, or take as a compliment.

Would i be right to call the cops, or the justice system to punish those gay men who harassed me ?

Imo, they were just expressing their sexuality and not causing any harm. So i think i'd be wrong on doing this.
    Last edited by igualitarist; 2017-08-30 at 02:06 AM.

You can't rape someone with words, unpleasant people are everywhere but it's not a crime to be unpleasant, it's not a crime to be intimidating (such a subjective concept). Some girls actually like and feed off of these guys too, it is encouraged or expected to some extent in smaller closed communities.. I don't think it's a serious problem, it's something that has always existed and "toughen up" is the right answer..

The world isn't always a very nice place, hell it's often not a very nice place.. But things being "not very nice" doesn't mean they are crimes or should be considered crimes, especially something so subjective.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Only if you conclude black people are fucking catcalling street harassers!

It doesn't matter the color or gender for fuck sakes.
    ....I wasn't talking about specifically catcalling.

"what matters is that our citizens feel safe when walking on the streets." is the mindset that people are want to use when they want to handle matters a certain way. Like following random strangers in their neighborhood they don't recognize or think don't belong. Like stop and frisk targeting people who appear to be mexican/latino/hispanic/etc in white neighborhoods.

I know you tunnel vision hard on these subjects and forget that sometimes these arguments are used by cis-het-white men as well to justify their own actions.