Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I've seen a couple of people play this game and it looks like a lot of fun. I know there's different packs you can buy at the moment, from Slayer to Founder. I also noticed the Founder pack contains a Slayer key, which allows people to get into the closed beta later on. If anyone has a spare key, I'd love to get it

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Watched someone stream it for like an hour, the entire time all I saw was farming bushes and farming rocks and farming farming.

Not exactly excitement. :O
    Generally, most people grab those while searching for the behemoth(Takes maybe 3-4 minutes). Some people try to min-max and just gather -everything- before joining the fight(Can take 10+ minutes). Or they gather everything, then intentionally fail the run so they leave with their materials.

Funnily enough, most of the important items are off the behemoths themselves, and require you to "break" certain parts of their body. Like breaking the beak on a Shrike/Skraev(the owl-type ones).

Watched someone stream it for like an hour, the entire time all I saw was farming bushes and farming rocks and farming farming.

Not exactly excitement. :O
    That's like if I go to a WoW stream and see someone farming profession stuff and saying the game isn't exciting based on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, btw, going to a MHW video or discussion and saying nothing but "Dauntless looks better" is glorious.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Given how much I hate farming - and how much MMOs are based on just that - it wouldn't really seem unfair to me to characterize most WoW gameplay that way. So yeah. :/
    Yeah...it would.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Deleted
    Given how much I hate farming - and how much MMOs are based on just that - it wouldn't really seem unfair to me to characterize most WoW gameplay that way. So yeah. :/
    That's....stupid.

It would obviously be correct if it's a major part of the game, but in WoW's case, farming ressources by clicking on a bush or rock is something you do on the side. Just like herb gathering in The Witcher or something.

I personally think that Dauntless has nearly nothing offer too (but hey it's free to play @ release, isn't it?).... in the end, it's most likely just a game which you can play like once or twice a week for 1-2h at best before you get bored with it. And it really looks like it'll get boring rather fast... depending on the amount of farming you *have* to do to achieve something, it might be a poorly thought out game too. At least the way I see it, they should design this to be "casual friendly" so that upgrading your weapon is actually not a rare occurance for players that don't do long and frequent sessions.

So - how much do you have to "farm" to switch to a different weapon and be on the same level of power, or to advance in this game?

If it's not much, then at least you can change your gameplay-style from time to time - but where is the carrot? If it's a lot, are you supposed to farm the owl 50 times, so that you can farm it another 50 times with a different weapon? I don't know how they could possibly balance the reward and gameplay experience properly.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2017-08-23 at 05:53 AM.

Don't know if the numbers are the same in Dauntless but based on my Monster Hunter experience it's closer to 1-2 owls. Just the other day I was making armor in MH and it took four kills for a whole set of five pieces. I think I'd need 1-2 more for a sword. Keeping up with progression is going to be less an issue of farming time and more of wether you can keep up with increasing challange.

One caveat here: MH has some rare (~2-8% drop chance) ingredients that I also loathe, but even if Dauntless keeps those, they probably won't be an issue for people who didn't get into the game and quit before they ever show up.

Thing is, the gameplay experience IS the reward, really. There are people who love the gameplay and will spend hundreds or thousands of hours doing the same thing in each new iteration of the game. Even restart from scratch when there's no benefit to it (no new game+ or anything). Other people will maybe stick around to kill some cool looking monsters, get bored and quit.

Good thing about Dauntless is that it's going to be free so you can see if it's your cup of tea or not. Or, as you say, you can just drop by couple times a week, have some fun and move on.

Personally I just don't think there's much point trying to oversell a game that ultimately is only going to appeal to a fairly niche audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixnalia View Post
    Generally, most people grab those while searching for the behemoth(Takes maybe 3-4 minutes). Some people try to min-max and just gather -everything- before joining the fight(Can take 10+ minutes). Or they gather everything, then intentionally fail the run so they leave with their materials.

Funnily enough, most of the important items are off the behemoths themselves, and require you to "break" certain parts of their body. Like breaking the beak on a Shrike/Skraev(the owl-type ones).
    They need to implement "exploration" missions where you just go into a biome and farm materials as much as you want with a chance of a Behemoth being there (small) so you can just go gathering without making the game "worse" for others.

