Thread: Vanilla Content

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Vanilla Content

I see constant posts about how current wow lacks content. Or it's done in 1 day etc etc.

Can someone please explain to me how the content that was so over flowing during the early wow days @ max level? Did people consider leveling from 1-60 for 2-3 months content? Did people not play vanilla/TBC? Maybe they had different experiences than me.

This is what you did @ level 60, Run dungeons (took forever) Farm mats (took forever) Raid 1 difficulty only on a week long lockout (took forever) PvP (some of it took forever) There was no story....most the quests were absurd and all over the world with no linear progression of story telling it was awful...I'm confused.

Vanilla & TBC had 0 new content throughout the expansion minus the sunwell staging area in TBC & new raids soooooo. idk. nothing that hails in comparison with argus...or isle of thunder..idk people are crazy...or am I crazy?

Thanks.

Leveling was the content. It took forever to level. When you hit 60 it meant something.

Also, end game content now is a million times better than vanilla WoW. If they burn through current content, thats their problem, and it is more a sign of the times. People have become less patient now and are more concerned with the destination and not the journey.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Players are more fooled by reputation and currency-based gates than time-based ones, for oen thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by donjn View Post
    Leveling was the content. It took forever to level. When you hit 60 it meant something.
    Hah, for me it meant reroll because there was just about nothing for me (solo casual at the time) to do at max level.

Yeah I get that, I had a 60 when it was relevant too. But this post is more so about max level content. This wasn't AS big of a thing during TBC, and leveling, also I think we can all agree was not the best experience quest wise during those times. Let's be real if blizzard released the steaming pile of shit that was vanilla questing now people would be up in arms.

Quote Originally Posted by seventysix View Post
    Yeah I get that, I had a 60 when it was relevant too. But this post is more so about max level content. This wasn't AS big of a thing during TBC, and leveling, also I think we can all agree was not the best experience quest wise during those times. Let's be real if blizzard released the steaming pile of shit that was vanilla questing now people would be up in arms.
    yeah I followed up with this:

Also, end game content now is a million times better than vanilla WoW. If they burn through current content, thats their problem, and it is more a sign of the times. People have become less patient now and are more concerned with the destination and not the journey.

The main difference was that the gearing was much MUCH slower and you needed that gear to even play the next tier so that motivated you in keep doing the raid every week. Often enough your entire raid team wasn't even ready when the next tier came out so you had to keep farming gear in order to progress, encounters were much more tightly tuned back then.

- - - Updated - - -

it is more a sign of the times. People have become less patient now and are more concerned with the destination and not the journey.
    So depressing to read

yeah I followed up with this:

Agreed, but this is not a nostalgia thread so I'll stay on topic, I personally think the amount and speed of content brought with legion is very very good, first expansion I've actually stayed subbed for it's entirety.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildpantz View Post
    Resubbed tanked HC tomb unlocked argus all story done. Now what i want to like this game but 1/3 of a year and this is all they managed to make.
    This was quoted from another thread, and is exactly what I'm talking about. I can't believe it if this guy is not trolling. It's one of many.

Progress in vanilla was a lot slower then it is today, and the 1-60 leveling was considered content as it was actually meaningful. Most of the players didn't even get to grind at max level, let alone raid the latest raids like AQ40 and Naxx. This also means that there was always something to look for when you wanted to gear up your character. It also helps that raids don't get burned out so easily by giving them 4 difficulties, instead they just made more raids with their own difficulties.

It was 2004/5/6/7. The game was new, weird, and novel. Everyone was wide eyed and bushy tailed and shit. Now it's been around for longer than many players have been old enough to play it.

Things change, people change, expectations get... weird.

This is what you did @ level 60, Run dungeons (took forever) Farm mats (took forever) Raid 1 difficulty only on a week long lockout (took forever) PvP (some of it took forever) There was no story....most the quests were absurd and all over the world with no linear progression of story telling it was awful...I'm confused.
    You just described here why I and so many others still love vanilla WoW.

People have different tastes, period.

Vanilla WoW was the first MMORPG for many so the whole concept was new to many. Hence why so many got hooked. I got bitten by the bug in Everquest so I kinda knew what it was. But WoW did it more accessible than Everquest. Believe it or not many called vanilla WoW casual.

I see constant posts about how current wow lacks content. Or it's done in 1 day etc etc.

Can someone please explain to me how the content that was so over flowing during the early wow days @ max level? Did people consider leveling from 1-60 for 2-3 months content? Did people not play vanilla/TBC? Maybe they had different experiences than me.

Vanilla & TBC had 0 new content throughout the expansion minus the sunwell staging area in TBC & new raids soooooo. idk. nothing that hails in comparison with argus...or isle of thunder..idk people are crazy...or am I crazy?

Thanks.
    Nostalrius calls, they want to show you the almost 2mill active players they used to have before bliiz took them down.

