Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why hasn't @Tennisace reported this? He usually loves to show the world how great Canada is....

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Why hasn't @Tennisace reported this? He usually loves to show the world how great Canada is....
    They only care if it's skinny people killing themselves off and letting the fat take over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    They only care if it's skinny people killing themselves off and letting the fat take over.
    Perhaps they care more about virtue signalling than trying to shame other countries instead of looking at their own country and their shameful actions. It's hard to thump your chest and shout 'We're number one' when you are looking at the cold hard facts.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Endus will shut this down in no time or somehow show that all if this is "fake news" This is showing a negative light on Canada.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can't fix what doesn't want to be fixed. That is the sad and cold reality of life on the First Nations reserves. They demanded autonomy and self governing with the funds that are given to them, billions annually that are controlled by the various tribe leaders. They cry racism when the group commissioned to investigate missing and murdered First Nations women came back with both a myriad of ineptitude due to the lack of cooperation by the First Nations people as well as the reality that the majority of perpetrators are primarily also First Nations. They were looking for an excuse to blame white people for their problems. They don't want to take responsibilities and hold their own tribe leaders accountable for gross misuse of the funding they are given, most of the reserves are dumps where people live in poverty because they collectively allow it to happen within their own tribes. Meanwhile there are some reserves where people actually live fairly comfortable and don't have poverty problems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Endus will shut this down in no time or somehow show that all if this is "fake news" This is showing a negative light on Canada.
    It's not fake news because it is a reality and fairly commonly reported on problem by the major news networks in Canada.

@Tennisace Your silence is deafening

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    ... my grandparents were literally abducted from the rez and enslaved in these "education camps" and forced to live with the whites...
    Mismanagement of education camps doesn't mean that they should not exist. Aboriginal children should be taken from their parents, by force, if necessary, and given a standard education so they could be competitive with the white population. Failure to do so leads to apartheid, which is not appropriate in the 21st century.

Who are indigenous people and natives in this context? Canada-born citizens? Native Americans?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Who are indigenous people and natives in this context? Canada-born citizens? Native Americans?
    Native Americans. Looks like they got a lot of the same tribes we have.

Back in the 1700's General Cornwallis would pay you money for each Native ear you brought him.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-09-01 at 11:09 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

This must be Russian propaganda.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    This is tragic. Canada has really dropped the ball in its treatment of its indigenous population. Where's all the pride and effort Canada goes to showing the world it can take in so many refugees? What does it say about a government that is more interested in virtue signaling and scoring points for taking in small numbers of refugees than helping the multitudes of Natives in their country?
    For true progressives it's Islam über alles when they aren't busy on LGBT marches. Everyone else can go f*ck themselves, apparently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret
    ...when they aren't busy on LGBT marches. Everyone else can go f*ck themselves, apparently
    While I disagree with a significant part of the quote that I've omitted, it comes down to better photo ops. This plays well to an audience that doesn't want to address uncomfortable human rights issues, be they suicide or gay pride...

Not so much this ...

Then again, the first picture puts a pretty gloss over the fact that Canada is still dragging its heels on Bill C-32.

Still.

Here's what the CBA said: https://www.cba.org/CMSPages/GetFile...0-8fb52adce7eb

The two issues both go to illustrate how it is easy to talk of human rights, but those same rights slip through the cracks when it comes to taking action instead of photos. In the case of Section 159, it has been more than 20 years since Halm v. Canada (Minister of Employment and Immigration) -- cited in the CBA letter I linked -- expressly held:

Section 159 does not have a constitutionally valid purpose. The alleged purpose could not be rationally connected to the impugned provision, the effects of which were not proportionate thereto.
    Source: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc...anlii3573.html

Photo ops are warm and fuzzy, but the realities behind them aren't.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Native Americans. Looks like they got a lot of the same tribes we have.

Back in the 1700's General Cornwallis would pay you money for each Native ear you brought him.
    What gets so willfully ignored is that the First Nations tribes, here in Canada, were scalping British colonists in the Halifax area, in particular the one's that Cornwallis was dealing with like the Mi'kmaq tribe. It's saddening that in 2017 they protest the Cornwallis statue in Halifax which merely recognizes his coming to the area but they treat their own ancestors like heroes even though they were every bit the barbaric savages that Cornwallis and his men were.

TBH Canada doing a great thing there, you cant have barbarian uneducated populations in 21 century country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel
    What gets so willfully ignored is that the First Nations tribes, here in Canada, were scalping British colonists in the Halifax area, in particular the one's that Cornwallis was dealing with like the Mi'kmaq tribe.
    My history of Canada is awfully rusty, but what was Cornwallis doing there and were there any existing treaties that were relevant to his presence?

If your answers run the direction that I'm thinking, I'd say they have a bit of a point in protesting a statue put up to "merely recognize[s] his coming to the area".

By unilaterally establishing Halifax, the British were violating earlier treaties with the Mi'kmaq (1726), which were signed after Father Rale's War.
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Halifax

The site he selected for Halifax was in Mi’kmaq moose hunting grounds, an area of religious pilgrimage, and at the head of several vital waterways.
    Source: http://thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en...rd-cornwallis/
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    What gets so willfully ignored is that the First Nations tribes, here in Canada, were scalping British colonists in the Halifax area, in particular the one's that Cornwallis was dealing with like the Mi'kmaq tribe. It's saddening that in 2017 they protest the Cornwallis statue in Halifax which merely recognizes his coming to the area but they treat their own ancestors like heroes even though they were every bit the barbaric savages that Cornwallis and his men were.
    You are forgetting that its [the current year] and only white men can be evil. An easy mistake to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You can't fix what doesn't want to be fixed. That is the sad and cold reality of life on the First Nations reserves. They demanded autonomy and self governing with the funds that are given to them, billions annually that are controlled by the various tribe leaders. They cry racism when the group commissioned to investigate missing and murdered First Nations women came back with both a myriad of ineptitude due to the lack of cooperation by the First Nations people as well as the reality that the majority of perpetrators are primarily also First Nations. They were looking for an excuse to blame white people for their problems. They don't want to take responsibilities and hold their own tribe leaders accountable for gross misuse of the funding they are given, most of the reserves are dumps where people live in poverty because they collectively allow it to happen within their own tribes. Meanwhile there are some reserves where people actually live fairly comfortable and don't have poverty problems.
    Very much this. Hate to say it, but when you set yourself up as some kind of Independent Empire inside another country, you don't get to blame that country when you are responsible for your own problems. Native leaders living in huge mansions, taking month long luxury vacations, and sitting on huge fortunes while their "tribe" lives in squalor. Native communities that would rather go practically full isolationist than accept any kind of effort to integrate into the rest of society, all in the name of "preserving their culture".

Sorry, but Canada should not be responsible for fixing their problems, when their problems are almost entirely due to their own internal mismanagement and cultural protectionism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Therapy can help.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Therapy can help.
    Good luck getting them into therapy when most of the endangered communities would rather let their kids rot in said community than risk losing them to the white man by letting them out of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Good luck getting them into therapy when most of the endangered communities would rather let their kids rot in said community than risk losing them to the white man by letting them out of the community.
    As I said before, the last residential school closed in 1994. For decades, they took native kids from their parents, sent them to schools far away, made it hard for parents to visit them, and on top of that, hundreds of thousands were abused, raped, or died. All in an effort to "civilize" them.

If that had happened to my parents or grandparents, you'd bet your ass I wouldn't let white men take my kids.