Basically, until you're going premade, if you go pug you will naturally find one guy farming everything, one searching for the behemoth and one screaming all the time "FFS YOU'RE SLOW" and leavign after a while XD

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    If it's not much, then at least you can change your gameplay-style from time to time - but where is the carrot? If it's a lot, are you supposed to farm the owl 50 times, so that you can farm it another 50 times with a different weapon? I don't know how they could possibly balance the reward and gameplay experience properly.
    The carrot is bigger and badder monsters. As stated other times, MH games have this very structure and progression is slow and requires farming. That's the reason why people like them. Don't think it as a WoW where you farm one raid tier then move to the next in a limited timeframe - think it as a Dark Souls co-op where there's only bosses and progression speed is up to you only.

Your question is the same as saying "why people play NG+ in Dark Souls".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xaath View Post

Personally I just don't think there's much point trying to oversell a game that ultimately is only going to appeal to a fairly niche audience.
    Basically this. Devs have stated multiple times where the game takes inspiration from and what they want it to be. This happens to be a MH-like game that appeals to a very specific playerbase. For fans like us, it's doing great - can understand people not liking it as it's not the most compelling game structure.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

it looks like it will be fun for a bit and every now and then from there on it. ill play it when its fully released.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    I personally think that Dauntless has nearly nothing offer too (but hey it's free to play @ release, isn't it?).... in the end, it's most likely just a game which you can play like once or twice a week for 1-2h at best before you get bored with it. And it really looks like it'll get boring rather fast... depending on the amount of farming you *have* to do to achieve something, it might be a poorly thought out game too. At least the way I see it, they should design this to be "casual friendly" so that upgrading your weapon is actually not a rare occurance for players that don't do long and frequent sessions.

So - how much do you have to "farm" to switch to a different weapon and be on the same level of power, or to advance in this game?

You don't understand because you never played Monster Hunter?
    Basically this a very much "roleplayish" game.
    You play it for the love of the "gameplay" and the love of your "armor"

There are 2 sides for the "gameplay" - The way you use "your weapon" and the way you play against the "monster". You need to master both
    And if the monsters are well designed like Monster Hunter, it will take you a long time to "master the monster"

The "Armors", again are a very roleplayish factor of the game. You do them because you either like how they look OR because you love the "special skills" they offer.

Basically all the fun comes from mastering the way the monster fights and avoid all the attack patterns while doing the most damage.
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2017-08-23 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    They need to implement "exploration" missions where you just go into a biome and farm materials as much as you want with a chance of a Behemoth being there (small) so you can just go gathering without making the game "worse" for.
    There's a sort of special map like that, I got a mission for a resource rich island, the catch being the island spawns a random behemoth.

I think the real issue is not many people know they get to keep materials when they fail. So you could do a solo hunt, get everything, then wipe to the behemoth. (As it used to require killing the behemoth).

I did notice a lot of people taking ages with material gathering early on, but by the time you reach embermane(non rogue), people seem to gather as they search for the behemoth. Once found, people flare and gather for the behemoth.

My biggest complaint with pugs currently are the people who can't seem to grasp a mechanic and repeatedly die to it when they could simply stay back instead for it.
    Biggest example is Charrogg when it charges up and begins to stream four jets of fire. You -can- keep attacking it, but if you screw up you take fire to the face and easily die. But instead of hanging back, they run into the fire repeatedly. The amount of times I've hit 100 danger before the behemoth flees even once, on these more difficult behemoths, is crazy.

I do appreciate that some people are taking advice though. Shrike, skraev, and embermane can all be staggered 100% when they charge you and you attack as they hit. So when the skraev or shrike do their fly by, or when the embermane directly charges you, you're able to attack and stagger them. And it greatly simplifies the fight when everyone knows how to do it. It is especially easy for chain blade users.

There also seems to be a fascination with pretty armor sets. Even if the armor set is not going to help for a specific behemoth.
    I normally wear either my Shrike or Cobalt sets. I've had people in full skraev or embermane attire tell me off for wearing a "newbie" set when hunting higher end behemoths.

Except shrike set with a skraev helmet gives you massive stamina, Stan regen, and more iframes.
    Or Cobalt gives you a shield for extra protection. And makes you do 100% damage to breakable body parts. AND gives a damage buff when you break a part.

