Deleted

Interview: Ethical decisions you've made?

I had an panel interview for a potential promotion for my job in public protection. And I stumbled on a question in which the interviewer asked me:

"Tell me about a time you've had to make an ethical decision at work and explain how you came to that decision."

All I could say on the spot was that I consider myself to be an ethical person and always try to put other people's situations into consideration when assessing a situation. I know that was not a good enough answer but I can't really wrap my head around the question to even come up with a fake example! Any one care to give me examples as to how I could've answered this question?

Ratting out your friend because he stole money from the company or something probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is because it is a generally bullshit psych question, it is less about what is being asked and more about your response to it and how you deal with it. Ultimately it is the kind of horseshit that really does cause a lot more problems than it addresses.

It really means nothing, and the way you answered it was fine UNLESS they find something inconsistent or you flake out and obviously answer with something that is as obvious you are full of shit or you panic under pressure.

If you didn't do any of that STOP thinking about it, if you are or aren't consistent and that wasn't an issue it will NOT be the interviewer ultimately to determine that if that is even a factor which it more than likely will not be.

BUT pro tip, if you do an interview regardless to what is asked or said, if you leave without a pretty firm sign you got the job, YOU DIDN'T. Unless it's one of those positions that is entry level, and in that case, as long as you didn't completely screw the pooch you should be golden.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    I became a vegan to reduce animal suffering.

When going for job interviews you have to prep yourself with a bunch of examples to answer any kind of bullshit question they might throw your way, unfortunately sometimes you get real curveballs like this.

I reckon invent a situation where you were asked to do something that you knew wasn't in the best interests of the company by a manager, and went over their head to get it stopped. But don't choose anything too serious, that'll attract attention.

I've had a few genuine ethical questions at work. One was when my analytics department was being asked by another team to help them bake projected outcomes of a long term investment into the actuals. Their argument was that we made this kind of investment all the time but it always looked bad at the start when there were up front costs but we knew we'd make a return on it, so why not just add the forecast revenue into our reporting so it looks like a positive from day 1?

Straight up cooking the books in my mind. I kept outright telling my manager that but for political reasons our team went ahead with it anyway. I ended up leaving that position...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    I had an panel interview for a potential promotion for my job in public protection. And I stumbled on a question in which the interviewer asked me:

"Tell me about a time you've had to make an ethical decision at work and explain how you came to that decision."

All I could say on the spot was that I consider myself to be an ethical person and always try to put other people's situations into consideration when assessing a situation. I know that was not a good enough answer but I can't really wrap my head around the question to even come up with a fake example! Any one care to give me examples as to how I could've answered this question?

Maybe something like, "I found a customer's wallet. I looked through it, found the contact information, called her and returned the wallet, when she offered me a $10 tip I turned it down."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I reckon invent a situation where you were asked to do something that you knew wasn't in the best interests of the company by a manager, and went over their head to get it stopped. But don't choose anything too serious, that'll attract attention.
    I like that approach, unfortunately it's a police interview so any form of going over management is a big red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Maybe something like, "I found a customer's wallet. I looked through it, found the contact information, called her and returned the wallet, when she offered me a $10 tip I turned it down."
    Oh yeah that would have been a good one... Good to know if this comes up again as we do often have people trying to bribe their way out of things.

Deleted

Difficult to say. In my line of work you are very unlikely to face any work-related ethical dilemmas, unless we're talking about work ethics etc. -- as in quality and commitment.

I like that approach, unfortunately it's a police interview so any form of going over management is a big red flag.
    They kind of fucked you with that question then.

I guess you'd have to make up some utter BS about being in a situation which you could've taken advantage of and didn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Euron Greyjoy View Post
    I became a vegan to reduce animal suffering.
    I would basically saying the same thing, and then say for 10 minutes before going back to my omnivorous ways to help keep the animal population in check and help over fishing. Just because I hate ethical questions

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    I would basically saying the same thing, and then say for 10 minutes before going back to my omnivorous ways to help keep the animal population in check and help over fishing. Just because I hate ethical questions
    What's the point of this post?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Euron Greyjoy View Post
    What's the point of this post?
    Basically stating any ethical question in any form is bullshit, when most ethics are simply questionable at best

"Drugs aren't allowed at my workplace, so I did the ethical thing: I snorted a line before I came to work."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    "Drugs aren't allowed at my workplace, so I did the ethical thing: I snorted a line before I came to work."
    Drugs aren't allowed at work, but the constant agonising pain I am in, that I was prescribed medication for, I leave out in my vehicle to take once before work and once during lunch break.

Drugs aren't allowed at work, but the constant agonising pain I am in, that I was prescribed medication for, I leave out in my vehicle to take once before work and once during lunch break.

Actually this is the /thread answer.

10+ Year Old Account

Actually this is the /thread answer.
    Really? Then why did you even bring up yours? Yours isn't ethnical at all rather completely illegal. No ethics involved. Mine at least involved some where the job did something illegal

Really? Then why did you even bring up yours? Yours isn't ethnical at all rather completely illegal. No ethics involved.
    That was the point. You'll forgive me if I find those kind of questions at job interviews complete crap.

A vendor we were considering doing business with on a large project offered season tickets to a sporting event and suggested each date can be raffled off to interested company employees. I declined the offer and reported the incident to my supervisor.

Just watch corporate ethics training videos on YouTube, you'll get lots of ideas.
    Last edited by Aitch; 2017-09-03 at 01:31 PM.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    That was the point. You'll forgive me if I find those kind of questions at job interviews complete crap.
    As do i. Hence my original post. You can easily make both arguments.

Oh he's stealing a tv.

Oh he's stealing an old clearance bread because he's hungry and homeless.

Ethical questions are bullshit

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.

Well, coming up with a fake example would probably have caused you even more problems than the weak answer you gave.

Ethical decisions are basically doing the right thing instead of the easy thing. We are put into that position fairly often, and the purpose of these kinds of questions are to see how you respond.

So, a quick example might be an error or mistake that happened. Did you admit to the mistake and work to correct it (good answer)? Or did you cover for the mistake and tried to hide it (bad answer)?

Another example could be telling a co-worker you like that they need to improve in an area instead of just trying to be a friend and ignoring the issue.