Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Cool Player housing - Speculation

As several people have posted in the WoD thread, Garrisons were intended to be WoW's version of player housing, a feature present in many other games. While I guess we can all agree that its implementation was fairly bad in WoD, let's imagine that Blizzard decides to revisit the idea. How would you guys (or girls ) introduce player housing?

For me, I would like something as the "hideouts" in Path of Exile, where you can choose between several terrain templates, and you gain space and various fluff to decorate it with as you gain reputation. What would you like to see?

Deleted
    To put it short: as much customization as possible.

I would definitely want to be able to build something myself. Give us the option to use Lego- or Minecraft-style building blocks -- stones, timber and stuff -- and combine them, alone or together with premade modules, to design our own castles and manors. Module option (and a chance to create our own modules for stuff like windows, doors and vaults) because I could personally build a stone castle one block at a time, but wouldn't bother with something generic, like a lumber mill or stables.

And make any possible benefits they give account (or server) wide, or at least grant an option for it -- to share the same house and its facilities on many characters. That's how it works in most other games anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    As several people have posted in the WoD thread, Garrisons were intended to be WoW's version of player housing, a feature present in many other games. While I guess we can all agree that its implementation was fairly bad in WoD, let's imagine that Blizzard decides to revisit the idea. How would you guys (or girls ) introduce player housing?

For me, I would like something as the "hideouts" in Path of Exile, where you can choose between several terrain templates, and you gain space and various fluff to decorate it with as you gain reputation. What would you like to see?
    Well, considering how people act, every item has to be able to obtained at a vendor, dungeon mob, crafting or world drop. For if I have learnt anything, then it is that people get quite outraged if they feel demanded to do something more than the minimal to obtain something.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

At what point in our cosmic war for the fate of the universe would we have time to maintain a home?

Quote Originally Posted by jcf190 View Post
    At what point in our cosmic war for the fate of the universe would we have time to maintain a home?
    Are we homeless?

Quote Originally Posted by jcf190 View Post
    Could probably fill the time we spend killing the Lich King in 2017 for a horsey.

7+ Year Old Account
    The best way to do it would be like SWTOR does it. Buy a empty stronghold then it's up to you to fill it with whatever you want. The thing is it would take a lot of work to get something like that working in WoW.

I don't think they will ever introduce player owned location of big importance after the Garrison fiasco.
    Crimea is Ukraine!

Deleted
    I never understood the fascination with player housing, i dont get it.

Must be a paradise for roleplayers though.

I would enjoy it if they made player housing as similar as possible to the way it works in star dew valley.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd like if the several factions you grind reputation with sold you appropriately themed stuff to put in your hideout. Having for example a house in Tirisfal Glades, that you can decorate with Draenei-looking stuff if you are Exalted with The Sha'tar

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm one of those people who swoon over player housing in games. I would spend countless hours and $$ if they ever implemented it.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do I want it implemented? I don't want it implemented. I want the world to be full of people and not everyone in their own house.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    We are the classic murderhobos. We are homeless people with no family that wander around killing everyone we don't like and stealing whatever they have. We constantly tresspass on foreign homes and even castles, kill everyone inside and take their stuff. So yeah, we are homeless.
    It's all ok though, because they are monsters and we are Saving the World, One Corpse at a Time. Once we slash and blast our way through all the minions and murder the Big Bad, the "War to End All Wars" concludes, eternal peace is achieved (until the next game), and we go back to being a farmer.

"The Hero's Journey", so it's said. It's a chicken and the egg problem. Does the villain come first, or the hero? If there are no monsters, do we need to transform regular creatures into "monsters" to justify the actions of the "hero"? After all, it's amazingly convenient that a poor farmer, looking upon his dour life with no little amount of unhappiness, takes up a sword and shield Don Quixote-style and ventures into the world to "fight evil".

As Dungeons and Dragons teaches us, there is indeed much evil, we are no delusional Don Quixotes, and much like the knight slaying the dragon, our reward is gold, increased power, and "the girl". So no "simple farmer" are we. Oh no. We are the brave, amazing, powerful, conquerors of evil and savers of the world. Our rewards are paltry in comparison.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    How do I want it implemented? I don't want it implemented. I want the world to be full of people and not everyone in their own house.
    The house (or manor, or castle, or w/e) would play exactly like an inn. Which means no bank, no AH, no vendors, actually no NPCs at all, except maybe one that crafts/sells your decorations and repairs your gear. Nothing even remotely akin to Garrisons.

I would see it implemented similarly to Black Desert Online's. Seamless transition when walking through a door into your own personal customized instance that you can invite people into. Wildstar recently is working on a way to merge groups of players' houses into the same instance to allow for a neighborhood-type experience. FFXIV has their housing instanced separate from the rest of the world on its own kind of housing island instances.

I would say an implementation that incorporated all three of these aspects would be ideal.
    So you teleport to the housing continental island. Your neighborhood is instanced, and only your neighbors or party members can enter it. Guilds can make their own neighborhoods, but baseline people will be randomly assigned into neighborhoods to other people with an option to opt out and have their own isolated instancing. Then, while in the neighborhood or your private instancing, you are able to freely explore the rest of the continental island and seamlessly transition between it and your instanced neighborhood and private instance. While in your housing areas, you have a building mode where you can move and place your collection of housing decorations as you wish. Collectibles would be obtained out in the world, to encourage you to go outside the enclosure to spruce it up.

I seriously doubt they will ever do it. They would have done it by now if they thought they could do it properly.

5+ Year Old Account
    Well, it has been done by devs with a far smaller team and budget than Blizzard's, so I don't think that it boils down to technical or manpower issues.

7+ Year Old Account
    I liked Runes of Magic. You actually had a home, and your front door was a "portal" into your home. If you were in a group, you entered the leader's home. You could buy decor, furnishings, and more. It was really a bit of a WoW ripoff in every other aspect (except Mounts), but the player housing was done well.

I do really doubt we'll get player housing in WoW. Even if we ever do, there's a very high likelihood that it'd merely be a shallow following suit of another MMO's player owned housing.