View Poll Results: What should be done about catcalling/street harassment?

Voters
129. This poll is closed
  • Fines

19 14.73%
  • Name and shame

6 4.65%
  • Improved education

20 15.50%
  • Victims should just toughen up

84 65.12%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Midget View Post
    Wheel my ass over here? How dare you talk down to me. You fucking ableist! Ableist!!! Also I can't understand the last half of what you said so I'll ignore it. "I guess you are right everybody loves their own echo chamber somewhere else, where somebody and come people mostly agree with them except for a few liberals"...wat?
    Well you have a photo of a guy in a wheel chair you claim you are in a wheel chair, should I have said walked your ass over here. Wait you aren't offended by my tone or speak from text when you really can't know for sure from it.

I don't give a shit if people mostly agree with me or not, echo chamber not withstanding, I can make an argument all on my own and do it in circles around guys who forgot their script.

There is nothing ok about shouting at someone from across the fucking street or sidewalk, it's fucking stupid, and it isn't about respect, it is about lack of intelligence. I mean if I want to talk to a woman I go up like a human being introduce myself and strike up a conversation to see if she is interested maybe ask her out.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No they did it to get laid by the woman with the least amount of self confidence and self respect who would get down and blow them anywhere they asked.

Like telling a bar Karaoke singer that she can really singe and that they will be a star.

That isn't the fucking real world that's called a delusion of your own making where you marginalize people you don't actually fucking know outside of maybe an office environment or reddit.
    Oh that's why they did it? You actually think that way wow. I love all the assumptions you make left and right. It's cute. You keep living your forum life mall security. With 20,000 posts we both know which of us sees more of the real world than the other. Also I'd like an apology for you mocking me as a disabled person. Fucking ableists I swear.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't happening because a bunch of dudes interested in a nice looking lady came over to say hello. And trying to pretend laws being in place to prevent what actually happens isn't going to end that.

I am not going to go towards people should just get a thickers skin. I mean how about if I go mug someone with a few of my friends holding a gun, right I mean as long as I don't physically hurt them right, all they need to do is just not carry a wallet or learn to defend themselves like walking with all their friends.

Sorry I will pass on that critically fucking stupid notioning
    Wow comparing hearing offensive words to being violently robbed. You're not for real are you? You really should take a step out of the echo chamber friend. Maybe then that will see as insane to you as it does to people in the real world. Which is why there will never be a law equating "insults" with physical violence or threats of violence. Because most people don't think the way you do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Yeah, catcalling is pretty much like a bunch of armed dudes trying to mess with you...
    /facepalm

Its disrespectful ? Yeah, sure.
    Armed yeah, just a few of my friends yep, not touching you just want you to give your wallet right, I mean you don't have to give it right?

Again it's stupid to try to equate all genders are equal but then place bullshit burdens legally and physically on women walking down the street minding her own fucking business.

I myself never did this, and i feel ashamed everytime i see someone doing this.
    Great every woman doesn't need to put up with this shit until guys like you learned your lesson.

But come on, theres no need to get the government involved in this.
    Until or unless it happens to you and you feel like you are in a situation you feel powerless or intimidated?

I've been catcalled a few times, and most of those times by other men (i am a straight man btw). Do you know what i do? I don't care, or take as a compliment.
    As do some women what is your fucking point, if they want to get hit on go to a fucking club, doesn't mean every other woman wants to put up with that shit.

Would i be right to call the cops, or the justice system to punish those gay men who harassed me ?
    I don't know maybe sure, if you felt it was an issue and you found yourself not being alone, this isn't a gender issue, and no just because it is women doesn't mean a guy can't be in the same spot.

Imo, they were just expressing their sexuality and not causing any harm. So i think i'd be wrong on doing this.
    They are causing harm and some women are speaking out about it and making it clear it isn't something they fucking want. AT ALL, fuck your sexuality, get a magazine and knock one out in the bathroom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    In other words, it's a waste of fucking time for literally everyone involved. If someone is so mentally fragile that they can't handle a few somewhat vulgar words, they should probably seek professional help, because they are clearly not able to live in the real world.

