Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    His speech, press releases and tweets were not enough?
    I can't read minds so I only have words and actions to go on, and they don't indicate to me what you said.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean.... no shit?

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I am thinking that it will mostly likely overcome Hurricane Ike in cost, although both were arguably the same strength, Harvey hit more costly things, where Ike hit, not many people lived near that cost unlike Texas.
    Ike made a direct on Galveston and Houston. We had windows blown out on some our downtown high rise buildings during Ike.
    The major differences between Ike and Harvey are we were on the 'dirty' side of Harvey and Harvey all but stalled. At one point it was moving at 1 MPH. During Harvey we didn't get very much high wind which means very few people were without power for lengthy periods. I was only without power for a few hours Sunday. However, I still do not have internet or cable.

During Ike, Galveston experienced winds of over 100 MPH and a storm surge of over 20 feet. My parents didn't have power or water for three weeks.
    Here is a wind analysis of Ike. The 'dirty' side is the NE quadrant.
    https://www.weather.gov/hgx/projects..._wind_analysis

Harvey is very similar situation to Tropical storm Allison. Allison caused havoc all the up to Pennsylvania. It did something like $9 billion in damage. Here in Houston, Allison really only caused problems downtown and on the east side. Where as compared to Harvey it is everywhere. No area of the city was spared. You either had high ground and/or good drainage or you flooded. There was no getting away around it. It literally was raining 24 hours a day for 5 days straight in some places.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Ike made a direct on Galveston and Houston. We had windows blown out on some our downtown high rise buildings during Ike.
    The major differences between Ike and Harvey are we were on the 'dirty' side of Harvey and Harvey all but stalled. At one point it was moving at 1 MPH. During Harvey we didn't get very much high wind which means very few people were without power for lengthy periods. I was only without power for a few hours Sunday. However, I still do not have internet or cable.

During Ike, Galveston experienced winds of over 100 MPH and a storm surge of over 20 feet. My parents didn't have power or water for three weeks.
    Here is a wind analysis of Ike. The 'dirty' side is the NE quadrant.
    https://www.weather.gov/hgx/projects..._wind_analysis

Harvey is very similar situation to Tropical storm Allison. Allison caused havoc all the up to Pennsylvania. It did something like $9 billion in damage. Here in Houston, Allison really only caused problems downtown and on the east side. Where as compared to Harvey it is everywhere. No area of the city was spared. You either had high ground and/or good drainage or you flooded. There was no getting away around it. It literally was raining 24 hours a day for 5 days straight in some places.
    I don't get this...so you are agreeing with me? Hurricanes turn counter clockwise. Even though it was hurt by both, one was obviously worse because it was positioned to hurt it more.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

With the alt-right, the problem with them is not "climate change denial", but "all of reality denial".
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Limiting energy production and food production would also have a negative impact on civilization. There has never been a path forward which doesn't create some new issues to deal with.
    I think rather than forcing people to limit their consumption and production, what we should be aiming for is a cultural shift towards better stewardship of the Earth. That would give much better results. That takes time and the support of leaders though. People generally follow the pack so it's not that hard to create massive changes simply by getting all the leaders on the same page. The culture is still more powerful than laws and regulations.

In regards to energy production, I am optimistic given what I've seen recently that we will have more energy than we need in the very near future. Resources are still a major problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I can't read minds so I only have words and actions to go on, and they don't indicate to me what you said.
    Not surprising considering you didn't even know what was in the Paris accord.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here comes #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Always nice to see people acting all high and mighty while posting from their energy sucking PC's while having plenty of unnecessary gadgets.

They at least know how to virtue signal when usually they have a higher carbon footprint then the people they look down on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Here comes #8
    lol another 100 year storm, or maybe 500 year storm...in the last 20 years....what that make like a dozen of them?

10+ Year Old Account
    When people put expensive houses in dangerous areas these numbers usually go higher, yes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Better to do something than do nothing.
    Like move the fuck off the coast? Or invest into engineering proper solutions? Like, you know, Japanese did with earthquakes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    lol another 100 year storm, or maybe 500 year storm...in the last 20 years....what that make like a dozen of them?
    Those kinds of storms refer to how much rain is dropped over an area, this will be more of a wind event.
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    There's a fucking obvious trend of weather events becoming more and more destructive and powerful compared to the past.
    To the past when we didn't had proper ways to measure anything, or to the past that is still insignificant time to make any assumptions?
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

The problem with Trump and his deplorables, is they won't get it until this happens every year, more than once:

Don't look now, but another monster hurricane is brewing in the Atlantic
    http://mashable.com/2017/08/31/hurri.../#69p2EHo9caq2
    Nah if it keeps happening they will use the data to support their ideals. "See look at the data we have since 2100, Its always been 165 degrees in April!"

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Growing population + growing infrastructure = Growing disaster costs. Surprise, surprise.
    You summed up the phenomenon better than anyone else here, and I'm 7 pages too late.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    How long ago do you think it was since we didn't have proper ways to measure anything exactly? You seem to not know how advanced technology is or was.

Climate change is real and humans contribute greatly. Get over it. Deniers of this are as insane as flat earthers at this point.
    I'll say we can safely say that anything before transistors, weather satellites and internet is highly inaccurate and susceptible to errors in measurement, event detection and distortion of information (via human errors, negligence or simply manually overwritten data)

I also love how you label anyone as "denier", tells a lot about you

The real disaster is Houston growing 40% in the past 25 years. The hurricane was just a storm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.

What is really crazy is that there is a clear link to climate change and yet
    Honestly not really. Hurricane Harvey wasn't a disastrous storm because it was particularly strong for this part of the season. Many Cat 5 Hurricanes have spawned in August as far back as at least 1969 (Hurricane Camille), and Cat 4 storms in August since 1900 (The Galveston Hurricane, the worst hurricane disaster in history).

It was strong to be sure, but the devastation was because of the holding pattern caused by a couple of high pressure systems that blocked it from moving. First the storm surge comes in, then the storm continues dumping rain for a week. When Hurricane Katrina came through it blitzed up and out of the tropics pretty fast (It was still a Catagory 1 storm when the Eye passed over north Mississippi, Harvey was a Tropical Storm before it even got much off the coast).

I'm not trying to say that Climate Change isn't a thing (It probably is, but that is a topic for another time). But this storm wasn't out of the ordinary for anything except its stalling over the Texas coast.

TLDR: This storm wasn't unusually strong for this time of year, what was unusable was its stalling on the coast which lead to massive flooding. This storm has caused less fatalities than both Superstorm Sandy and Hurricane Katrina. Honestly they got relatively lucky, if a high Cat 5 storm like Hurricane Camille hit them they would have been in much worse shape.
    Last edited by Eldar45; 2017-09-04 at 05:53 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    There will be catastrophic events we have to overcome regardless of emitting GHGs. The economy grows .01% in a day and the billion dollar disaster has already been surpassed.