Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is it possible to study two forms of Magic at the same time?

Is it possible, in lore, for a Paladin to train in the Arcane Arts on the side, and even have a slight understand and grasp on something like Arcane Fire or something similar?
    Isn't it fitting WoW really took a nosedive after 'the Cataclysm'?

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrotix View Post
    Is it possible, in lore, for a Paladin to train in the Arcane Arts on the side, and even have a slight understand and grasp on something like Arcane Fire or something similar?
    In WoW lore, Paladins are Preists with warrior training, not the other way around.

There are NE Preists with arcane. I think there are Troll priests with fire?

So yes, it is possible (not that there are NE Paladins, though, partly for this reason.)
    Last edited by Firefall; 2017-09-04 at 06:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In lore yes, but due to gameplay limitations (it's not a single-player game) they can't implement stuff like Gnome Medics (instead of Gnome Priests) and can't make class-race combinations much different from each other (they tried that in classic with priests - had to revert that due to balance)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say having a grasp on Magic would allow you to learn multiple types. Like Mages that became Warlocks, Shaman that Became Warlocks, Paladin's that became Shamans in lre etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    In lore yes, but due to gameplay limitations (it's not a single-player game) they can't implement stuff like Gnome Medics (instead of Gnome Priests) and can't make class-race combinations much different from each other (they tried that in classic with priests - had to revert that due to balance)
    RIP Starshards.

10+ Year Old Account
    This guy I'm talking to is saying that Arcane and the Light cannot coexist, and so therefore a Paladin cannot both use Holy and Arcane Magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    The old Warlocks were Shaman, I believe.

Also, Medan.

This guy I'm talking to is saying that Arcane and the Light cannot coexist, and so therefore a Paladin cannot both use Holy and Arcane Magic.
    Link him Starshards? http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Starshards

10+ Year Old Account
    The re-ignited Sunwell is a mixture of both Holy and Arcane energy. It was Arcane, but after Velen tossed M'uru's remains into it, making it both.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Sunwell

"The Sunwell is a fount of mystical power located on the Isle of Quel'Danas. Originally comprised of arcane power[1][2] in holy waters[3], it is now restored as a cradle of both arcane energies and Holy Light, and the power source of the blood elf Blood Knights."

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That Guy is an Idiot. Night Elves were adept at using Both. Refer him to Tyrande.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arcane magic uses various runes, Paladins often use runes for blessings too, i clearly see how these things may... intersect at some point, not exactly Paladins studying arcane arts deeply, but unknowingly using Arcane magic expressed by Holy Light. They definitely can coexist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    RIP Starshards.
    Probably too many complaints that all alliance priests were forced to play ugly dwarfs. I personally loved touch of death grave stacking. Ugh, you know, the one that reduced raw physical damage done by player who attacked/was attacked by an UD priest? Yeah, that one
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guy was hardset on not giving in. I would've kept going but he just shut me down. I'm honestly glad I'm not a part of the RP guild he was in, as they all actually agreed with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guy was hardset on not giving in. I would've kept going but he just shut me down. I'm honestly glad I'm not a part of the RP guild he was in, as they all actually agreed with him.
    Didn't know that secluded communities like these still exist

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Fel and Arcane cannot coexist; we have multiple NPCs say that once they started using Fel they had trouble using the Arcane. We have numerous NPCs using all forms of elemental magic, using both Light and Void or Life and Death so the discordance seems to be specific to Fel and Arcane.
    What about DHs them? They use arcane magic to handle their inner demon (fel)

Or what about sargeras? He is a titan but influenced by fel

10+ Year Old Account
    Fel and Arcane cannot coexist; we have multiple NPCs say that once they started using Fel they had trouble using the Arcane. We have numerous NPCs using all forms of elemental magic, using both Light and Void or Life and Death so the discordance seems to be specific to Fel and Arcane.
    Well I'm not talkin' about the Fel, I'm just talking about the Arcane.

To explain Starshards, back right up to - I think it was BC but possibly LK - your racial choice had more importance than it does now and would actually give some classes abilities that weren't shared by other races of the same class.

For Night Elf Priests this was Starshards. It was a single target ability like the druid Starfall, that was based on WC3's Starshards that Tyrande could use. So basically Nelf Priests had a little easier time leveling up as a healer than other races priests.

Either way the existence of one area of study or belief doesn't negate the others, but we just don't have multi-class characters because that's not what WoW is.

And I'm kinda glad for it, WoW was having a lot more problems with class and spec distinction starting with Cataclysm and going right up to Legion. Now every class and spec feels pretty different in mechanics, toolkit and theme. That's a very good thing for the game, whereas if we could multi-class it would lead to all sorts of weirdness in theme, balance and min-maxing that's just not a can of worms worth opening.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about DHs then? They use arcane magic to handle their inner demon (fel). After all, Illidan himself was an elven magician

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    And I'm kinda glad for it, WoW was having a lot more problems with class and spec distinction starting with Cataclysm and going right up to Legion. Now every class and spec feels pretty different in mechanics, toolkit and theme. That's a very good thing for the game, whereas if we could multi-class it would lead to all sorts of weirdness in theme, balance and min-maxing that's just not a can of worms worth opening.
    The only thing i miss (read: think it's missed opportunity) is "racial" touch on classes and specs, i think generalization of classes isn't a bad thing by itself, but they had to cut this down simply because it would be literally impossible to balance or the difference would be insignificant and ergo not needed at all.