Of all the things to crusade about, you pick one of the least impactful to society as a whole. Get some perspective dude.
    Waste of time if you don't value yourself maybe, or been taught not to.

Well yeah you know Ebola might be a cause to crusade about although I am sure a person can have more than one cause in various degrees.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    ....I wasn't talking about specifically catcalling.

"what matters is that our citizens feel safe when walking on the streets." is the mindset that people are want to use when they want to handle matters a certain way. Like following random strangers in their neighborhood they don't recognize or think don't belong. Like stop and frisk targeting people who appear to be mexican/latino/hispanic/etc in white neighborhoods.

I know you tunnel vision hard on these subjects and forget that sometimes these arguments are used by cis-het-white men as well to justify their own actions.
    Dude there is ZERO excuse for this shit none, I am half black have black men in my family none of them act like this at all, of course they talk to women, but they don't act like idiots because if they did, they would get called.

The racism and profiling you are talking about stems well beyond an issue such as this, no black person I know of is asking to be treated better than, just given the same consideration.

And yes I could see how this could be used to target men of color, the truth of the matter is I am confident enough in my knowledge that it isn't. Most black men like everyone else have enough self respect not to act like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    M: Hey girl, you have mighty fine ass
    F: Stop catcalling me.
    M: Okay, you have ugly ass, bye!

End of story.
    Haha yeah, because an ugly troll catcalling for an easy fuck is the most reliable source of critique of physical appearance LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    You can't rape someone with words, unpleasant people are everywhere but it's not a crime to be unpleasant, it's not a crime to be intimidating (such a subjective concept). Some girls actually like and feed off of these guys too, it is encouraged or expected to some extent in smaller closed communities.. I don't think it's a serious problem, it's something that has always existed and "toughen up" is the right answer..

The world isn't always a very nice place, hell it's often not a very nice place.. But things being "not very nice" doesn't mean they are crimes or should be considered crimes, especially something so subjective.
    Well as I stated someone mugs you with a gun they can't actually hurt you unless they pull the trigger and you say no, especially if they are with a few of their buddies, no reason to have these laws on the books.

Not with the 2A and All WIld WIld West Yall!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that's why they did it? You actually think that way wow. I love all the assumptions you make left and right. It's cute. You keep living your forum life mall security. With 20,000 posts we both know which of us sees more of the real world than the other. Also I'd like an apology for you mocking me as a disabled person. Fucking ableists I swear.
    Right on Eric everything that begins and ends with getting PUSSY am I right? Are you fucking serious, yes I have over 20.000 post your bio says you are in a wheelchair.

But you should keep saying "ableists" I am sure it will catch on, because you think you know w

Wow comparing hearing offensive words to being violently robbed. You're not for real are you? You really should take a step out of the echo chamber friend. Maybe then that will see as insane to you as it does to people in the real world. Which is why there will never be a law equating "insults" with physical violence or threats of violence. Because most people don't think the way you do.

Why not, I mean we have conceal carry laws now, guys are free to associate and assemble so long as they aren't in one place too long loitering GAWD, they haven't done anything Eric they just want some money that is all, you have a thick skin right?

Well as I stated someone mugs you with a gun they can't actually hurt you unless they pull the trigger and you say no, especially if they are with a few of their buddies, no reason to have these laws on the books.

Not with the 2A and All WIld WIld West Yall!
    And how exactly does this relate to "Hey baby you got a nice ass" across the street and then getting on with your lives? You're intelligent enough to know this comparison you're making is nonsensical, and you're doing it for the sake of argument rather than because it's a rational/logical comparison.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Your poll is awful. Actual harassment should get fined. Just cat-calling is not really harassment. Yes, it's annoying, but for the love of god, it'll happen. If they start harassing you AND cat-calling, then by all means, sic the cops at them...but cat-calling alone is not harassment.

