Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    No, I'm saying that waging war does not justify genocidal oppression and slavery.

Then again, considering the same people who are trying to "both sides" the indigenous genocide in the Americas are the same suspects trying to "both sides" Charlottesville I shouldn't be surprised.

And no, they weren't "savages". That term has no validity when it comes to culture or anthropology.
    but they were brown and had tomahawks. And spoke weird. But Hillary.

Good move...

To everyone else. "We wuz Kangz n shiet fam!"
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-09-02 at 03:32 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Italians are part black
    Every one is part black.

Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    Every one is part black.
    Correct, part African for sure.
    Garden of Eden is believed to be in Africa. If you choose to believe in that.
    And according to the theory of evolution, homo sapiens evolved on the African continent.
    Therefore, technically, we are ALL Africans.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Hahahaha, holy shit. You ain't even trying to be subtle about that Nazi shit.
    I mean i am white and proud of my race and the best culture ever, that makes me literally adolf hitler i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Correct, part African for sure.
    Garden of Eden is believed to be in Africa. If you choose to believe in that.
    And according to the theory of evolution, homo sapiens evolved on the African continent.
    Therefore, technically, we are ALL Africans.
    And thus we are all people of color

Fun riddle - how do you get a leftist to defend a culture that celebrates enslaving, sacrificing, and cannibalizing their vanquished foes?

Tell them that said culture was created by brown people and was a victim of racism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitro View Post
    I guess i dont read crappy books with yellow press kind of "history"

they didnt have wheels , you know that, right nor writing or poetry. (not even talking about NA indians, much worse)
    pretty barbaric and EXTREMELY violent culture. Glad they're gone.
    If you are talking about the natives of north and south america, you are entirely wrong. Toys with wheels have been found in several graves. There were numerous writing techniques in use, there were rich oral traditions of both poetry and what we would style epic sagas, there were tribes with more democracy than anywhere in Europe at the time, cities larger than Paris or London in the 12th century, trade networks spanning the entire continent, and astronomical and mathimatical science more advanced than Europe would have for another few hundred years. Pretty much the only area where they were lagging behind was in ferrous metalworking and projectile weaponry.

You are right that there were violent tribes though, but no more so than the Europeans, Africans or Asians at the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Fun riddle - how do you get a leftist to defend a culture that celebrates enslaving, sacrificing, and cannibalizing their vanquished foes?

Tell them that said culture was created by brown people and was a victim of racism.
    Not seeing a lot of people here (left or right) defending the Aztec ways of human sacrifice, but I guess this is more of your wishful thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Not seeing a lot of people here (left or right) defending the Aztec ways of human sacrifice, but I guess this is more of your wishful thinking?
    I'm not necessarily referring to the thread, I'm referring to the nation of replacing Columbus day with Indigenous People's Days. As a generality, white leftists in the United States aren't all that enthusiastic about celebrating brutal, superstitious Middle Age cultures, but tell them that they're doing it to make amends for the sins of Europeans and they're all in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    its more changing /erasing history taking a page out of 1984 its scary really
    Yep, right down the memory hole it goes...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not necessarily referring to the thread, I'm referring to the nation of replacing Columbus day with Indigenous People's Days. As a generality, white leftists in the United States aren't all that enthusiastic about celebrating brutal, superstitious Middle Age cultures, but tell them that they're doing it to make amends for the sins of Europeans and they're all in.
    You DO know that the Aztecs is just one of hundreds of native American, First Nation and SAI cultures, right? And that it is a "Indigenous People's Day", not an "Aztec Day"?

We're quite capable of celebrating the positive aspects of First Nations people whilst not celebrating any negative aspects of their culture. Its certainly a step up from celebrating Columbus, a person who deserves none. Its definitely a step up from the right wing tendency to re-write history in favour of someone who's white regardless of that person's crimes.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Indiginous People's Day.

