Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Netherlight Crucible traits shadow damage and unholy mastery

Hello,
    anyone tested on PTR if all the shadow damage traits scale with unholy mastery?
    Thanks

They only scale with Crit as in they can crit but they don't scale from mastery or vers or the like

Can you imagine the absolute hilarity that would ensue if they did scale with unholy mastery?

Deleted
    But shouldnt it scale with mastery?

If it scaled with our Mastery the crucible would be WAAAAY OP for us. Stupid way to off-set the balance of the classes.
    That would mean that they would have to nerf damage on other places. Better to keep class balance inside the classes and keep external or shared systems balanced

Deleted
    shadow priests would have the same conversation

Quote Originally Posted by exeetor View Post
    Better to keep class balance inside the classes and keep external or shared systems balanced
    I totally agree that class balance should be done inside the classes, but shadow damage abilities not scaling with mastery is inconsistent and nonsensical. What they should have done is dropped crucible base damage values to compensate for Unholy DK and Shadow priest mastery.

My desire for OP-ness is sad, but, doing it any other way would be too much work. Maybe they should have called it Void Damage to get around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    Can you imagine the absolute hilarity that would ensue if they did scale with unholy mastery?
    Why? I bet it scales with the ridiculous warrior/rogue damage buffs/100% crit thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    Why? I bet it scales with the ridiculous warrior/rogue damage buffs/100% crit thing.
    Well yes as I said it scales with crit and that is all. Meaning, it can crit and that's the only "scaling" it has with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    I totally agree that class balance should be done inside the classes, but shadow damage abilities not scaling with mastery is inconsistent and nonsensical. What they should have done is dropped crucible base damage values to compensate for Unholy DK and Shadow priest mastery.
    Not really. While I can see the consistency aspect, it would also mean that they'd have to assume a level of mastery that everyone is supposed to have. Basing such things around assumptions will just lead to issues down the line when people don't meet those by having achieved less or more than that. That's just a terrible way to balance things.

The abilities aren't that powerful, so it wouldn't matter. Just baseline it at itemlvl 900 mastery and if people get better gear big whoop, they get another 300dps or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Well yes as I said it scales with crit and that is all. Meaning, it can crit and that's the only "scaling" it has with it.
    Its unconfirmed, so far as I can tell, if fury will gain the crit damage modifier from Battle Cry. If so, it means not only will they gain far more from the base weapon ilvl than either DK spec, but they will gain far more from the Crucible effect as well.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    They only scale with Crit as in they can crit but they don't scale from mastery or vers or the like
    Did you test this on PTR? Scaling with crit but not vers seems pretty counterintuitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Draught of Souls was the same, it is somewhat unreasonable to expect it to scale on that note however i do find classes that utilize high crit percentages or even use cd's that bump it to a sure thing should have an adjusted crit multiplier, the crit dmg in other words.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would be dumb if it didn't, and honestly it's dumb if they don't individually balance the traits depending on specs.

I don't play unholy all the time, but I found it odd that they changed DoS initially back in Nighthold, referencing unholy DKs because their mastery scales the damage. Which was hilarious at the time considering warriors and rogues could boost the damage with damage multipliers in addition to making it crit for the entire duration.

They actually make a whole lot of cool trinkets and trait effects in the expansion, but really only allow Rogues/Warriors to truly take advantage of them, leaving most of the trinkets fairly underwhelming for any of the other melee specs.

I'd assume the second tier of choices are decent DPS gains, given that one of the options is 650 mastery with avoidance, while the other is 650 haste with speed. One would expect given their dual nature that that they are tuned a bit lower for pure DPS gain. Our hunter was simming ~2.3% damage increase for picking the 650 mastery/avoidance option, so it's not like the second tier is super minor (especially when you get 3 of them across your relics).

Deleted
    As it is right now, the 650 mastery+avoidance and 650 haste+speed traits are far above most of the other traits. Even if the shadow traits scaled with mastery, most of them would still be weaker than the Master of Shadows 650 mastery for dps, and you get a lot of survivability from the avoidance on top of that. They might still tweak some values before it goes live, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Draught of Souls was the same, it is somewhat unreasonable to expect it to scale on that note however i do find classes that utilize high crit percentages or even use cd's that bump it to a sure thing should have an adjusted crit multiplier, the crit dmg in other words.
    That would destroy blizzards way to put one of the warrior specs at the top 3 in every patch though, we can't have that, can we?

It scales with Crit and all bonus damage modifiers outside of Unholy mastery or any classess mastery for that matter

for example it does 5% bonus dmg if standing in DnD while using the lanalthel legendary ring, along with scaling with warrior 100% crit cooldown and roll the bones crit buff, so it technically does not scale with class masteries but any other bonus dmg modifier it dips into.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    That would destroy blizzards way to put one of the warrior specs at the top 3 in every patch though, we can't have that, can we?
    Argus will be the same. Trinkets with on use effects they can perfectly sync for 10m aoe dps... low hps adds will die so fast... if you have a warrior.