Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    No, because the farm subsidies and Corn syrup lobby (The Corn Refiners Association) is too large. The Corn Syrup lobby is actually working on renaming it to "Corn Sugar":

A New Name for High-Fructose Corn Syrup
    https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...rn-syrup/?_r=0
    That's just plain ridiculous. Why subsidize stuff that's causing one of the major health issues in your country? I know with Iowa being a swing state and all but I find this outrageous.

And no I'm not bashing the US. My country does some stupid things, maybe even more then the US but I'm just stupified.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    One thing that I have deeply noticed there was how much more sugar and/or fat was in pretty much everything. I can't really eat in restaurants with my allergies (so I ended up buying groceries instead), but even when I could, the McDonald's chicken nuggets there tastes... sugary. A lot more sweet than those in Canada.
    Food is a choice.

I chose to start eating clean about 3 years ago. My daily meals consist of nothing but fruits, vegtables, and (mostly) lean protein.

Here is a typical day for me - egg white omelette w/turkey bacon, a banana mid-morning, a turkey or chicken lettuce wrap for lunch w/carrot chips (occasionally a Dave's Killer Bread sandwich - tha bread is SO fucking good!), a protien bar and some grapes mid afternoon, and then broccoli/cauliflower/spinach and chicken breast/porkchops for dinner. I do not eat anything for at least 3 hours before I hit the bed.

Here is the thing - once you start eating clean you cannot even stomach the thought of McDonald's, or a Mountain Dew, or a chaco-taco. That shit is revolting.

I am 53, 5'10, weigh 180. Best shape of my life. And while exercise is important, DIET is the key. You cannot comprehend all the benefits that come from eating clean (better immune system, no snoring, better mental health - NO depression.)

If you to choose to eat like shit...well, that is on you. And in the long run, you get some much more value for your money by eating clean. I can buy a week's worth of free-range chicken breast and broccoli, for less than 2 Big Mac, super sized meals

BTW (for the Americans on here) - you MUST try Dave's Killer Bread. They are a west coast company that has finally gone nationwide this year. I am not even remotely exaggerating - it is some of the best bread I have ever eaten. It is a bit expensive, around $4.50 a loaf at Publix, but it is worth every penny. And the bagels? Fuggedaboutit! But the best thing is the company history/Dave's story. Fucking awesome.
    Last edited by mmocc836e66a65; 2017-09-01 at 04:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of it is cultural evolution due to government involvement. The US government subsidizes corn farmers here so regardless of corn's worth they keep growing it for the free gov welfare. With the surplus of super cheap corn it then is turned into corn syrup as its a super cheap sweetener that many companies have just used recklessly in their foods.

For a comparison if diamonds were worth pennies but still looked pretty wouldn't clothing outlets buy mountains of diamonds to sell in clothes and jewelry? The government is channeling this bad behavior with its own indirect action at the source, farms.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Yeah we get it, America is just so much more awful in so many ways that we on this forum have to constantly bring it up as if we're not defensive/obsessive or anything.

More OT, you get a whole 2 extra years of life expectancy in Canada. I think I'll take my food tasty tyvm.
    Wins this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantoro View Post
    Wins this thread.
    Nahh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Didn't know that absolved us of our right to bitch and complain like you are in this thread.
    Wins the thread.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    I live in Canada. Lived my whole life here, but I went to the US twice (few days).

One thing that I have deeply noticed there was how much more sugar and/or fat was in pretty much everything. I can't really eat in restaurants with my allergies (so I ended up buying groceries instead), but even when I could, the McDonald's chicken nuggets there tastes... sugary. A lot more sweet than those in Canada.

It's a stark contrast with Canada, where everything tastes salty instead. Take the bread, for instance. For some reason, in the US it's almost kind of a cake, whereas here it's too salty to be like an American bread. Even your chips taste different. And don't get me started on the fries.

Also, something else that is deeply disturbing me is how most of your flavors are artificial. When I buy jelly here, it's mostly natural stuff. In the US, it's flavored corn syrup. In fact, I'm usually more surprised not to see corn sugar than the other way around when I buy food in the US.

