Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I never got to play that one, too uncommon back when I was a kid and too rare/expensive now. On the Saturn I have King of Fighters 95, Warcraft 2 and then all the usuals like Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 1 + 2, Fighting Vipers, Fighters Megamix, Nights, Panzer Dragoon 2, Street Fighter Alpha 2 and some others. My Saturn has been playing up though, it will only run certain games despite all of them running perfectly in the disc drive of my PC via emulation.

When I was a kid I used to play Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon 2 and Virtua Fighter 2 just non stop, to the degree where I look back and honestly don't know how I had the patience to sit there and spend literally hours of my free time every night/weekend just playing those games. Warcraft 2 I ended up just giving up on and playing it on the PC at my buddies, it was awkward to play and the save file would fill the entire internal memory after a few levels to the point where you couldn't resume the game without level codes.
    For me on Saturn as a kid was Tomb Raider, Croc, Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter.

Mega Drive was Phantasy Star, Sonic, Altered Beast, Super Thunder Blade, Vectorman, Ecco, Decap Attack and god knows what else.

Still trying to find a decent condition copy of Lost Vikings for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yeah I think part of the reason why Dreamcast died not because of the quality of the product itself (because it was very good tbh) but Dreamcast was kinda like a victim because of the bad reputation Sega got from the others third party developers and other companies because of Sega Saturn.
    The problem with the whole 3rd party dev thing was this.

Sega and Nintendo just let 3rd party devs do what they want during the Saturn, SNES, N64 and Dreamcast era.

Sony however provided full on support and even sent some of their own devs out to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    The original Sega lasted
    *ahem* the ORIGINAL Sega was the master system :P

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    *ahem* the ORIGINAL Sega was the master system :P
    False.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SG-1000

And if we want to go beyond consoles they where an arcade and atari publisher long before that even.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    False.

And if we want to go beyond consoles they where an arcade and atari publisher long before that even.
    Yup Sega originally before creating their first console was a very good Arcade company.

False.

eh I don't really count the SG. I mean sure its a console. but it was meant primarily as a vehicle for their arcade games and didn't really have any market impact. not that the master system was a market beast.

Yes, Genesis is Sega's peak.

The addons (Sega CD and 32X) annoy the people.
    No one wants to spend $100 every 2 years.

Back in the old days, games were more expensive.
    Both Nintendo and Sega are anti 3rd party.
    PC games were inferior.

Sega is killed by Sony PSX, not Nintendo.
    Arcade is killed because console and PC become more powerful.
    Last edited by xenogear3; 2017-09-03 at 09:12 AM.

eh I don't really count the SG. I mean sure its a console. but it was meant primarily as a vehicle for their arcade games and didn't really have any market impact. not that the master system was a market beast.
    What are you talking about?

Literally every Sega console was a vehicle for their arcade games. Outside of Sonic and PS pretty much every iconic Sega franchise is an arcade one.

What are you talking about?

Literally every Sega console was a vehicle for their arcade games. Outside of Sonic and PS pretty much every iconic Sega franchise is an arcade one.
    between the genesis and master system there is a catalog of 1230 games. your saying outside of 2 of those they are all arcade cabinet games...OK.

between the genesis and master system there is a catalog of 1230 games. your saying outside of 2 of those they are all arcade cabinet games...OK.
    Completely irrelevant to the point. Sega did not make 1230 games.

Sega as a GAME DEVELOPER was by MAJORITY an ARCADE developer that used home consoles to port them.

After Burner
    Altered Beast
    Baku Baku Animal
    Congo Bojo
    Crazy Taxi
    Daytona USA
    Hang On
    House of the Dead
    Monaco GP
    Out Run
    Puyo Puyo
    Space Harrier
    Virtua Cop
    Virtua Fighter
    Virtua Racing
    Virtua Tennis

But yea, let's pretend that Sega wasn't a majority arcade developer for the longest time Sega's home consoles where always refereed to as "home arcades" for a reason. Not to mention every Sega console was just a modified version of one of their arcade boards which is why Sega systems always had better 3rd party arcade ports then the competition.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-09-03 at 10:20 AM.

Completely irrelevant to the point. Sega did not make 1230 games.

Sega as a GAME DEVELOPER was by MAJORITY an ARCADE developer that used home consoles to port them.

After Burner
    Altered Beast
    Baku Baku Animal
    Congo Bojo
    Crazy Taxi
    Daytona USA
    Hang On
    House of the Dead
    Monaco GP
    Out Run
    Puyo Puyo
    Space Harrier
    Virtua Cop
    Virtua Fighter
    Virtua Racing
    Virtua Tennis

But yea, let's pretend that Sega wasn't a majority arcade developer for the longest time Sega's home consoles where always refereed to as "home arcades" for a reason. Not to mention every Sega console was just a modified version of one of their arcade boards which is why Sega systems always had better 3rd party arcade ports then the competition.
    so you choose to argue via semantics or by moving goal posts. never once did I ever mention anything about games that sega developed themselves. if the game comes out on the console who developed it is completely irrelevant. After Burner was the first arcade port to go to the master system I believe. 2 years after the master system was released. my point was that the SG was primarily and only used to move arcade ports into homes. the Master System was made to compete directly with NES and the like not just by porting arcade games regardless of who developed them.