Toughen up and just insult the twat if you don't appreciate being cat-called.

Waste of time if you don't value yourself maybe, or been taught not to.
    No, that is the complete opposite of valuing yourself. If you value yourself, mean words don't get to you because you know they're not true, or that you are better then the person saying them in this case, so who gives a shit. If you need protecting from something this minor, it shows you think yourself very incapable and weak. (Not you specifically.)

It is kind of telling how you think women need to be protected from words. Maybe one day you'll realize adults, even women, don't need to be sheltered from every minor inconvenience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    No, that is the complete opposite of valuing yourself. If you value yourself, mean words don't get to you because you know they're not true, or that you are better then the person saying them in this case, so who gives a shit. If you need protecting from something this minor, it shows you think yourself very incapable and weak. (Not you specifically.)

It is kind of telling how you think women need to be protected from words. Maybe one day you'll realize adults, even women, don't need to be sheltered from every minor inconvenience.
    No that is brainwashing, valuing yourself means not seeing yourself as better or worse, but also entitled to the same protections under the law as any human being should. Men just like Women use the law to protect themselves and it isn't because they are pussies, or because their is always a physical threat.

And in this case the threat can be much more real since some of this unwanted shit has and does lead to fucking assaults, as some get bolder and bolder. Now if you live in a society where women are property and this kind of shit is ok as long as it only go so far as some guy or guys say so well then, maybe that is what you consider more valuable.

Now as for trying to speak on behalf on random women, I will let you go ahead and do that, because I am just supporting what some women are already saying IS a fucking problem. So no I don't buy your bullshit, or programming that it's weak for a woman to have agency a man would.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was waiting for this. You're literally calling that person ugly. And you're also wrong as fuck. I've seen guys who catcall. I worked with them when I did construction. They would do it to fat chicks and hot chicks both. They did it to make them feel good. And I never once saw any woman upset by it. Not one time. In fact most flirted back. Then again this is the real world I live in. In the real world people laugh at stories like this. But I'm not hating. I wouldn't have you be any other kind of content aggregator Tennisace. Keep on keeping on.
    Let's see. Do I believe women out there who are writing articles and posting their experiences or do I believe you? I believe the former. Clearly it's a major problem.

Dude there is ZERO excuse for this shit none, I am half black have black men in my family none of them act like this at all, of course they talk to women, but they don't act like idiots because if they did, they would get called.

The racism and profiling you are talking about stems well beyond an issue such as this, no black person I know of is asking to be treated better than, just given the same consideration.
    Who said anythign about any specific race or group catcalling more? Well... the obvious males do it more prevalent in the thread no doubt. I did not mention anything about black people. I didn't ask abuot your heritage, I didn't state my own. I suggested other examples where people referred to their idea of keeping 'citizens' safe. You're argument about "not all [insert]" seems to get disregarded on some examples in threads on this site quite often and it's amusing that that's the argument you want to bring up in a discussion that you seem to be having with yourself.

And yes I could see how this could be used to target men of color, the truth of the matter is I am confident enough in my knowledge that it isn't. Most black men like everyone else have enough self respect not to act like this.
    What you want this to be is irrelevant to how it WILL be used. And anyone with half a brain knows that it will just be a pointless workload on those enforcing it cause someone didn't like what someone said to them. I will also point out that women have spoken out on this subject both in favor of and against catcalling... some women are also worse perpetrators of catcalling than men. And to me it sounds like a pointless attempt to target only one side of the problem from a minority perspective (and that's minority in the sense that it's the smaller group... not the group of non-white folk).

It's nice to see that you're non-racist view on this subject of not race didn't jump right into race... oh wait...

10+ Year Old Account
    And how exactly does this relate to "Hey baby you got a nice ass" across the street and then getting on with your lives? You're intelligent enough to know this comparison you're making is nonsensical, and you're doing it for the sake of argument rather than because it's a rational/logical comparison.
    Because you are marginalizing shit because you lack a perspective or have an indifference on the issue. "Hey baby nice ass" basically belittles the point, if a woman or women don't want or accept this shit they shouldn't and since this is a civilized fucking country and that sort of shit is better left for a night club anyways.