I mean what? Teach history the correct way, or get the fuck out of the Class Rooms. Almost starting to think Teachers need to be under the malpractice laws given how so many teach identity politics instead of true history now. I mean sure native people deserve to get their own histories taught, but why not make a Sioux Holiday? Maybe an Aztec one? Oh wait. Because this is about vilifying White America.
    Okay. Challenge accepted...let's teach history the correct way based on the facts of the matter.

Here's reality. Let's see if you'll accept it. Is this really a man to be celebrated?

"How dare they rewrite history by rewriting a rewritten whitewashing of history that was incorrectly celebrated for years." Christopher Colombus was an idiot who didn't discover America, who was a monster who helped wipe out an entire island of indigenous people but he is white so we have the usual suspects up in arms over defending him.

10+ Year Old Account

Not wanting to celebrate oppression and genocide entails defend slavery and human sacrifice. Apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

You DO know that the Aztecs is just one of hundreds of native American, First Nation and SAI cultures, right? And that it is a "Indigenous People's Day", not an "Aztec Day"?
    Most of them are pretty barbaric by modern standards. The Aztecs are a great example, but none of these cultures are particularly worth celebrating if you're using the same standard of modern leftism that rejects the colonialism as an unconscionable evil.

- - - Updated - - -

Not wanting to celebrate oppression and genocide entails defend slavery and human sacrifice. Apparently.
    If someone just didn't want to celebrate Columbus day, the goal would be to replace it with something positive rather than a celebration of barbaric tribes and even more barbaric civilizations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    We're quite capable of celebrating the positive aspects of First Nations people whilst not celebrating any negative aspects of their culture. Its certainly a step up from celebrating Columbus, a person who deserves none. Its definitely a step up from the right wing tendency to re-write history in favour of someone who's white regardless of that person's crimes.
    I'd agree that this shouldn't be seen as anything other than a transparent bitterness towards whites, if that's your point. I'm guessing it's not.

But really, there's nothing for me to celebrate about indigenous peoples. I don't have any antipathy for them, I just don't care. Modern Americans celebrating a bunch of ancient, conquered cultures because of some misplaced shame over colonizing the continent is absurd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of them are pretty barbaric by modern standards. The Aztecs are a great example, but none of these cultures are particularly worth celebrating if you're using the same standard of modern leftism that rejects the colonialism as an unconscionable evil.
    Rejecting colonialism does not preclude celebration of a culture's positive aspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really. Please expand on your enormous wealth of knowledge about the hundreds, even thousands of cultural groups that made up the pre-colombian population of the combined americas, and outline how "most of them are pretty barbaric". Don't forget to expand on how they aren't worth celebrating by the standards of left-wing political views (another topic you have demonstrated utterly complete ignorance on) while you are at it, if you can, which I doubt.

Because I suspect you are talking out of your ass.

Really. Please expand on your enormous wealth of knowledge about the hundreds, even thousands of cultural groups that made up the pre-colombian population of the combined americas, and outline how "most of them are pretty barbaric". Don't forget to expand on how they aren't worth celebrating by the standards of left-wing political views (another topic you have demonstrated utterly complete ignorance on) while you are at it, if you can, which I doubt.

Because I suspect you are talking out of your ass.
    One would suspect that asking for an explanation of thousands of tribes is really just a rhetorical tactic to dodge the central point. Of course, that'd be pretty uncharitable, but such is life.

- - - Updated - - -

Rejecting colonialism does not preclude celebration of a culture's positive aspects.
    I think people that genuinely feel strongly about celebrating indigenous heritages should do so. A city or state officially declaring a day of celebration is cringe-inducing pandering though. Most people could give a shit one way or the other, but heard somewhere that Columbus was bad and racist, as where natives lived in harmony with nature or something.

Ultimately, it's whatever. Let's just not pretend that the change is about anything other than ongoing antipathy for European-Americans.

Louis CK has a funny bit on this... We called them Indians, because we were wrong - thought we were in India... AND WE STILL CALL THEM INDIANS!