I guess that could be countered by better explaining set bonuses in game. The newest gear isn't always better. Looks aren't everything, and transmog isn't fully implemented, so sets are seen at a glance.
    Last edited by Sixnalia; 2017-08-23 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixnalia View Post
    -snip-
    Good to know about that special map. I'm still at the rogue Drask mission since i've no time to play.

For the rest, yeah, seems to me standard behaviour of new people in MH - most players are used to a very streamlined structure of kill X = get loot A - kill Y = get loot B and always B>A. in MH and Dauntless the base resistance is cool to not die in a couple of hits, but what makes everything strong are the abilities you can slot with your gear.
    I was in TA before FA, UI in TA was more rough but simpler and clearer imho. It's still a WIP, but some info were just easier to get. Also the amount of people not knowing about the "more info" button below gear in the armor crafting UI (which shows you the full gear tree with all the levelups) is too damn high.

Fortunately there's going to be transmog in game at release so you can be pretty without sacrificing effectiveness
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Eeesh, when talking about monster hunter world their statement was "we think theres always room for fun games/competiton!"

Exactly what Randy Pitchford said about Battleborn, Cliffy B said about lawbreakers and the Wildstar devs said every other week. Its like the mantra of the "oh shit" reacting devs.

I mean, what else can they say?

I just feel bad for the devs that put in all that effort and the game didn't even make it to launch before said announcement. Gotta be pretty demoralizing.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

I can only imagine the 'oh fuck' reaction in the room. It must have been like putting out a sci-fi movie the same week as episode 7.

All given, i think that dauntless will have it's place, kindda like the paladin <> overwatch relationship.

the monster-hunting genre is not really that widespread in the west, and the fact that it's going to be free to play gives people new to the genre incentive to try it out.
    they might eventually move on to the ''big boy game'' without a doubt, but it still gives this game some traffic.

no doubt that Monhun is going to crush this game in playerbase numbers, but i still feel that this game is going to be a lot of peoples first mon-hun experience.

Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    All given, i think that dauntless will have it's place, kindda like the paladin <> overwatch relationship.

the monster-hunting genre is not really that widespread in the west, and the fact that it's going to be free to play gives people new to the genre incentive to try it out.
    they might eventually move on to the ''big boy game'' without a doubt, but it still gives this game some traffic.

no doubt that Monhun is going to crush this game in playerbase numbers, but i still feel that this game is going to be a lot of peoples first mon-hun experience.
    What will help Daultless a great deal is the fact it will be f2p. As long as the f2p pair is fair they will do fine, Personally tho I think there choice to NOT release on steam is dumb as fuck.

If it released on steam I feel it would go head to head with Monster Hunter just fine.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    What will help Daultless a great deal is the fact it will be f2p. As long as the f2p pair is fair they will do fine, Personally tho I think there choice to NOT release on steam is dumb as fuck.

If it released on steam I feel it would go head to head with Monster Hunter just fine.
    they're not releasing it on steam?
    yeah, that's just asinine; people would flock it, especially if it got decent reviews.

but who knows, maybe they'll do it once they realise player numbers are not on par with the expectations.

they're not releasing it on steam?
    yeah, that's just asinine; people would flock it, especially if it got decent reviews.

but who knows, maybe they'll do it once they realise player numbers are not on par with the expectations.
    Nope they have openly said they are not going to release on steam.

I think its cause they don't want to give steam a cut of the MT sells. I think it suck's how much hold Steam has on PC gaming, But it has reached a point where its just bad to not release on steam (Or Origin).
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Nope they have openly said they are not going to release on steam.

I think its cause they don't want to give steam a cut of the MT sells. I think it suck's how much hold Steam has on PC gaming, But it has reached a point where its just bad to not release on steam (Or Origin).
    they probably have to spend more money on PR, advertising and brand exposure just to reach its customers and make a name for themselves than steam would take from the MT sells in the entire lifespan of the game.

the exposure you get on steam as a indie developer is insane.
    Last edited by freezion; 2017-09-02 at 05:11 PM.

they probably have to spend more money on PR, advertising and brand exposure just to reach its customers and make a name for themselves than steam would take from the MT sells in the entire lifespan of the game.

the exposure you get on steam as a indie developer is insane.
    Correct but that's only if your game hits big like day 1. There is a lot of indie games that get buried due to how many is on steam. With this game I don't think that would be the case at all.