- - - Updated - - -

although it is easy to forget just how big the arcade sector was back in those days and how much they drove the games market. glad to see retro gaming arcades making a comeback if for nothing else then nostalgia. grew up in the arcade and they sure don't have em like that anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had over near to 60 games for the Sega Mega Drive, I have never owned that many games for any other console, even the N64 which is still one of my favourite consoles :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

so you choose to argue via semantics or by moving goal posts.
    Says the guy who started a debate because he was wrong about what the original sega home console was...

Oh the irony. Let it go, it's okay a lot of people didn't realize it either. It was a teaching moment, not a moment to get butt hurt about being wrong over.

no offence. I was alive in 1986. I had a Master System when they came out. I am and was well aware of what the SG is and was. does not change my opinion and perspective that they were glorified port machines. Master System launched with original content with games like Alex Kidd, Rocky, Choplifter and ghost house (ghost house being a remake of an older arcade box, Choplifter being ported to arcade then to master system, but meh) SG did not. SG had nothing else but arcade ports. regardless if Sega developed it published it or whatever strange criteria you want to put on it. now A LOT of games on master system where ports. I never argued that one second. but I am certainly not wrong in arguing against all the games being ports. and I certainly never stated anywhere that Sega wasn't a great arcade game maker or tried to argue that they didn't make arcade games.

10+ Year Old Account
    no offence. I was alive in 1986. I had a Master System when they came out. I am and was well aware of what the SG is and was. does not change my opinion and perspective that they were glorified port machines. Master System launched with original content with games like Alex Kidd, Rocky, Choplifter and ghost house (ghost house being a remake of an older arcade box, Choplifter being ported to arcade then to master system, but meh) SG did not. SG had nothing else but arcade ports. regardless if Sega developed it published it or whatever strange criteria you want to put on it. now A LOT of games on master system where ports. I never argued that one second. but I am certainly not wrong in arguing against all the games being ports. and I certainly never stated anywhere that Sega wasn't a great arcade game maker or tried to argue that they didn't make arcade games.

I disagree with you, saying that Sega Genesis didn't have original games but just ports from Arcade is totally wrong. There were so many great games that are originally created for SG including Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force. You maybe alive in 1986 yes but I guess you didn't own a lot of games in Sega Genesis maybe you just had a lot of games of Master System console but for SG maybe you had few which is understandable. But still you are wrong by saying that most if not all the SG games are just arcade port. There are a lot of awesome original games created specifically for SG to compete with SNES if you want some example sure thing I will give you some other than the shining series.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2017-09-03 at 06:28 PM.

If you're going to argue arcade games you can't leave out the largely successful non-arcade type games. Sonic, Alex Kidd, Wonderboy, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Shinobi Series, Ecco the Dolphin, Panzer Dragoon. Those are just of the top of my head and were either home console exclusive or developed and released on console before the Arcade, doesn't include any of the later Dreamcast games.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

If you're going to argue arcade games you can't leave out the largely successful non-arcade type games. Sonic, Alex Kidd, Wonderboy, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Shinobi Series, Ecco the Dolphin, Panzer Dragoon. Those are just of the top of my head and were either home console exclusive or developed and released on console before the Arcade, doesn't include any of the later Dreamcast games.
    Golden Axe and Shinobi 1 were arcade. The other 2 were Mega Drive exclusive.

But yeah people go on about how the majority of Sega games were just arcade ports yet they had their fair share of exclusives and non arcade games.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-09-03 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Golden Axe and Shinobi 1 were arcade. The other 2 were Mega Drive exclusive.

But yeah people go on about how the majority of Sega games were just arcade ports yet they had their fair share of exclusives and non arcade games.
    Wiki suggests those games were on the console before Arcade, or at least some of them.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2017-09-03 at 10:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wiki suggests those games were on the console before Arcade, or at least some of them.
    The first Golden Axe originally was arcade then it came to the console afterward.

Anyway, I think we can agree that all the Sega consoles had a lot of first party developed games/franchises that weren't arcade ports and a lot of 3rd party exclusive titles along with the multiplatform, even if doing good arcade ports was Segas thing. Like the Saturn had the best 2d fighting game arcade ports, and was known for it, Dreamcasts port of Soul Calibur was a masterpiece and even superior to the Arcade.

But still many or arguably even most of the well remembered games on Sega consoles weren't arcade titles or came to console before arcade. Sega really didn't lose any market because of any bias to Arcade games, so much as they lost a lot of non-arcade games via losing 3rd party developer support after the Sega CD, 32x and Saturn, and couldn't afford continue to market and support the console with heavy competition from Sony. A lot of the issues stemmed from a clashing of cultures and ideals between Sega of Japan and Sega of America too.

At least for a while anyway the Dreamcast here was really popular, even quite a hype/craze for a while.. Sega really dropped the ball on that one.

10+ Year Old Account

At least for a while anyway the Dreamcast here was really popular, even quite a hype/craze for a while.. Sega really dropped the ball on that one.
    Yeah man same in my country as well... I was among the first players who bought it in my country and I was super hyped for Soul Calibur (I was a big fan of the first Soul Edge/Blade in the PS1), Resident Evil Code Veronica and Grandia II (Grandia I in the PS1 was one of my favorite JRPGs)....yeah shame they killed the console so quickly.