Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Do you enjoy guttural voices/death growls?

Hello champions. Good to see you, as always.

I'm a big heavy metal fan. I love stuff like Savatage, Iron Maiden, Sabbath and Priest. Some of the best tunes in the world have been created by this genre of music, and I'll always listen to it.

I also love other vertents of metal - Power metal, Speed Metal, Thrash metal, and, in certain cases, Progressive Metal. But in all the years that I've listened to metal, I can't find myself enjoying guttural/death growls. They just ruin the entire thing for me - no matter how good or poetic or whatever are the lyrics, I just can't enjoy them because of these kinds of voices.

Do you enjoy this kind of thing? If so, what makes you enjoy it?

10+ Year Old Account
    The more you listen to death growls the less harsh they sound. Most of the people who say they detest them are those who have also spent the least amount of time becoming used to the sound of them.

That said, they're not for everyone. They have their place (and don't belong everywhere) but definitely set the tone in many subgenres. I like them because they generally fit with the music they go with - for the same reason that power usually features soaring vocals, growling is a key part of other kinds of metal.

And always remember there's a range - not everything is cookie monster. Find something that you like, listen to it enough, and soon you'll realize you're not bothered by the harsher stuff.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2017-09-01 at 09:33 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

yep.

i like it best when they're understandable. but sometimes, i do like to just listen to something that sounds like it's just stones being ground together.

Deleted
    I didn't like it from day one. I slowly worked my way up.

I never liked the music my fellow classmates listened to. It was boring. I've always prefered the heavier stuff for some reason. But back then there was no youtube, no internet. I listened to bands like Nightwish, and a bunch of populair American bands like All That Remains, stuff like that. And slowly I started to listen to more aggressive music. I've ended up at melodic death, but I also really love symphonic black metal. I love to listen to pure hate, wrapped in nice melodies (I don't like the raw deathmetal or stuff like grindcore). I need my melodies.

Why I enjoy these type of vocals? I don't know, I simply do. I noticed I was different music wise when I was younger, and now I know why. It's almost as there's some gene passed down to you that already determines what music you like :P

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind them. More you listen to metal, the tamer some become. I actually like alot of black and death metal that I would never think possible a few years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't enjoy it from the beggining, but for some reason one day It just clicked for me and after that it's all angels and harps to my ears.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurin View Post

Old dimmu borgir ftw
    Amazing instrumentals there, but when the guy open his mouth, the entire thing goes down the toilet, for me. :'(

10+ Year Old Account
    ive only really listened too and enjoyed stuff like Cannibal Corpse/Six Feet Under. i definitely dont like it all. whether is the voice, the guitars, or just the way its recorded can be a instant turn off to the genre

10+ Year Old Account
    the most into it I go is Amon Amarth's, that's the harshest vocals I like.

I don't know why I like it, if I'm being honest, I just like it.

For reference, my favorite Amon Amarth song, I love the stories they tell.

Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-09-01 at 09:50 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Over half the albums I have listened have harsh vocals as can be seen here

It is definitely something that needs to be eased in to. I didn't go from Maiden straight into Peste Noire, but it was more of a natural progression from classic heavy metal, into thrash, into thrash with death influences (this is where the harshes start) and so on from there.
    I will never look down on someone for not liking harsh vocals, but I will disregard the opinion of people that see no merit in it whatsoever(the same for people that say rap takes no talent). After listening to harsh vocals as my "default" vocals for so long, it actually makes me enjoy clean singing much more and conversely it makes it very exciting when some harsh vocals come along that are extremely unique and rise above the standard vocal styles of the respective genres.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    the most into it I go is Amon Amarth's, that's the harshest vocals I like.

I don't know why I like it, if I'm being honest, I just like it.
    Johan from Amon Amarth has a very distinct and easily understandable harsh vocal style, very "entry level" harshes I would say in a non-patronizing way. If you hold up lyrics and read along as you listen, it is very easy to understand him on releases post-Verses the World
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

yeah i love it! first time i heard it was from a local hardcore band(growls) around 90-91 and i was hooked. later on i was introduced to death metal and black metal.

these days it's evolved into some pretty amazing stuff such as:

and

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Do you enjoy guttural voices/death growls?
    No, I prefer my victims to be silent, so as not to draw any attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    The more you listen to death growls the less harsh they sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    I didn't like it from day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    I didn't enjoy it from the beggining
    i remember listening to Slayer and Metallica and thinking shit like Sepultura was way to growly. then when i was a huge Sepultura fan i used to think things like Cannibal Corpse/Six feet under was way to much. it kind of went on from there

playing guitar myself, a lot of what got me hooked was the riffs though

I'm really not a big fan myself. As soon as I can't understand the words I'm not interested anymore. Metallica is about as hardcore as I can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    For reference, my favorite Amon Amarth song, I love the stories they tell.
    this reminds me of Iron Maiden.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor McGregor View Post
    i remember listening to Slayer and Metallica and thinking shit like Sepultura was way to growly. then when i was a huge Sepultura fan i used to think things like Cannibal Corpse/Six feet under was way to much. it kind of went on from there

playing guitar myself, a lot of what got me hooked was the riffs though
    For sure, riffs are a massive deal - they drive most of what I'm interested in. A lot of time vocals become almost like a second percussion instrument, but other times death growls can be pretty melodic.

Rotting Christ is a good example of a band that uses vocals in both ways on different tracks. Sometimes they're percussive and become part of the riff itself, sometimes they're melodic and move with the riffs.

Be'lakor is another band that does a lot of great storytelling using harsh vocals where the ambience of the song is really key and the harsh vocals feed into that.

And yeah, further to previous posts - Amon Amarth are great at what they do, but they're also great at releasing the same album over and over (since WOoOS at least) without mixing their formula up. They're fun to listen to and definitely bridge the gap into the world of harsh vocals pretty well.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2017-09-01 at 10:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    the master of the death growl, Chris Barnes

this whole album is about as classic as Reign in Blood when it comes to death metal
    Last edited by Fat Mac; 2017-09-01 at 10:19 PM.

hate most of it. but the ones i like i really like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor McGregor View Post
    the master of the death growl, Chris Barnes
    Dude needs to cut his hair though, for real. Also the drums on that mix make me really sad.

Deleted
    I like to hear people sing, not scream and growl.