Am I the only one who feels this way? People who travels a lot (from or to the US), did you notice that too?

Anyway, it's mostly curiosity at that point, not shaming or anything.
    Yeah, U.S. foodstuffs took a sugary turn in the '70's when there was a battle for America's collective food soul between sugar and saturated fat. Sugar won and we've been getting fatter ever since.

Turns out the sugar industry lied to us and saturated fat is, for the most part, ok - while sugar is horrific in many different ways.

You'll see sugar in U.S. foodstuffs as corn/fructose syrup or (even worse) high fructose corn syrup. There is a campaign, grass-roots style, to get rid of this stuff in our food (it's in everything), but that campaign is losing - badly. Moreover, the agri-industry is now getting high fructose corn syrup relabeled as "Natural Ingredients" because it's made from corn.

Basically, without a Michelle Obama style revamp of our entire food industry, we're fucked.

Also, Monsanto is literally the devil, and they are making it worse as well - but not necessarily with regard to sugar.

It's another example, of many, in which the United States has all the resources to be a mecca of forward thinking industry, and we're still trapped in the '60's and '70's.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) OP you started your argument with McD.

2) Because you stated it is not Nation bashing that is exactly what it is.

3) Generalizing American food is easy, however it is also very easy to eat healthy (if that is your choice)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    1) OP you started your argument with McD.

2) Because you stated it is not Nation bashing that is exactly what it is.

3) Generalizing American food is easy, however it is also very easy to eat healthy (if that is your choice)
    Just curious, isn't the problem that unhealthy food is so cheap in the US? You can call it a choice but you can only spend a dollar once.

Deleted
    Food is a choice, and people are choosing bad choices, which is driving up healthcare costs which we all pay for in the end.
    Totally agree, Marketing plays a large part in it as well. I mean FFS, every other commercial is for some type of "fast food" from pizza to burgers, Doritos, Mountain Dew, Coke....just disgusting. And the saddest thing is what that food does to, not only your body, but your mind! Processed sugar is SO detrimental to your mental health.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a choice for people that tend to be better off... how much is stuff at Whole Foods?

But if you look at statistics on obesity and diabetes most of it is happening in red states, which tend to be economically disadvantaged.
    I see your point. I guess we are "spoiled" in California.
    I can find plenty of healthy choices at a farmers market, or hell even Vallarta

Deleted
    That is a choice for people that tend to be better off... how much is stuff at Whole Foods?

But if you look at statistics on obesity and diabetes most of it is happening in red states, which tend to be economically disadvantaged.
    But this is the sad thing - you can usually buy 2 bags of spinach for $5! IMO it is actually LESS expensive to eat clean/healthy than it is to eat out. Do you know how much food I can get for $50 instead of going to Outback, Olive Garden, etc. daily trips to BK? Enough to eat well for at least a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is exactly the problem. Processed food is really cheap, natural ingredients cost more.
    That's also absurd. If I go to Mickey D's over here, I spend the amount of money of two homecooked meals.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, eating out, yes. That is really expensive... but even if you buy/cook at home there is a lot of the stuff that is pushed that is in boxes, or already "processed" in some way. I think schools need to teach home ec again. Where you had to mock buy food, and actually cook/sow, etc...

My high school had it when I was there... I do not think they have it as a requirement anymore... it is an elective now.
    Ahh perfect example is ready made pasta-sauce, you'll get a heart attack just looking at the additives.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewhoknows View Post
    Self-centered is what the rest of the world thinks of Americans. Speaking as an European (which is a thing that doesn't really exist, since every country in Europe has a different identity and there's no such thing as a common European identity), Americans come across to me as people who don't really get out of their own bubble, who spend their lives in the USA without ever caring to travel to other countries and seeing how life really is in other points of the globe. Everyone has seen one of those videos where they interview Americans about the geography of the rest of the world, and they prove themselves clueless as if there's not anything worth knowing about outside the USA. And don't get me started on all the patriotic tropes that usually show up in american movies.
    You could travel to a dozen different countries in the time it takes us to get from one side to the other of ours. It's not that we don't care to travel, but many of us can't afford it. And if you're basing what you "know" about America off YouTube and talk show videos which are designed to be entertaining/shocking, then it really explains why you have such a skewed view of the country. With this being your source of knowledge about the US, it seems like you have just as much of a deficiency in travel as we supposedly do. No, traveling to a neighboring country doesn't count any more than us traveling to a different state does (which takes longer in most cases).

