Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I'm surprised this type of thing happened to a person with her privilege. That being said, the cop was in the wrong. The semi truck driver was involved in the accident just because he got hit by him, and he was not under arrest, there was not a warrant against him, or anything. The university hospital has protocols to adhere to and she was right.
    If privilege was indeed a factor; then what you ought to be suggesting is that had said privilege not been present; she'd simply have been shot where she stood no?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Dunno if you noticed, but trump announced plans to resume selling military surplus to police, a practice that was banned under obama.
    Additionally wanting to allow police to no longer require search warrants.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    If privilege was indeed a factor; then what you ought to be suggesting is that had said privilege not been present; she'd simply have been shot where she stood no?
    My first sentence was said tongue-in-cheek.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    Agreed, at least that. I'm not too keen on what exact charge he would be filed with, but I imagine some sort of court proceeding would follow.

I can see why the nurse wouldn't want to draw the blood. It might have been no big deal and the unconscious person might not have cared, but to take that risk could have cost her entire career/license. When I worked at a hospital while I was in college, I've seen folks fired for looking up an inpatient celebrity's record when they had no business doing so. Performing a non-life saving medical procedure without prior consent or an order from a judge is FAR bigger than that.
    I 100% could be wrong here; but assuming as clear cut a situation as this appears to be; i think the officer could actually be charged with assault no? All of this assuming:

1- The nurse was not under arrest
    2- The nurse was not interfering with the officer in the performance of his duty
    3- There is no warrant the nurse is preventing from being carried out

As far as I understand; all three of these are true and if that is the case; can't the officer actually be arrested and charged? Actually a serious question; I'm curious; CAN officers on duty be charged with assault, battery, etc? Or is suspension or termination the worst case scenario for them in such a case? Personally I would be pushing for actual charges, leading to an arrest, followed by prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.

I used to work in an ER there are very specific laws and regulations for evidence collection blood draws. The police are dead wrong on this one.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    Oh please do explain how the officer unconstitutionally ordering a nurse to draw blood is obstructing justice.

Especially since this person is the victim of a head-on, hit and run and not even the suspect.
    Actually one further, he was unconstitutionally ordering the nurse to LET HIM draw blood from her patient.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    My first sentence was said tongue-in-cheek.
    Mine too; was sort of taking your sentence and running with it, guess I sort of forest gumped that one =\

Actually one further, he was unconstitutionally ordering the nurse to LET HIM draw blood from her patient.
    Whoops, thanks for the correction!

I 100% could be wrong here; but assuming as clear cut a situation as this appears to be; i think the officer could actually be charged with assault no? All of this assuming:

1- The nurse was not under arrest
    2- The nurse was not interfering with the officer in the performance of his duty
    3- There is no warrant the nurse is preventing from being carried out

As far as I understand; all three of these are true and if that is the case; can't the officer actually be arrested and charged? Actually a serious question; I'm curious; CAN officers on duty be charged with assault, battery, etc? Or is suspension or termination the worst case scenario for them in such a case? Personally I would be pushing for actual charges, leading to an arrest, followed by prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
    I'm not quite sure. I can't watch the video now, so I don't know much beyond she was arrested, and I'm not going to armchair lawyer it and guess what exact charges can be brought up, but I hope that he is brought up on whatever relevant charges and like you said and I fully agree, prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Mine too; was sort of taking your sentence and running with it, guess I sort of forest gumped that one =\
    Lol oh I see now! Sorry!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Pooti View Post
    In the article, it mentions that the detective was part of a police phlebotamist program, and HE wanted to draw the blood from the hospital patient. The nurse was stopping the officer from drawing the blood, not refusing to draw it and provide it herself.
    And it was still breaking hospital policy, which was based on the rulings of federal courts (The United States Constitution).

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    What crime were they investigating?
    "Contempt of Cop" the worst crime you can commit in America, at least according to cops and conservatives it seems. She told a cop that what he wanted was both against hospital policy and unconstitutional, and the cop found that unacceptable. How dare some "nurse" stand in the way of him covering his ass.
    "Small Government!" the GOP screams.
    Municipalities pass municipal legislation
    "No, not THAT SMALL!" the GOP screams, louder this time.

Police again abusing their power. Thinking they are above the law. Hopefully these guys will be and should be fired. Get rid of cops on power trips.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Whether the patient was the victim or not, Police have no authority to ask for blood samples without a warrant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Police again abusing their power. Thinking they are above the law. Hopefully these guys will be and should be fired. Get rid of cops on power trips.
    They'll likely get a promotion or get a better position somewhere else, if current trends have anything to say about it

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Whether the patient was the victim or not, Police have no authority to ask for blood samples without a warrant.

- - - Updated - - -

They'll likely get a promotion or get a better position somewhere else, if current trends have anything to say about it
    Well, this is the problem we don't punish these cops. I won't go down the whole of shooting and such, but our biggest problems here in the U.S. are; 1) Training of our police officers and 2) Wide path these police when they commit an act from getting off from the jury or cops willing to look the other way on bad cops transgressions.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Well, according to the article the guy was a police reservist who was caught in a car accident with someone fleeing from police. So in this case, I would accept that the police want the guy's blood to help him.
    It doesn't matter. Constitutionally the nurse was right - they'd have needed a warrant, the patient's consent, or the patient to have already been arrested to force the issue any further.

There is a reason those laws are in place. Without them or the cops upholding them, you have the equivalent of a totalitarian police state apparatus like fascist Italy and Spain of the 1920s and 30s, the Gestapo, KGB, or Stasi.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Well, this is the problem we don't punish these cops. I won't go down the whole of shooting and such, but our biggest problems here in the U.S. are; 1) Training of our police officers and 2) Wide path these police when they commit an act from getting off from the jury or cops willing to look the other way on bad cops transgressions.
    All the training in the world won't fix a corrupt cop, firing them or not hiring them in the first place would though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    It doesn't matter. Constitutionally the nurse was right - they'd have needed a warrant, the patient's consent, or the patient to have already been arrested to force the issue any further.

There is a reason those laws are in place. Without them or the cops upholding them, you have the equivalent of a totalitarian police state apparatus like fascist Italy and Spain of the 1920s and 30s, the Gestapo, KGB, or Stasi.
    Well, the guy I was responding to was probably operating under the assumption the police wanted the blood while he was still unconscious so they could string him up on some charges before he woke up and was lying to the nurse when they said they wanted it to help him. I was pointing out that since the guy was a cop and was injured by a criminal fleeing from cops he was probably telling the nurse the truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    More like they wanted to catch him with drugs in his system so that it would be impossible for him to sue because they've got a policy about high speed chases.
    Here's right from the article.

"At about 2 p.m. on July 26, Gray was driving a semi north on State Road 89/91 near Sardine Canyon when a man fleeing from the Utah Highway Patrol crashed a pickup truck into him head-on, according to Logan police, who investigated the collision."

Reads to me that the guy wasn't on duty, just driving around minding his own business when this guy who was fleeing from other police plowed into him. He wasn't involved in the chase.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Not very surprising. Peoples rights in Trumps America mean nothing, just as he showed with the Arpaio pardon.
    Yes I am sure the mean Trump man made that cop do that.

Come on, this subject isn't even related to Trump. Should get that obsession checked out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Promoted or moved away? Come now, these aren't pedophile priests, they are cops.

He'll get a medal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.