I just assume talking to women like they are shit, when they could simply be someones wife, mother or daughter minding her own fucking business traveling one place for another is sufficient enough to fine the assholes who do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who said anythign about any specific race or group catcalling more? Well... the obvious males do it more prevalent in the thread no doubt. I did not mention anything about black people. I didn't ask abuot your heritage, I didn't state my own. I suggested other examples where people referred to their idea of keeping 'citizens' safe. You're argument about "not all [insert]" seems to get disregarded on some examples in threads on this site quite often and it's amusing that that's the argument you want to bring up in a discussion that you seem to be having with yourself.
    Sorry then mixed you up with someone else. Someone did bring that up, and I thought you were one in the same based on the argument you made in your last post.

What you want this to be is irrelevant to how it WILL be used. And anyone with half a brain knows that it will just be a pointless workload on those enforcing it cause someone didn't like what someone said to them. I will also point out that women have spoken out on this subject both in favor of and against catcalling... some women are also worse perpetrators of catcalling than men. And to me it sounds like a pointless attempt to target only one side of the problem from a minority perspective (and that's minority in the sense that it's the smaller group... not the group of non-white folk).

It's nice to see that you're non-racist view on this subject of not race didn't jump right into race... oh wait...
    I think it will be a tool at the discretion of the police and a tool available for women should that shit get out of control and obviously like anything else if they have proof like a cell phone video or witnesses.

I am ok with fines and that shit going on someone's record.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Let's see. Do I believe women out there who are writing articles and posting their experiences or do I believe you? I believe the former. Clearly it's a major problem.
    Thing is that there are sources on both sides... this is like the stripper argument. Some women find it demeaning, some find it empowering... it's a matter of opinion and some people have different ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    No one is asking for an easy fuck, just giving compliments. You have to start with something. Some girls like it, some don't.
    From someone who didn't solicit or explicitly ask for it, it's a side walk not a cat walk or a strip club. I don't know how about starting with your name and introducing yourself like a normal human being, or saving that shit for a night club.

If you said Nice ass there well then it's par for the course.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-08-30 at 02:52 AM.

Because you are marginalizing shit because you lack a perspective or have an indifference on the issue. "Hey baby nice ass" basically belittles the point, if a woman or women don't want or accept this shit they shouldn't and since this is a civilized fucking country and that sort of shit is better left for a night club anyways.

I just assume talking to women like they are shit, when they could simply be someones wife, mother or daughter minding her own fucking business traveling one place for another is sufficient enough to fine the assholes who do it.
    Yes but you're equating subjective comments not being nice or not being comfortable with a crime. Some people are unpleasant and that is what this boils down to, being unpleasant is not a crime, and some women actually enjoy this. It's the same situation as someone being offended, nothing happens when you're offended and what is viewed as offensive is subjective, people should have the right to be offensive.

Nobody is getting hurt, no crimes are being commited.. It happens, it's life, the world can be an unpleasant place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing is that there are sources on both sides... this is like the stripper argument. Some women find it demeaning, some find it empowering... it's a matter of opinion and some people have different ones.
    NOO this isn't that fucking argument any woman that likes this shit is free to fucking do so, and this says nothing about that, this says that on a fucking street, it isn't a free for all to make dumb fucking comments of a sexual or sexist nature.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but you're equating subjective comments not being nice or not being comfortable with a crime. Some people are unpleasant and that is what this boils down to, being unpleasant is not a crime, and some women actually enjoy this. It's the same situation as someone being offended, nothing happens when you're offended and what is viewed as offensive is subjective, people should have the right to be offensive.

Nobody is getting hurt, no crimes are being commited.
    No no not see I am a guy and your attitude I get, because I am not afraid of the same things that a woman might be, and for good reason because the environment we live in is still one where guys are allowed to be openly hostile towards women and women have to wait until something happens to be protected.

