Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Funnily enough I saw a post saying it was a reduction of "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" a
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    This is not the original quote. The original quote is:

This implied that the blood shed by warriors was stronger than the bonds of the womb. So actually, the saying you use to inspire that bonds of family are stronger, is misused, and that bonds you make voluntarily are stronger than those of family.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Ooooo, I like that. Very much agree with it too.

That's actually a common falsehood; no historical record of the "blood of the covenant..." saying exists predating the simple "blood is thicker than water" sentiment as we know it today.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    That's actually a common falsehood; no historical record of the "blood of the covenant..." saying exists predating the sentiment "blood is thicker than water" as we know it today.
    Still, I like it. And agree with it.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Same I hardly keep in contact with most of my extended family.
    Yeah blood means nothing just a group of cells randomly brought together via one route vs another. to me family and love has to do with being tried, tested and experienced.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Shame this expression is misunderstood. Making it very hard to get an idea of yes/no feeling in this community.

Water refers to the womb (biological relation)
    Blood refers to the covenant (Bible / blood brothers)

What the original Bible citation refers to is that friends (at that time more likely allies) by conscious decision are more important than relationships formed by birth.

I think it's very true - my blood brothers (military) are more important than my biological family.

I mean the lack of "truth" behind what I posted was mentioned in the wiki article in the OP. I just thought was strange that without having thought about the saying in a monthof Sundays, it appears twice in one day in the form of this thread and the other post trying to espouse the "covenant" idea.

Other expressions it "completed" (citation needed for the validity of any of these) :

"Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back"

"Jack of all trades, but a Master of None; still better than being a Master of One"

"Great minds think alike, but fools rarely differ"... Okay probably everyone knew that one
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Yes i agree with the proverb. I also agree with 'bros before hoes' and 'any hole is a goal'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So the saying "Blood is thicker than water."

Wikipedia describes it as

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_...ker_than_water

Do you guys think this is true? Are you close with your families?
    Hah... hahaha...HAHAHAHHAA..

Friends and family matter, and we have black sheep among both flocks, the ones we just stop communicating with.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately for me family is always first. A lot of my family may not feel the same way, in fact I'm sure they don't, but when they fuck up I'm always there to help. With the exception of one cousin of mine who's in jail right now for doing something terrible and I've essentially wrote him off my family tree. Though to be honest it's not like he wasn't the worst human being ever in existence, but I've already put up with his stupidly and backstabbing nature for this long, and now I have more than enough reason to leave him to his own sins.

But in general it's always family that comes to the rescue when shit goes wrong, not friends. Friends like to have benefits, and anything that involves wasting time and money is when they draw the line. Family though will usually put up with your shit.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is blood thicker for abandoned children and their parents? No. That means bonding matters, blood doesn't. Science.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

It depends from person to person, i would do everything for my family and let my friends die from a cold if i have to.

Family raised you from childhood they took care for you

Friends are just there to make sure you don't get bored in life and are expandable.