Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    story, gameplay, performance ..pixels

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    I don't care about graphics, I care about the art style/colors
    Yep, pretty much the same here, there are very old games i like a lot because of this, much more important to me than graphics.
    In my opinion it is more important than graphics for making a game pleasant to the eye.

Graphics draw you in.
    Gameplay keeps you playing.

Dwarf Fortress is a brilliant game. But it is one that has a massive entry level simply due to the graphics.
    No Man's Sky is pretty and all. But there isn't much of a game there.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Deleted
    I expect the best from something I buy, both in gameplay, music, story and even ingame settings. Anyone expecting less is the reason we get crap games. This really is a stupid question.

If you are fine with just gameplay you are literally saying "hey, I know you can give me a 100% finished product, but I'm happy enough with 60%". Doesn't mean they all need to look super realistic. Just take WoW for example, in a sense it looks terrible if you would look at individual textures...but the world together looks pretty amazing because it follows a certain art style.

Another example would be Don't Starve, it looks amazing for what it is trying to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on type of game.

It's also easy to overlook a game if it looks bad, so you'll never find out if the gameplay or story is great, unless it gets rave reviews.

I find all, more or less equally important, but I can also play games like Rimworld, where graphics aren't important, and have a blast.

Aside from WoW, most of my fav games are classic MMO's that I still play (on private servers). Games like Dark Age of Camelot or Lineage 1, and to be honest they look like trash but I don't care... the gameplay is amazing to me.

Gameplay > Graphics

I have a really hard time playing old games because of the graphics. I haven't played Chrono Trigger yet because of it. Or Fallout 1/2. I've TRIED, I just can't get into it.

I was extremely turned off by Morrowind when I tried it a few years ago. A lot of that had to do with the accuracy system, too, though. Cardboard-animation-swinging my sword with nothing happening most of the time was frustrating. I might try it on PC with mods eventually.

My opinion has been changing over the years, but I generally put good gameplay over graphics. For example, I prefer Tales of Berseria over Final Fantasy XV, even though the latter has better graphics. ToB has good enough graphics for me to look past it. Games like Warcraft 3, Age of Empires, Front Mission 3, and Final Fantasy Tactics, I consider better games than most of the things coming out today.

I guess to TLDR; your question, I don't really know wtf I'm talking about anymore.

Generally speaking a good story and enjoyable, in-depth game mechanics are much more important to me than fancy graphics. The latter is just a bonus.

I'd say it depends. Gameplay is very important and i have no problems playing indy games with cheap graphics but sometimes the graphic is so old and bad i can't play stuff anymore.
    Best example is the starcraft remastered. The maps, the animations, everythings looks so old and dated and, quite frankly, bad so i couldn't play it today even though i liked it back when it was released. Same with old fps games.

Visuals of the game must not be repulsive.
    I know some games (like Eve Online or Borderlands or FFantasy series, for example) that have decently high quality graphics but are (for me) very repulsive in their style.
    Even if the developers put some ultra high quality 8k resolution textures those games will still be very ugly to me because their style is ugly.

But if gameplay is amazing enough then it can alleviate SOME of the discomfort caused by the awful visual style.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Hello champions, good to see you all.

I'm asking this question because I'm playing Prey.

Prey looks like a game from 2013-14. Although the Looking Glass technology is quite astonishing, other games from 2016-17 look way better than prey - but this doesn't bother me at all. The gameplay is freaking incredible, and it reminds me of the original Deus Ex (not HR/MD, the original from 2001), which is great as well.

And you?
    Once I would have said gameplay trumps graphics any day of the week. Nowadays I say it makes up for a lot in graphics. I called up Diablo II the other day and found it lousy-looking even though I keep merrily playing games 10-12 years older that that. I suppose it did not age well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I suppose it did not age well.
    No, it did not.
    I also play older games than D2, and have no problem with them, but as soon as i try to replay D2, and i see the char moving animation, it is like a big NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    No, it did not.
    I also play older games than D2, and have no problem with them, but as soon as i try to replay D2, and i see the char moving animation, it is like a big NO.
    Truth be told, D2 was behind the time on release day on graphics. I mean, come on, 800x600?

10+ Year Old Account
    If the gameplay is compelling enough I could play a game that looks like a PS1 game. To me graphics is just the icing on the cake. As long a game works the way it should and gameplay feels smooth and is fun, any game is playable to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    As someone who insists the best Final Fantasy ever is 6, I guess you can say I'm ok with subpar graphics if the rest of the game is good enough.
    My favorite FF as well! but to be fair the graphics of FF6 at it's time was not subpar it was very good for a 16 bit console era.

Yeah for me Gameplay is always the first thing when it comes to video games then close second is the story yeah graphics is the last thing I care for a video game but this is just my personal taste.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends.

If a game has aggressively bad graphics, it would probably be unplayable to me. I do have a hard time if I game is really ugly or the graphics are very poor quality. The gameplay would have to be extremely compelling right from the start for me to get hooked despite that.

But I don't require amazing graphics to like a game. I'm fine with very simplistic graphics when it makes sense for the game. I also have enough happy nostalgia for older games that I'm okay with the pixellated graphics or terrible animations. But those are also things I probably wouldn't accept from newer games, nor can I tolerate games that go for things like complex 3D graphics when they don't have the budget to pull it off well. (JUST DO SOMETHING ELSE.) So, yeah, graphics don't need to be fancy or jawdropping, it just needs to not be needlessly awful.

And in the converse, I've definitely gambled on some games because they had beautiful graphics even if I wasn't sure if they were any good. I figured even if they ended up bad, at least they'd be a visual treat in the meantime.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Gameplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Graphics.

Dragon Age Origins is a good example.
    Terrible graphics, but I absolutely loved the story and game play.
    Last edited by Tommy T; 2017-09-01 at 07:46 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Have always put much more emphasis on game play rather than graphics. I can live without the eye candy. I can't live with shitty game play mechanics.

that being said, if the game has aimed for great graphics, (especially if they've touted them) they should achieve it.

graphics that get in the way? that sacrificed other elements? That ruin the immersion? that dont suit the style? those are negatives.