And yes, European is about as accurate as American. If you think people from California, Texas, and New York are all the same, you'd be gravely mistaken. But I never see anybody complain about a general use of American simply because we have the same flag. Ever since the Euro came around, Europe has been getting more and more homogenized. Which isn't a good or bad thing, it's just a thing.

As for the patriotic tropes, don't pretend your countries aren't patriotic. If they aren't, then my point about the European blend is even more reinforced. The reason you see it a lot is because we produce a ridiculous amount of movies. You can see patriotism in any movie. But you're more likely to see them in the country that produces the most good movies. I say good because I know we're not first, but we produce the ones that people actually want to see outside of our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewhoknows View Post
    Self-centered is what the rest of the world thinks of Americans. Speaking as an European (which is a thing that doesn't really exist, since every country in Europe has a different identity and there's no such thing as a common European identity), Americans come across to me as people who don't really get out of their own bubble, who spend their lives in the USA without ever caring to travel to other countries and seeing how life really is in other points of the globe. Everyone has seen one of those videos where they interview Americans about the geography of the rest of the world, and they prove themselves clueless as if there's not anything worth knowing about outside the USA. And don't get me started on all the patriotic tropes that usually show up in american movies.
    You do realize that in land area the USA is larger than all of Europe combined (excluding Russia). USA also has larger geographic diversity than Europe. Hell even a single state like California has climate that ranges from hot desert to subarctic. How many Europeans never travel outside Europe? I imagine its not too different from the proportion of Americans who never travel outside USA.

You could spend years travelling around USA and experience variety the entire time. Seems to me your "americans are self centered because they dont travel" view is based on ignorance.

Deleted
    Oh, eating out, yes. That is really expensive... but even if you buy/cook at home there is a lot of the stuff that is pushed that is in boxes, or already "processed" in some way. I think schools need to teach home ec again. Where you had to mock buy food, and actually cook/sow, etc...

My high school had it when I was there... I do not think they have it as a requirement anymore... it is an elective now.
    Again, agree 100%. When I was in school both Home ec and shop were electives but a lot of guys took home ec cause of the girls. Regardless, shop and home ec are not what they used to be (from what I read now.) Damn shame, too.

Cheap to make and cheap to buy. In the end, it's the person who decides their diet. What gets to me more are parents who completely neglect kids a decent diet, they have far less control in what they eat.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    That's also absurd. If I go to Mickey D's over here, I spend the amount of money of two homecooked meals.
    LOL - ya, and do you ever notice the "healthy choices" are WAY more expensive that the double cheeseburger/fries/coke.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Cheap to make and cheap to buy. In the end, it's the person who decides their diet. What gets to me more are parents who completely neglect kids a decent diet, they have far less control in what they eat.
    That's very true as well. A lot of "moms" don't even know how to scramble eggs. Look at Connal's post for one of the reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Sorry we don't douse everything in Mayonnaise.
    You managed to imprint this unique corn inside my head.
    Spoiler: 

The exact sentence which you see here subtitled is actually said IN the anime. (Albeit in Japanese, though)
    In case you like/love gag humour and parodies, Gintama is your friend.

People complaining the OP used McD as a reference... I think it's a very good reference since there are McD all around the world, and if the ones in the US taste sugary compared to the same McD somewhere else, it is a perfectly good example of how Americans have a tendency to like their food sweeter.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Yeah we get it, America is just so much more awful in so many ways that we on this forum have to constantly bring it up as if we're not defensive/obsessive or anything.

More OT, you get a whole 2 extra years of life expectancy in Canada. I think I'll take my food tasty tyvm.
    Valid criticisms are valid - the OP has a very good point. I mean, do you think we're doing great in any category? It always feels like we're just squandering our resources instead of maximizing our potential.