Warlocks study Arcane and then turn to demonology and other stuff. Priests delve into both Light and Shadow magic. Mages study Arcane, Fire and Frost magic. The entire Suramar story line is based on a combination of Nature and Arcane magic.

WoWWiki link

See Divine Star, an ability that is Holy(Light) and Arcane according to WoW Lore.

Also Chaos seems to be a complete mix of all the schools of magic, which obviously includes Holy and Arcane.

The guy is an idiot that can't use google. It's in the lore, he just refuses to accept it. In my experience (no offense to RP'ers) but hardcore RP'ers tend to completely disregard or reject pieces of lore that may not fit within the narrative they're trying to create.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    In WoW lore, Paladins are Preists with warrior training, not the other way around.
    Incorrect.

For your convenience, a quote from the Warcraft 2 manual about how Paladins came to exist.
    Founded during the Second War, the paladins were a holy order of warriors whose purpose was to defend and shepherd the war-torn populace of Lordaeron. The Archbishop Alonsus Faol had perceived that the pious Clerics of Northshire, who had suffered such terrible attrition in the First War, were ill-suited for the dangers of combat. Along with many of the surviving Clerics of Northshire, he sought those of only the greatest virtue among the knighthood of Lordaeron and tutored them in the ways of magic.
    Priests and Knights, both trained in the other's ways to become a hybird... It is not only Priests.

None of that has been retconned.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-09-04 at 07:09 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    What about DHs then? They use arcane magic to handle their inner demon (fel). After all, Illidan himself was an elven magician

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing i miss (read: think it's missed opportunity) is "racial" touch on classes and specs, i think generalization of classes isn't a bad thing by itself, but they had to cut this down simply because it would be literally impossible to balance or the difference would be insignificant and ergo not needed at all.
    Well according to their little diagram Fel is chaos and Arcane is order. Which rather makes sense, but also not at all. I mean the Legion is the most heavily ordered group around with clear ranks but whatever.

Anyway I think you can make an argument about Fel and Arcane not getting along, but that's because they are both magics of order being used in either a harmonious or discordant fashion. You use it in such a way that it's all neat and orderly and you can get precision, order (duh) and elegance.

Use it discordantly and then you get power, brute force and a chaotic results.

Either deeply effect living creatures and change their basic structure - Troll to Nelf, Nelf to High Elf and whatever type of elves those are in Suramar, Draenei to Broken also Eredar to Ma'nari Eredar, Elves to demonic vampire elves.

Arcane and Fel both warp creatures even more than I'd say the Curse of Flesh does and it does so much faster.

Also always remember that the Titans - even Sargeras - represent a form of order. They are neither good nor bad, they are godlike creatures so beyond our players that our particular moral systems don't really apply to them any more than my torching an anthill makes me a moral or immoral person. And they have torched a lot of anthills, thousands of worlds bathed in the makers flames according to Algalon.

And I agree, they should have kept some sort of real racial ability in, even in the form of more specific racial emotes, but better yet one racial ability with a custom animation that could be used in combat.

Also I'm still kinda holding out for racial weapons sometime. I'd probably swap back to my Holy Cow if he got an actual totem to swing in battle.

imo it seems like the strengths and limitations of various spell casters seems to differ based on plot requirements.

I don't see why a practitioner can't learn multiple forms of magic, and though 'same time' might be something that needs to be explained. I think typically they might always have a preference for one style over another but there seems to be no reason why any magic user should be barred from understanding 'fireball', 'shadow bolt', or whatever basic spell you can think of.

Now SOME schools of magic seem to have other things tied into them in how they're accessed/fueled that make other things harder to grasp and muddy the waters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jace Darkweaver says that since becoming a Demon Hunter he finds it nearly impossible to use the arcane. Illidan may be recreating any spells he once used with the Arcane through Fel now (though I think he is largely just using fel itself). Sargeras is anything but stable and the Fel was exceedingly virulent, completely changing his form; we have no indication that he is still a creature of the Arcane and the fact that the other Titans imprison him instead of urging us to destroy him indicates a fear he may be able to respawn.
    Titans themselves are creatures of arcane. Demon hunters are creatures of arcane and fel too, they use their inner demon as "fuel" and contain it with arcane magic. Tanking PC DHs even use arcane runes in game to conjure fire magic for example. They are somewhat opposite (as in sense "lawful/chaotic", or "order/chaos"), but they are not exclusive (in sense of one cancelling out another).

Arcane magic allows its user to shape things up, order them, while fel energies being extremely powerful - they are hard to control, extremely hard to. That's the main difference between magi and warlocks - warlock can summon obliterating powers into this world using fel magic - but they can't control it. While magi studying arcane energies learn how to control other energies and have better understanding of "safe" use of magic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Well according to their little diagram Fel is chaos and Arcane is order. Which rather makes sense, but also not at all. I mean the Legion is the most heavily ordered group around with clear ranks but whatever.
    Why it doesn't make sense? Fel and Arcane are just energies, it doesn't mean that you can't channel Arcane energies chaotically, or give shape to Fel energy. They both can be used in conjunction, you have to chose which side is more dominant and what energy this exact caster have more knowledge of