Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Make millions, retire before 40, what a brutal sport, those poor men.
    some have came out and called it modern day slavery. nothing new though, buzz words always tossed around.

Quote Originally Posted by sefrimutro View Post
    What's expensive about it?
    ZERO1 helmet costs $1700.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    some have came out and called it modern day slavery. nothing new though, buzz words always tossed around.
    Could be because nearly 3/4 of the NFL players are black and without professional football they wouldn't have any other means of income.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    ZERO1 helmet costs $1700.
    Ah! didn't understand that they meant the equipment.
    ty ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    What's expensive about it?
    Football equipment costs a huge amount of money per player; compared to soccer, in which all you need is pretty much the ball. Also, American Football is a significantly more involved sport from a rules and strategy standpoint, something it shares with its predecessor rugby. Both of these are reasons why soccer is significantly more popular and widespread worldwide than either American football or rugby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Football equipment costs a huge amount of money per player; compared to soccer, in which all you need is pretty much the ball. Also, American Football is a significantly more involved sport from a rules and strategy standpoint, something it shares with its predecessor rugby. Both of these are reasons why soccer is significantly more popular and widespread worldwide than either American football or rugby.
    Thanks for the reply. I wasn't understanding that you were arguing about its higher entry barrier.
    I'm not a fan, but it's pretty sweet to see children of all backgrounds join and play, needing mostly just a ball to get it going.

Ah! didn't understand that they meant the equipment.
    ty ^^
    That is simply an extreme example. A "good" helmet costs $300-400. Then you have all the pads and shoes mouth piece, gloves etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Who is forced to play football?
    Welcome to 2017, where everyone needs to be offended for everyone else.

Modern players know what they are doing. It's a risk. But so was fighting lions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Modern players know what they are doing. It's a risk. But so was fighting lions.
    These young kids really aren't aware of it. At such a young age they are highly impressionable and should be directed towards safer sports.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

Good call. It's time to do away with this sport given the absolutely destructive effect it can have on the brain.
    I remember LeBron saying he wouldn't let his kids play because of the risks.
    Are we going to do away with hockey and boxing as well? LeBron who?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want it banned for several reasons.
    What are those reasons, exactly? I thought you were for exercise and people becoming successful so they can have their money taken to be redistributed to others?

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Are we going to do away with hockey and boxing as well? LeBron who?
    LeBron. The top American athlete in the last decade...

7+ Year Old Account
    Ban Ringette!

10+ Year Old Account
    These young kids really aren't aware of it. At such a young age they are highly impressionable and should be directed towards safer sports.
    That is their parents job... not yours, or the nanny state's job.

- - - Updated - - -

LeBron. The top American athlete in the last decade...
    Top at what?

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Top at what?
    Choking from what I understand.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

They do actually- they send these kids home with TONS of material, talk to them, the coaches give lots of speeches, the trainers show them how to run and so forth. They are also padded well beyond what their tiny bodies can dish out. Also, there is little contact in children's sports.

I have two kids and raised two others. That's four total. Take my word for it- most of these kids and parents are aware. If not, that is an organizational problem not a sport problem or 'our' problem as a society.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    Tennisace just wants Football abolished because it's so popular, and it's something Canada can't be good at...
    I find that comment amusing considering that Canadian Football is actually a harder game than American Football.

10+ Year Old Account
    Safe sports don't exist outside of teeball and competitive hugging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Safe sports don't exist outside of teeball and competitive hugging.
    golf? Or is that in the 'not really a sport' category?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    golf? Or is that in the 'not really a sport' category?
    Could do some damage to your back. Croquet's pretty safe though.

Ultimately, Tace is baiting with this mindset:

Any and all outdoor activity, including hiking and riding a bicycle will include physical risks.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.