Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

Finland's police patrols will now all carry MP5s.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9810149
    http://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/2017...64831_u0.shtml

Original source: STT

Google translation:
    Quote Originally Posted by Google Translate
    The police intend to equip all parties with machine guns

According to police inspector Ari Alanen, a more spectacular weaponry does not seek a tougher image.

The police are planning to equip all police cops on the ground with MP5 gun guns. Along with machine guns, traditional weapons, Glock and Walther branded pistols would still be in use.

According to police inspector Ari Alanen, police police could use a machine gun in situations where the use of a weapon is still allowed, but for example the distance to the target is long. In his view, a more impressive weaponry does not seek a tougher image.

- The police do not want to give a militaristic impression outward, but wants to be an easily accessible, reliable authority for the people.

MP5 guns have so far been in use, among other things, with a standby unit with the Karhu group, whose armament is also heavier than the basic pair and uses, for example, rifle caliber weapons.

According to Alan, the threat of terrorism increases the preparedness pressures.

- Keep track of what's happening in the environment. More consideration is given to the kind of use of force and protective equipment.

The police patrols will still carry their sidearms in addition to the MP5s. The Finnish equivalent of SWAT, the Karhu-ryhmä ("bear team") has carried MP5s already, but now after this change, every "regular beat cop" will have an MP5, as well. The Finnish Police Superintendent Ari Alanen says that the increased threat of terrorism is adding pressure to the police to be more prepared.

Not sure what to think about this. Is a more militarized police force the direction more European countries will head towards because of increased terror attacks? And, if so, will this trend carry over the Atlantic to the US?
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2017-09-01 at 03:53 AM.

I'm fine with that personally. But that's because Finnish police don't have the reputation of emptying a magazine in unarmed peoples faces, the moment they fail to follow conflicting orders under 3 nanoseconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9810149
    http://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/2017...64831_u0.shtml

Original source: STT

Google translation:

The police patrols will still carry their sidearms in addition to the MP5s. The Finnish equivalent of SWAT, the Karhu-ryhmä ("bear team") has carried MP5s already, but now after this change, every "regular beat cop" will have an MP5, as well. The Finnish Police Superintendent Ari Alanen says that the increased threat of terrorism is adding pressure to the police to be more prepared.

Not sure what to think about this. Is a more militarized police force the direction more European countries will head towards because of increased terror attacks? And, if so, will this trend carry over the Atlantic to the US?
    The MP-5 has long been associated with counterterrorism, but not general military use. Its not like the are AK-47s.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure all patrols already carried a single MP5 in patrol car, so they are just doubling that now?

MP5? The gun that's basically an automatic pistol? Not really an escalation really.

Call me when they get ARs with AP rounds and APCs' then we'll talk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebuddy View Post
    MP5? The gun that's basically an automatic pistol? Not really an escalation really.

Too bad we don't really need that here because in 99% of the cases the police can assume that the subject isn't carrying half a military base with them like in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I'm fine with that personally. But that's because Finnish police don't have the reputation of emptying a magazine in unarmed peoples faces, the moment they fail to follow conflicting orders under 3 nanoseconds.
    being sarcastic doesnt change the mountains of videos i see of fucking idiots here not following clear instructions over and over and over, infact i can count on 2 hands the amount of videos iv seen where a shooting occurred becuase someone was given conflicting instructions, but as usual with people here, exagerate more.

- - - Updated - - -

do explain to me why the police cant have an apc? i see you people throw it around yet no ones told me why they cant have it aside from uneducated people calling them tanks. And without googling tell me what an AP round is please.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The MP-5 has long been associated with counterterrorism, but not general military use. Its not like the are AK-47s.....
    its a lost cause, any effort by cops to protect themselves or others is considered more military, meanwhile we have idiot citizens who refuse to comply with said cops over simple instructions.

What would be the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    What would be the point?
    so he can cry cus they look like the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    so he can cry cus they look like the military.
    Makes no sense to carry these kinds of weapons in this situation so, yes, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Makes no sense to carry these kinds of weapons in this situation so, yes, you're probably right.
    Well since i cant remember the last time i saw a cop carrying an assault rifle, or armor piercing rounds aside from snipers. And i see zero wrong with an apc.

I wouldn't mind that.

MP5 uses the same caliber as a pistol, nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Bryntrollian; 2017-09-01 at 08:32 AM.

It's still a shoulder-braced weapon with a 30 bullet clip and far longer barrel than a regular handgun so all else being equal it does put a perp with a pistol in a pretty big disadvantage.

That's wrong. The lowest-ranking police officers have no business having a weapon capable of burst fire.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    MP5 uses the same caliber as a pistol, nothing to see here.
    Sure. The thing is though, I think it has been proven again and again that people who use pistols to shoot can't hit anything with their pistols. Story after story after story after story about police who empty their magazines and barely hit their target with a single bullet. Barely.

It's a completely different story with an SMG that has a stock and is fired with both hands as a rifle. Also, that's one of the reasons the Superintendent gives; the SMG would be used in situations where distance to the target is too long. Oh, and how long is too long for a pistol? Anything beyond arms length basically. Feel free to go to a range and shoot at a target at any distance, and then add an extremely stressful situation, moving target, be out of breath, pulse racing. See how you do then.

However accurate you are, I can guarantee you will do better with an SMG.

Most people in Europe are used to this kind of police officer:

And think it's very sad if we're now seeing more of this kind of police officers:

Some feel safer, and some feel that it might cause more harm than good. A sad development nonetheless.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    How does that prevent things like that happening? Even if cops were patrolling in tanks, it doesn't prevent some psycho from stabbing.
    Cops showing up with machineguns just makes regular citizens scared.

I ain't approaching a cop with a machinegun, even if I needed help.

Very nice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    If you gave the right to bear arms to every citizens and have conceal carry laws in place they would prob act the same as american police.