Doing stuff in Vanilla/TBC actually felt meaningful.
    I remember spending months trying to level my warlock up to 70. Quests weren't linear and that was part of the fun. You had to walk and explore every corner of the map, visit diferent zones to finish all your quests, and the rewards actually meant something. I remember doing that quest for palladins to get a blue hammer. Being alliance we had to visit shadowfang keep and scarlet monastery (iirc), places that were half a continent away, and finally getting that felt SO reawarding. I used that hammer for around 20 levels. Same for warlock reaper. Not to mention how hard it was to get purples back in the day. When you finally got those you felt amazing.
    Also professions were actually used for something.

Nowadays it's just faceroll to all the available content and waiting for a time gate to do it again. Not to mention that you have to pray the RNG god to give you something useful and not wasting your legendary roll on a crap belt that nobody wants (remember how people got 3 legendaries on week one, and some got one after months?). We have nothing specific to farm, no place to go, no objectives, nothing. Just faceroll your way into a heroic/mythic/raid and hope you get a titanforged with the right stats. You didn't get it? Well, keep doing nothing specific until you get it. Zones? yeah, just follow the path and kill everything, the quests don't get you 10 meters away from the quest givers anyways. Oh and your professions? just useful for toys.

I'm not saying Old wow was perfect, but it was better, more rewarding you actually saw progress on yourself, you felt attached to your character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    "Would it not be swell if Jaina non-canonically created frostmourne?"

What does that even mean? I mean, it would also be cool if Obama created the Frostmourne, non-canonically.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Malfurion and Sylvanas about to have the most baller game of Plants vs Zombies though.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shiava View Post
    Nostalrius calls, they want to show you the almost 2mill active players they used to have before bliiz took them down.
    I played on Nost, try ~50k at its peak, and probably 200k over its entire life span of individual accounts. While that's amazing for a private server, its not 2M lol.

Also, the casual player who wants vanilla back so bad is the reason we dont have vanilla/TBC like content, because they love WotLK sooo much, that Blizz/Activision kept pushing more and more in that direction.

Well, WoW was one of the first casual and mainstream MMORPGs on the market, many people didn't know shit about this genre.

WoW was the first MMORPG for many people, they didn't know anything about raiding, end game content and other stuff, thus levelling was the content for them because that's what they got used to doing in RPGs like Morrowind.

But many of those who came from other MMORPGs rushed to max level ASAP. Unlike what people like to say, you could reach lvl60 within 3-4 weeks w/o no-lifing if you weren't wasting fuckton of time. Power levellers were hitting lvl60 in a week.

Nowadays people are more... prepared (ba-dum-tss), well, gamers are accustomed to this genre, they know what to expect from an MMORPG. If back then everyone had the same mentality, the same amount of information as we have now, your average Joe would hit level 60 within few weeks and then would start bitching that there's nothing interesting to do, a.k.a. no content.

To me i honestly didnt even know max content was a thing cause it literally took me months to level up and the reason was

A. The quest text told you nothing it never told you where mobs you had to kill was so you was going all over the map finding the right mobs. I literally had pages and pages of co ordinates from thottbot telling me where i would need to go.

B. Quests would take you from one end of the continent to the other and most of the time just for a few xp. I remember quest chains telling me to go to silverpine from the barrens and vice versa. I prolly spent more time on that zepplin than doing anything else!

When i reached max level i honestly didnt know what to do next cause there was no such thing as dungeon finder or LFR

Yeah, no..

P.S. Removed header to avoid infractions

Agreed, but this is not a nostalgia thread so I'll stay on topic, I personally think the amount and speed of content brought with legion is very very good, first expansion I've actually stayed subbed for it's entirety.

- - - Updated - - -

This was quoted from another thread, and is exactly what I'm talking about. I can't believe it if this guy is not trolling. It's one of many.
    Sorry am not biased here, but hat the exact same issue as the other poster described.

I played 3 weeks and thats it, cleared HC and done the argus part. I don't play alts so there is nothing for me to do in the game itself.

I was a very hardcore vanilla player, playing most of the day. When you tell me that vanilla had no content I CRINGE. Seriously... I mean lol. You clearly never played that game when it was current. 1st of all it had a COMMUNITY! The most important part of wow that is lost.

Content? you must be joking yes? azeroth was your content really, even at a later time when you were all geared up from AQ40 for example you'd still go run ZG BWL MC etc, that took time. PVP? amazing, revolving around your own server and later a bg that you knew who you are queing against.

You are a joker though, there is no way on earth people that actually played vanilla and tbc would rate legion over, unbelivable and not so true. But again its mmo-c here apparently in mmo-c 90% played in vanilla and tbc, yet they are still 17 y/o so they must have been playing when they were 8 or something lol.

Deleted

Thanks.
    Took me about 6 months to get from 0-60 Tauren druid 2004. Was the best gaming experience I ever had (been gaming since 1980), met so many people, joined teams. When you go to to the end you worked on profs, prepared for raids, stuck into pvp, go out into to the world for adventure or battles. The world felt alive and dangerous. i would update an armor piece or weapon sometimes every 6 months.