If you applied that sort of thing towards any situations like a crowd of guys walking down the street mugging people, you can make the same bullshit arguments, because I promise you while you might not be shot, or in fear generally a guy has himself and a few of his friends asking for a street loan, you are going to feel very similar.

Which is why I brought it up because unless I do you aren't going to fucking it. It isn't normal, it isn't OK and not every woman gives a fuck or how natural and harmless YOU think it is.

It's a side walk not a strip club, so if women lobby to change the laws to stop that shit I support it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Imo, proposal like this make women seem weak. Really, when you think you need protection of government from.... rude words that hurt your feelings, thats because you're not so strong as you might think.

I am not talking about death or rape threats, or being physically assaulted or robbed. I am talking about a random asshole saying stupid things to you.

But maybe importing many people from places that treat women like trash may cause this thing to become a real problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo, proposal like this make women seem weak. Really, when you think you need protection of government from.... rude words that hurt your feelings, thats because you're not so strong as you might think.

I am not talking about death or rape threats, or being physically assaulted or robbed. I am talking about a random asshole saying stupid things to you.

But maybe importing many people from places that treat women like trash may cause this thing to become a real problem.
    IMO Responses like this make Men look weak like we can't fucking handle not doing dipshit stuff like this, or our fucking hormones are so out of fucking control we are just going to jerk ourselves off to death if we can't express every god damn thought to every woman that comes to our heads.

But it's good to know at least rape and death threats is the line you will tow.

Pretty low bar.

NOO this isn't that fucking argument any woman that likes this shit is free to fucking do so, and this says nothing about that, this says that on a fucking street, it isn't a free for all to make dumb fucking comments of a sexual or sexist nature.

- - - Updated - - -

No no not see I am a guy and your attitude I get, because I am not afraid of the same things that a woman might be, and for good reason because the environment we live in is still one where guys are allowed to be openly hostile towards women and women have to wait until something happens to be protected.

If you applied that sort of thing towards any situations like a crowd of guys walking down the street mugging people, you can make the same bullshit arguments, because I promise you while you might not be shot, or in fear generally a guy has himself and a few of his friends asking for a street loan, you are going to feel very similar.

Which is why I brought it up because unless I do you aren't going to fucking it. It isn't normal, it isn't OK and not every woman gives a fuck or how natural and harmless YOU think it is.

It's a side walk not a strip club, so if women lobby to change the laws to stop that shit I support it.
    Yes but women not liking it is subjective however we look at it, being unpleasant is not a crime. I'm not the person doing this, nor do I think highly of people who act like this, but that doesn't mean I think there should be fines or it should be considered a crime.. What a crazy world that would be, and what exactly are you fighting for here? What exactly is your solution to this extremely subjective topic which essentially boils down to you overreacting to the possibility that some girl may feel intimidated or offended by a whistle or comment about their appearance.

It's never something we're going to agree on, because while I don't think highly of clowns who act this way I also don't think there is anything about what they're doing that constitutes a crime or warrants a fine, the majority of the time it is purely harmless and sometimes it even results in mutual connections.. I've literally seen it happen so many times with guys hooking up with these girls right there or engaging in mutual friendly conversations.

Females are not all vulnerable little fairys, and just because you boil down these willing participants as "unintelligent" that doesn't take away from the fact that they are real people.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-08-30 at 03:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever seen I-81?

Cops do enough useless public servant groveling. I always laugh at the idea of white privilege but asking people to be fined for hitting on you no matter how much you do not like it sounds like bullshit to me lol why dont you just stand up for yourself. that sounds very privileged.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2017-08-30 at 03:52 AM.

Fines for catcalling would recognize street harassment as serious problem
    That's a pretty good reason to not fine anyone - it's not a serious problem, so there's no need to recognize it as such.

The one thing that would be hilarious is seeing how swiftly the actual outcome of any such law would labeled racist.