Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Jobs and resumes, do they matter?

Several months back, I was looking for a job and nearly everyone required a resume and or cover letter to be submitted. I did so, but I saw a trend. Any job interview I had always had the same issue, it failed because of details that I had put on my resume that were obviously never read. For example, Had one job interview where they really wanted me due to my experience in that field. They were ready to offer me a job until I got my chance to ask what they hours were. That is when they told me it would be into the late evening. Now, my resume that I had submitted stated my hours of availability being early morning / early afternoon. The interviewer got angry at finding out I wasn't available at that times and that was that.

It wasn't an isolated incident either that key facts like that were seemingly ignored on my resume. I also had more then a few interviews I would show up for that would have me fill out an entire new application, with information a resume would typically have, such as previous work history.

All of this got me wondering, do resume matter even? No one seems to read them but everyone loves to request them. What are your thoughts on them?
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    I got my current job because of my resume. I put my resume on Indeed.com for a totally irrelevant job, got contacted by a recruiter a few months later. Had an interview and the interviewer obviously read my resume according to the questions he asked.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I got my current job because of my resume. I put my resume on Indeed.com for a totally irrelevant job, got contacted by a recruiter a few months later. Had an interview and the interviewer obviously read my resume according to the questions he asked.
    I had a similar thing happen to me actually. Contacted because of my resume, had to decline the job because they didn't read the availability portion. indeed is where I put out most job applications that needed a resume.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I had an interview last month and the employer didn't have my resume and I doubt she looked at it. Luckily I carry extra copies with me when I go into job interviews.

No I didn't get the job.

Never heard of hours of availability put on resume. Application, sure. Resume? Wat.

Quote Originally Posted by mreed2 View Post
    Never heard of hours of availability put on resume. Application, sure. Resume? Wat.
    My resume has a section on it for additional information, such as what I am looking for in a schedule and my hours of availability, as well as listing the best way to contact me and when, and skills. Its on the bottom of my resume.

That is because, like I mentioned, more then a few wanted a resume submitted as your application. So putting hours of availability and days available is something good to know if you are a match for what they need. If they read it that is.

It clearly depends on the job. Lots of high end jobs are leaning towards CVs now instead of Resumes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It clearly depends on the job. Lots of high end jobs are leaning towards CVs now instead of Resumes as well.
    I stopped bothering with those since they were typically optional and, like resumes, never read in my experience. Maybe its just the job levels that I was applying at, or the field.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on this, it just depends on the job and hiring department. I have had instances of an interviewer contradicting info that was in my resume. My guess was they didn't look closely, but if they were interviewing a ton of people maybe they all ran together and the interviewer was confused.

It's odd because I would think if a position had unusual hours, it would be explicitly stated on the job listing. Did you see anything like that before applying?

I've dealt with a fair amount of resumes in my life, and I don't think that placing your preferred work hours on one is a good way to start. It already puts you in a negative light, because an employer sees it as what you won't do. Of course, any good job listing should have the hours worked, so the issue should never come up. I recommend taking that off of your resume, and dealing with that on the job application.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    -- snip --
    This has to be an industry specific issue. What job field are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    It's odd because I would think if a position had unusual hours, it would be explicitly stated on the job listing. Did you see anything like that before applying?
    They had advertised an early afternoon position, but the real position was late afternoon / evening position. So I had applied for one type, and they only had a different one, and didn't bother to check my resume before calling me in. Funny thing was, they got mad at me and said that I should have mentioned that I couldn't work until 2am.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    This has to be an industry specific issue. What job field are you in?
    Sadly, it wasn't an industry specific one. I had it in fast food, gas station attendant, a pest control place and an industrial maintenance place that fixed the machines at restaurants that was willing to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    I had an interview last month and the employer didn't have my resume and I doubt she looked at it. Luckily I carry extra copies with me when I go into job interviews.

No I didn't get the job.
    Sounds like one of those ones where they are required to advertise the job publicly and interview people to look legit, but really they have the hire they want lined up already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    They had advertised an early afternoon position, but the real position was late afternoon / evening position. So I had applied for one type, and they only had a different one, and didn't bother to check my resume before calling me in. Funny thing was, they got mad at me and said that I should have mentioned that I couldn't work until 2am.
    This is not your fault, nor does it mean resumes are flawed or useless. It's just that the person doing the hiring at that company being dumb.

The reality is that most HR plebs read as far as your name, if you are lucky what you apply to and might check if you actually have the required degree/education. Everything else is just fluff that stops them from playing agry birds or solitaire..

7+ Year Old Account
    I think it varies a bit depending on where you're applying to. Back when I tried to get my first job, if it was an entry position, they didn't care about my resume. When I started working in the graphic design field my resume meant nothing compared to my portfolio.

Now I'm just starting as a physician, and CVs/Resumes/RL are everything as far as I'm aware.

Deleted
    I got an interview because of my resume, I got the job because of my interview.

I'd say they still matter, and your incidents were just exceptions to the rule.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How would you guys deal with employment gaps on your resume??
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    No they don't matter, but if people make up in their minds they do, they are great tool to use to discriminate against who you want.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    They matter when you apply for work that actually requires knowledge, skills and experience.

They don't matter much for jobs that anyone can do. Then they will only look at your age and name.