Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Sure, if you like to live your life based on generalizations.
    Do you really believe then women can drink as much as men? Yes, there are some women that can outdrink the average guy. But on average, men can drink way more then women. Whats the average weight of a man? Whats the average weight of a woman?

SJWs have no problem denying science when it doesn't fit their worldview. Women are smaller than men and thus if drinking at the same rate as men will suffer the effects of the alcohol worse than men. Most universities require freshmen to take a course/class on the dangers of alcohol that explains this to them.

Both are vulnerable, while a woman is more likely to be victimized.

Telling only women that it is bad to compete with men while drinking is where the idiocy comes in. Competitiveness combined with drinking is inherently stupid, which is why it would be smarter to discourage everyone from doing it rather than targeting one gender. The ad is only discouraging women from competing with men when drinking, it doesn't discourage women from being competitive while drinking with women.

The whole premise that it is just women who shouldn't try to compete with men is ignoring the larger problem; excessive drinking is dangerous, regardless of which gender you are and who you're competing with. Where the ad was run and the message on the ad is toeing the line of victim blaming, the tone comes pretty close.
    You're not wrong about the dangers of excessive drinking in general, but there is also zero reason for people to complain about the ad. Regardless if the message could have been worded better, it's still not a bad message in it's current form. Women shouldn't try to compete with guys drinking. The fact that you think something that is common sense is borderline victim blaming is sad.

The people bitching aren't mad because it doesn't warn against the dangers of excessive drinking in general, they're mad because it was only posted in the women's bathroom because "muh sexism and muh patriarchy." People complaining about this are professional victims and thrive off the attention this brings them. They are pathetic attention whores.
    Last edited by Amerrol; 2017-08-30 at 11:30 PM.

... I've been seeing such "ads" since I first became a teen, strictly proclaiming the fact that women can and DO get off-their-tits (not in those words) drunk before the average man. It's biology and custom, guys drink more often and more per time than women tend to.

In a perfect world, nobody would be made a victim. But since we don't live in a perfect world, women can at least do their best to minimize the risks.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-08-30 at 11:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Everyone knows competitive drinking is dangerous. The ads are saying that women shouldnt try to keep up with men. Idk if you went to college at all, but if you did, then you would understand the party scene. Guys drink way more often, and in much higher amounts then women, in general. All the girls i know that drink with other girls, will have a big bottle of moscato and think thats heavy drinking. All the guys i know will drink a 30 pack in a day. Women complain that they dont feel safe on campus. This college is telling women things they can do to lower their risk of becoming a statistic.

If you have a problem with this, and want to call it victim blaming, please refer to the pic i posted earlier.
    Related to the picture you posted earlier...http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...ets-180953396/
    Yeah, you're in favor of victim blaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Related to the picture you posted earlier...http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...ets-180953396/
    Yeah, you're in favor of victim blaming.
    If i told you not to walk through a city with all your money in your hand, loudly exclaiming how much money you have, would that be victim blaming if you did that and then got robbed? Or is that just common sense?

So wait, a poster using science showing that men's and women's bodies are not equal is being blasted for saying men and women are not equal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    So wait, a poster using science showing that men's and women's bodies are not equal is being blasted for saying men and women are not equal?
    Google manifesto all over again.

Britain has a problem with drinking anyway. We drink far too much when we do decide to get drunk, and it causes all sorts of problems. Everyone should lay off the gin a bit. I'd personally love to take on a more European attitude but that kind of cultural shift would be nigh on impossible.

I've cut down a lot myself as well. I used to drink until I got plastered, and felt like shit the next day. Also being told by my bf what I was like during the time I was drunk made me horribly embarrassed. So I now only have one or two when I do go out and don't regret it the next day. But I've learned that people are idiots when drunk; loud, obnoxious, and generally nasty. We need some education to show us that we don't need to get wasted to have a good time.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, someone getting offended at something stupid. Par for the course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Sure, if you like to live your life based on generalizations.
    Is this a bit? I honestly can't tell if this is a bit.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Both are vulnerable, while a woman is more likely to be victimized.

Telling only women that it is bad to compete with men while drinking is where the idiocy comes in. Competitiveness combined with drinking is inherently stupid, which is why it would be smarter to discourage everyone from doing it rather than targeting one gender. The ad is only discouraging women from competing with men when drinking, it doesn't discourage women from being competitive while drinking with women.

The whole premise that it is just women who shouldn't try to compete with men is ignoring the larger problem; excessive drinking is dangerous, regardless of which gender you are and who you're competing with. Where the ad was run and the message on the ad is toeing the line of victim blaming, the tone comes pretty close.

Doesn't matter what line you personally think it toes, something like the concept of victim-blaming is going to be subjective to the individual reading it. There will never be some sort of objective standard that absolutely will not offend anyone and it's futile to try to adopt one. It's no excuse not to try of course when we're talking about an advertising campaign but it has to be accepted somebody on twitter would complain regardless when the aim is to get people not to do something.

So what's next, women and minorities won't be held accountable for driving while drinking?

If I cashed all my money and put it in a box at the side of the road, and the next day found out someone had taken it, does that vindicate the thief? Obviously not, but how many people would truly feel that I had no responsibility for what happened to me? Why are women doing idiotic things while drunk not held to the same reasonable standard?

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Google manifesto all over again.
    Yeah, but even this isn't saying "men are better than women," it's just saying that "your bodies are different, you can't drink as much." It's not like "you are lesser of a person" type thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Yeah, but even this isn't saying "men are better than women," it's just saying that "your bodies are different, you can't drink as much." It's not like "you are lesser of a person" type thing.
    Im not gonna argue it cause its offtopic but my impression of the google memo was not "you are lesser", it was saying that on average, women are different than men in certain ways, but everyone is an individual and there are some women that excel in the exact same ways as men.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the issue on either side.

Could someone clarify?
    The ones that want to take issue with it think it's saying "Women, if you drink and get raped it's your fault" when in actuality what it says it "Women, you're going to suffer the effects of alcohol much worse than a man if you're drinking the same amount"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    The ones that want to take issue with it think it's saying "Women, if you drink and get raped it's your fault" when in actuality what it says it "Women, you're going to suffer the effects of alcohol much worse than a man if you're drinking the same amount"

Funny, it says neither of those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Funny, it says neither of those things.
    The later is exactly what the pictures are displaying and what a CSU required freshman course on alcohol will tell you. The former is what people are interpreting it to mean, just look at the quotes in the article 'One woman wrote on Twitter that the message was "ridiculous and offensive to women." A Facebook comment reads, "Once again women are responsible for their own victimization. My goodness, is this 2017 or 1917?" ' the only thing this poster shows a woman being a victim of is math, biology, and chemistry.