Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I feel the same. I think WoW has become the epitome of generic MMO and that the RPG of MMORPG is just an afterthought at this point. We're just generic heroes, who all can do it all. Our role is generic now too, you're either Tank, Healer or DPS, not specialized like it was back in the day. Sure, they play slightly differently, but that slight is not enough to classify it as different. Gone are the days where you brought a Paladin tank because they were amazing tank healers; you brought a Druid for the HoT's they were able to dole out; you brought a Shaman for the AoE healing; or a Priest for the damage reduction capabilities.

When we're all relatively the same, the differences really are nothing but fluff.

In a land where everyone is special, no one is special.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otyknip View Post
    Where THE FUCK did you saw suggesting? It was pure whining, bitching and moaning.

double /thread.
    clearly all can be seen as a wanting, or suggestion, that it go back to the way it was.

double not /thread
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Deleted
    Broke my leg, off work. Haven't played WoW since WOTLK.

Got Legion a week or so ago. Hit 110 with 12hours played (is that slow?) didn't die once leveling, seriously faceroll. Google what to do at 110, dauntless gear. Ok do 2 legion invasions, face roll. At some point i got a legendary belt, ilvl 970?!?!?! Get full dauntless gear, start doing lfr (my first death was joining a wiping lfr grp lol) and heroics, faceroll dont have to bother learning mechanics because you just zerg them. Even Kiljaden wtf?!. My rotation is 5 buttons?!!

Can't fly yet tho so theres that...

I used to pvp mainly, haven't seen what its like yet. But if the rest of this snooze fest is anything to go by.

Hate to be one of those 'I remember Vanilla' guys but it was a better game I actually had to communicate with other humans. I knew who the big dogs on the alliance and horde were. I knew who was going for rank 14 and when to queue snipe them. When AV was all the rage it lasted days it was mint. The guilds gave the server life. (I played on Sunstrider) the subforum on sunstrider.net where people would post pictures of people they ganked or call someone out and sully thier server reputation (server rep mattered lol people had to name change if they ninjalooted). Do people make pvp videos anymore lol? The game was brutal, guild drama, ninja looters, hours of wipes. Shit i remember when Nightshade gave a hunter the servers first thunderfury (lol melee hunter).

I'm max level havent had to communicate with a single human to get ilvl 900 in less that 3 days played. This game is piss. I won't be renewing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never thought that any of it actually mattered. It's a video game. A pretty good one but still a video game. I never much played to massage my ego by comparing myself to anyone else. If I played well, I knew it and that was reward in itself. If I played less well than I was capable I knew that too and resolved to do better next time.

I'm just not that much of a narcissist that I have to have people paying attention to me or feel special or anything even remotely like that.

TL-DR: It's not life. That's where stuff matters.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-08-29 at 09:59 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I never thought that any of it actually mattered. It's a video game. A pretty good one but still a video game. I never much played to massage my ego by comparing myself to anyone else. If I played well, I knew it and that was reward in itself. If I played less well than I was capable I knew that too and resolved to do better next time.

I'm just not that much of a narcissist that I have to have people paying attention to me or feel special or anything even remotely like that.

It is life and it does matter though. Playing games evoke real emotions, experiences and create real memories. Many people have childhood memories of various console games that they cherrish. A whole generation of gamers who where kids/teens in the vanilla-wotlk era grew up with WoW and have a strong connection to the game. Yes you can say "it's just a game", but that dismissive to people who it actually meant something more to for a period in their life.

Also it's not about other people, the social and interactive part plays a role but if that's what you got hung up on then you're missing the point. If I can craft an exclusive item and get known for that, I enjoy my character more because I feel connected to it as I spent time and effort to learn to craft that. That's where the reward is, and being able to provide that service to people on my realm and being known for that. If everyone can craft it or if it's not needed at all, it's pointless/valueless... The reward doesn't come from other people looking at my character and thinking "ahmagawd what a crafter /fapfapfap" like you seem to assume.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodd View Post
    It's hard to believe, but many people care about the experiences this game used to give them.

The changes being made to the game to cater to people who do not intend to spend much time with it has alienated the core audience.
    No dice, i was the core audience back in vanilla, and i still feel the game caters to me now. People grow up, more games flood the market every day. Not all of us stay the same after 13 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    In a land where everyone is special, no one is special.
    It's completely true, but at this point in the life of the game I don't think a transition back to a proper MMORPG would be beneficial. Lessons can be learned from what's happened though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redroniksre View Post
    No dice, i was the core audience back in vanilla, and i still feel the game caters to me now. People grow up, more games flood the market every day. Not all of us stay the same after 13 years.
    I think this is the problem itself though. The game has had keep dynamically changing in order to continue to cater to people who really don't want an MMORPG anymore and I'd say everything was fine and dandy if Blizzard was working on another MMO built in the more traditional sense and maintained this one as the super casual game it's become.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Missed the fact that your alts could be low level and still very useful for profession and fun low level twinking.

Absolutely one of the highlights in the game for me back then. Had shaman main with enchanting, but my alt rogue was at level 40 with alchemist and herbalism.