It didn't need to end but for those of us that loved it, we felt a rug under our feet with TBC. But it felt like it was made as labor of love as original Wow as did Wotlk after that. About half way into Wotlk they killed the game we loved and it became what we see now, much like Season 7 of GOT, sense of too small, too fast, too much mess. But Blizzard don't care. I looked forward to every expansion and queued at midnight for TBC and WOTLK. Now I don't care.

Only thing that would get me back in (and hundeds of friends all over Europe) - you know it, everyone does, Wow2 - new engine, same initial D&D we had with Wow. Adventure. Reward. Danger. Another world to live in.

Thanks.
    Vanilla had a lot of content releases.

BWL came in a patch, ZG, AQ40, Naxx.... The thing was that once you hit level 60 you had to start out with Molten Core/ONY, and progress up the raid ladder. There were no catch up mechanics like we have now. So no matter when you started playing WoW back in Vanilla, there was content to keep you busy -- considering over 99% of the playerbase did not finish Naxx.

Is excluding content a good thing? In my opinion -- both yes and no. I think the lack of "catch up" mechanics kept players more busy overall, which meant people were less bored. I see complaints now that players return to WoW, and within a week or two they're caught up and clearing the current raid content -- then they're bored again.

End game content was good in Vanilla, but it was much harder, and more exclusive to a certain playerbase.

That being said there were more casual guilds that did MC/Ony/ZG/AQ20, so not everyone was excluded from raiding. Just not everyone was able to clear AQ40/naxx.

Wow in Vanilla and WoW today are 2 different beasts. They have their pro's and con's. WoW today is much more casual oriented, that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    Took me about 6 months to get from 0-60 Tauren druid 2004. Was the best gaming experience I ever had (been gaming since 1980), met so many people, joined teams. When you go to to the end you worked on profs, prepared for raids, stuck into pvp, go out into to the world for adventure or battles. The world felt alive and dangerous. i would update an armor piece or weapon sometimes every 6 months.

It didn't need to end but for those of us that loved it, we felt a rug under our feet with TBC. But it felt like it was made as labor of love as original Wow as did Wotlk after that. About half way into Wotlk they killed the game we loved and it became what we see now, much like Season 7 of GOT, sense of too small, too fast, too much mess. But Blizzard don't care. I looked forward to every expansion and queued at midnight for TBC and WOTLK. Now I don't care.

Only thing that would get me back in (and hundeds of friends all over Europe) - you know it, everyone does, Wow2 - new engine, same initial D&D we had with Wow. Adventure. Reward. Danger. Another world to live in.
    Yeah it took a while to hit 60, that was for sure. Quests were hard (Elites!!!) and there were some pretty memorable social experiences back in Vanilla. I think part of the reason was the Open World was much more dangerous, and you were crazy to try and tackle it by yourself. Vanilla introduced "difficult" content to encourage players to group up and be social.

WoW Today -- the content is tuned around a player in grey gear being able to go afk auto-attacking and still win. No reason to group up or be social.
    Last edited by Frosteye; 2017-08-31 at 09:00 PM.

7+ Year Old Account

Doing stuff in Vanilla/TBC actually felt meaningful.
    I remember spending months trying to level my warlock up to 70. Quests weren't linear and that was part of the fun. You had to walk and explore every corner of the map, visit diferent zones to finish all your quests, and the rewards actually meant something. I remember doing that quest for palladins to get a blue hammer. Being alliance we had to visit shadowfang keep and scarlet monastery (iirc), places that were half a continent away, and finally getting that felt SO reawarding. I used that hammer for around 20 levels. Same for warlock reaper. Not to mention how hard it was to get purples back in the day. When you finally got those you felt amazing.
    Also professions were actually used for something.

Nowadays it's just faceroll to all the available content and waiting for a time gate to do it again. Not to mention that you have to pray the RNG god to give you something useful and not wasting your legendary roll on a crap belt that nobody wants (remember how people got 3 legendaries on week one, and some got one after months?). We have nothing specific to farm, no place to go, no objectives, nothing. Just faceroll your way into a heroic/mythic/raid and hope you get a titanforged with the right stats. You didn't get it? Well, keep doing nothing specific until you get it. Zones? yeah, just follow the path and kill everything, the quests don't get you 10 meters away from the quest givers anyways. Oh and your professions? just useful for toys.

I'm not saying Old wow was perfect, but it was better, more rewarding you actually saw progress on yourself, you felt attached to your character.
    ive played nostalrus server. wanna know what draws teh most people there? hint its not that its vanilla wow. its that its free wow. i did nostalrus dalaran and warmane while i was still subbed as something to do between dailies and stuff when i wasnt feeling like raiding,. the biggest thing that makes people do that is that it is free. thats all. its a free server. and most of them are bugged as hell. ooooo and one more thing. there forums page looks a lot like mmoc. even on teh vanilla server people complaining that it isnt streamlined like retail. it takes forever to level. there is no engame content after x30 clears of OL Naxx MC etc. so this isnt valid at all.

tldr some pople just like to complain.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”