• No, I am not a fan of BBC here is why

35 34.31%
  • Just BBC World News

5 4.90%
  • Other (Comment below)

14 13.73%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    CNN stages a "dramatic rescue" of a man in Texas floods

Hey Dude! wait right there while I put on my rescue pants and get my boots, ok?
    Quick, hair and makeup,… How’s our lighting? ..ok and camera angles… we good? OK, annnd… “ACTION” !

sorry cant post video and pictures right now

Deleted
    The Modern BBC is a pathetic waste of resources from the public in order to push their regressive stupid shows that have all together failed to stand up to their earlier work.

It just shows when you try and force a narrative, it usually ruins your programming.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    It's a licence fee, not a tax. That's why it's called a TV Licence fee.
    Seriously, it is a tax. It's not a fee for a service, otherwise you could use a TV and just not watch the BBC. It's also not a real license because it's not like they give you a test to ensure you can safely use a TV. It's a way of funding a public service enforced by the government.

A television licence or broadcast receiving licence is an official record of payment required in many countries for the reception of television broadcasts, or the possession of a television set where some broadcasts are funded in full or in part by the licence fee paid. The licence is sometimes also required to own a radio or receive radio broadcasts. A TV licence is therefore effectively a hypothecated tax for the purpose of funding public broadcasting, thus allowing public broadcasters to transmit television programmes without, or with only supplemental, funding from radio and television advertisements.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    State funded tv is always a big no-no in my book, because sooner or later it will become a propaganda machine for the political party in power.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Seriously, it is a tax. It's not a fee for a service, otherwise you could use a TV and just not watch the BBC. It's also not a real license because it's not like they give you a test to ensure you can safely use a TV. It's a way of funding a public service enforced by the government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence
    In Romania we have the same tax, but it's applied to your electricity bill. Companies get it by default as well, if set localtion has electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    State funded tv is always a big no-no in my book, because sooner or later it will become a propaganda machine for the political party in power.
    I mean, yes and no? In some countries that definitely happens, but on the other hand our local ABC (long lost cousin of the BBC) is notoriously independent, to the point that previous governments publicly brawled with it. I think the BBC is pretty solid too.

There is a certain amount of mandated separation between those outlets and their respective governments though. I'm not sure exactly how that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    If you do not like US style news, you can make the choice not to buy their newspapers, not to visit their websites or give them any money.

In the UK, if you do not want to see BBC news on TV and don't want to pay then that is a criminal offence and you will be prosecuted. How is that right?
    That is only if you watch live TV, so if you have a SKY/Virgin sub for TV and dont pay for a TV license you would need to get one. Same for if you just use digital TV for live TV services etc. You can own a TV and use it for your console/PC Netflix or what ever as long as its not live TV broadcasts (and no bbc iplayer too).

If you watch Netflix or other on demand services no need for a TV license. If a TV license person comes over you can show them that there is no live TV in action or you can tell them to bugger off as you dont need a license and they have no legal right to enter.
    Last edited by khalltusk; 2017-09-01 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForLoveOfMe View Post
    The BBC is the world's oldest national broadcaster and 94 years after its formation it is broadcasting things such this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhMBXySJ1U

... so I guess it will be later that it becomes a propaganda machine for the political party in power.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like their documentaries like "Galapagos" and "Planet Earth."

10+ Year Old Account
    They still produce some bloody good fiction.

It's just a shame the news service is riddled with bias and they are obsessed with "diversity" and "equality". When you start advertising jobs, excluding people from certain races from applying, you know you're taking the enforcement of "diversity" too far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    The BBC is already an echo chamber. Where have you been?
    Maybe because you disagree with it but i find most UK politics rather uninteresting and mostly filled with people nowadays in it to score easy points, Brexit talks say it all really. When i did watch it i found things like hard talk and such informative shows made to be critical to be rather critical. As for regular news never watch that and i don't see it bleeding into other entertainment programs.

Where as with a commercial station it would and you would have to deal with quite a lot of adds and political adds also when it's that time again to go vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn the Second View Post
    When you start advertising jobs, excluding people from certain races from applying, you know you're taking the enforcement of "diversity" too far.
    Jobs who's salaries are paid for by the tax payer no less

Quote Originally Posted by Oneer View Post
    Jobs who's salaries are paid for by the tax payer no less
    You mean by people who pay for the license fee?

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    There was a very tall, very buff African American at our workplace I was good friends with. When we were talking about TV shows, BBC came up. I immediately turned to him and said "FYI, They mean the British Broadcasting Corporation".

Everybody around us just died laughing! :P
    You made a racist joke. You and your colleagues should be ashamed.

I don't look at their coverage of national news (not British) but I do look at their world news coverage, they're pretty thorough and close to being neutral on most matters.

Actually, I like big, brown beavers. I like to pet it, rub it the right way, lick it, and maybe even flick it.