Had another level 30+ character with skinning.

They remained alts at low level and were useful throughout the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Domoda View Post
    Comparing to vanilla, because one must always compare to vanilla.

Things like your name, transmog (or just gear back then), how you were percieved by other players on the realm, your "skills" or lack thereof, your professions, what keys you had, even your personality... all meant so much. It was all rolled into you/your character and the connection was real.

I try to connect to my character these days but it's not the same at all, because none of those things matter any more. For me it's led to a kind of disconnect. Anyone feel the same?
    I mean sure that's one issue but a much larger issue is that with all the difficulties, titanforging, gear/AP resets every patch and sheer amount of loot we get crammed down our throats nothing feels rewarding anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

Stupid answer trying to act mature but just missing the point.

It's kind of thematic for everything to matter when you're worrying about surviving against a pack of wolves with a couple toothpicks.
    It's equally thematic for nothing to matter when you're destroying gods and planets with world-rending magic hammers of destiny.

It may well be that we'll need to wait for a reboot for things to 'start mattering' again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    It's kind of thematic for everything to matter when you're worrying about surviving against a pack of wolves with a couple toothpicks.
    It's equally thematic for nothing to matter when you're destroying gods and planets with world-rending magic hammers of destiny.

It may well be that we'll need to wait for a reboot for things to 'start mattering' again.
    That's a good point too. It makes you wonder where it will go more long term. Every expansion seemingly tries to have a bigger and badder boss and more and more powerful heroes. I for one would just like an expansion with huge continent to explore and adventure in without any overarching "you're the chosen snowflake" storyline that's tied to every instance, raid and zone forced down my throat.

Quote Originally Posted by otyknip View Post
    OMG A game that I play for 13year is not the same, like when I played it for a first time.

WHAT A SURPRISE.

If you dont like how your character feels - quit the game, do something else.

/thread
    Be careful, you might end up being one of 10 people left playing the game if Blizzard had the same attitude you do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Be careful, you might end up being one of 10 people left playing the game if Blizzard had the same attitude you do.
    Guess what, Blizzard has the same attitude and yet people are still playing

- - - Updated - - -

Things like your name, transmog (or just gear back then), how you were percieved by other players on the realm, your "skills" or lack thereof, your professions, what keys you had, even your personality... all meant so much. It was all rolled into you/your character and the connection was real.

I try to connect to my character these days but it's not the same at all, because none of those things matter any more. For me it's led to a kind of disconnect. Anyone feel the same?
    -Reputation is still the same, if you have changed server and people you know are no longer in game, nobody cares?
    -Xmog, really?
    -Skills -> Get 3k myth+ score/myth raiding/title and show off your "skill"
    -Personality? wut

Also comparing with vanilla is so wrong that i guess you haven't played vanilla

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I disagree, but I think it's because we've experienced WoW at a different level.
    You're speaking about your character relative to your realm. That's where it's easy to draw on low hanging fruit like CRZ, Raid Finder and things that PUGs experience.

I speak about my character relative to my guild. That's my community as far as I'm concerned. My skills, professions, attunements and personality mean absolutely everything. I don't care if I don't stand out on my realm; they don't really matter much to me. That's where our mindsets are different, and there's nothing wrong with that until we try to push our mindsets onto others as if one of us was "more right."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    WoW is now much, much more of a drop-in-and-play game than an MMORPG. We celebrate the removal of chores, farming, repetition, lengthy attunements, etc etc. Hitting max level, getting professions to max, hitting certain Rep levels, being able to enter raids, was a real effort and thus it felt significant when you earned the rewards. When was the last time hitting max level felt like you actually did something? I mean for the last 3 expansions, the new levels to hit the new max level are just 20 hours of easy questing if anything.

Then we wonder why nothing feel significant when we clear yet another raid on launch day.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    -I remember waiting weeks for a trinket from BWL or a spell sword from naxx40, and finally getting it felt great..
    We got the same system today. It's called "legendaries".
    People hate it for the very same reasons you said it was great.

Deleted
    It's the problem of missing server identity AND the shift in the playerbase.
    Back then (I started in TBC) players were more of a older MMO fans, who respected the genre and had more deeper connection to the game and community, now the palyerbase is more younger and one that grew up on games like LoL where it's ok to just join a match, play a game with 9 people and leave after 20 minutes never to see them again.

And this is also the case with LFG/LFR, you are constantly queing with hundreds and hundreds of people that you don't even say a word to and you never see them again.
    Just last night I peaked my head in LFR for the first time in Legion to see how it's going (and to get that sweet 800g for joining as healer) and out of 25 people only 4 were talking in chat and one of them was just raging and cursing about his low dps.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rici View Post
    We got the same system today. It's called "legendaries".
    People hate it for the very same reasons you said it was great.
    Legendaries are not the same AT ALL as killing a certain same boss X times for an item that's 100% known to be on it's drop table, saving up DKP etc.

Legion-daries are a preset RNG list with a chance of getting 8 or so others before you get the one you actually might want.