Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Miami archbishop: If Arpaio gets amnesty, why not undocumented immigrants?

Archbishop Thomas Wenski of Miami has a question for President Trump: If Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio is deserving of leniency after he broke the law, why not extend the same mercy to immigrants living in the United States illegally?

“What’s good for the goose is good for the gander,” the archbishop told America during an Aug. 29 interview. He noted that opponents of extending amnesty-like programs to the estimated 11 million undocumented people living in the United States often point out that they broke the law by entering the country and therefore should be treated as criminals.

Archbishop Wenski asked, “If Arpaio can be pardoned, why can’t the irregular immigrants be pardoned?”

The White House announced on Aug. 25 that the president had decided to pardon Mr. Arpaio, the former sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona, who shot to national fame by aggressively targeting immigrants living in the United States illegally. In 2011, a federal judge ordered Mr. Arpaio to stop traffic patrols in which people were detained solely on suspicion of their immigration status and turned over to immigration authorities. The court later found that Mr. Arpaio’s office continued to systematically profile Latinos and recommended a criminal charge for prolonging the patrols 17 months after the sheriff had been ordered to stop them. Mr. Arpaio was convicted last month of criminal contempt of court for defying the order.

Archbishop Wenski is not alone in questioning the pardon. Cardinal Roger Mahony, the former archbishop of Los Angeles, wrote he is “troubled and disgusted” by the decision.

Mr. Trump’s decision to pardon Mr. Arpaio was announced in the midst of a debate inside the White House about the fate of an Obama-era program that allows about 800,000 undocumented individuals brought to the United States as children, popularly known as Dreamers, to work here legally.

The Obama-era program allows about 800,000 undocumented individuals brought to the United States as children to work here legally,
    Tweet this

Advocates on both sides of the issue are bracing for the possibility that the president will halt the issuance of new work permits under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program, a move that would effectively phase out a program that gave hundreds of thousands of young people a reprieve from deportation and the ability to work legally in the United States.

Catholic leaders have expressed alarm at the possibility that the White House may bow to pressure from 10 state attorneys general who are threatening to sue the administration over the legality of the program if the president does not change the rules by Sept. 5. They contend that the program, created by an executive order from President Barack Obama, is unlawful and that Congress must regulate immigration. Twenty other attorneys general have urged Mr. Trump to keep the program intact.

As a presidential candidate, Mr. Trump promised to overturn Mr. Obama’s immigration policies, including DACA. But following his election victory, his stance appeared to have softened. In December, he told Time magazine that Dreamers were “brought here at a very young age, they’ve worked here, they’ve gone to school here.”

“We’re going to work something out that’s going to make people happy and proud,” he said.

In February, he said, “The DACA situation is a very difficult thing for me, as I love these kids, I love kids.” Then in June, the administration announced that it would continue issuing work permits under DACA. But the threat of a messy lawsuit could change his thinking.

Archbishop Wenski said he hopes that President Trump will keep his promise to keep people happy—by keeping DACA in place.

“I’m still waiting for him to deliver on his promise that the Dreamers would be happy with whatever he was going to propose for them, that he was going to do right by the Dreamers,” the archbishop said, referring to the nickname given to those brought to the United States illegally as minors. “I think that if he does follow through on that, then we’re in a better position.”

https://www.americamagazine.org/poli...ted-immigrants

Great point. Sick of the hypocrisy by those in Washington. Show some compassion for crying out loud.

Considerable difference between 1 person and millions... plus the fact he's American. Your "point", and his, is non-existent.

>Canadian criticizes immigration policy of another countries.

Fucking lol.

Deleted
    Glad to see you support more religious interference in politics. Will pray 10 'Ave Marias' for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    what's up with this attitude ? i mean, why the fuck do we need to hear every single thing about murricans in an mmo forum, which is international ?

what is next ? writing every article in an unknown texas newspaper ? now i can understand if it effects a majority in the world or relates to something big enough but what we get in return ? topics that only a selected few americans can understand (because most of them are uneducated diabetics )

because of shits like that, an explosion in a city and a fuckin unrelated thing about america gets the same attention. stop looking at that giant mirror kiddos.

p.s : i already know what you all gona write here and guess what ? i don't give a flying fuck. this is my statement.

/rant
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Glad to see you support more religious interference in politics. Will pray 10 'Ave Marias' for you.
    That's not even an argument that pretends to follow. It's a cheesy copout by changing the subject.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arpaio is an American citizen, and the undocumented illegal immigrants are not.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntermyth View Post
    what's up with this attitude ? i mean, why the fuck do we need to hear every single thing about murricans in an mmo forum, which is international ?

what is next ? writing every article in an unknown texas newspaper ? now i can understand if it effects a majority in the world or relates to something big enough but what we get in return ? topics that only a selected few americans can understand (because most of them are uneducated diabetics )

because of shits like that, an explosion in a city and a fuckin unrelated thing about america gets the same attention. stop looking at that giant mirror kiddos.

p.s : i already know what you all gona write here and guess what ? i don't give a flying fuck. this is my statement.

/rant
    Well.. @Linadra @Sydänyö and their ilk complain about Finland threads @atsawin26 and @bungeebungee complain about Canada threads
    You complain about U.S. threads

We can't only talk about North Korea and Brexit on here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    That's not even an argument that pretends to follow. It's a cheesy copout by changing the subject.
    Quoting an Archbishop, who does nothing but reiterate a relatively common political position (and possibly molest little boys, but we don't know that for sure), is clearly an appeal to - in this case religious - authority and as such - given the OP - interesting per se.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Tennisace Nah, we can say plenty of things about Canada, but you need a might less whitewash for your posts. How them First Nations people doing?
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Is "irregular immigrants" going to be the new euphemism?

Deleted
    The big differences to any Trump supporter are these:

1. If Trump wants him pardoned that means he's not "the enemy" and the law doesn't apply to him.
    2. He's not any shade of brown and nor does he pray on a carpet.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because they aren't documented and are contravening immigration laws? Holy fuck what kind of retard asks such a stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Because they're not citizens therefore they don't have any rights in this country.
    This is incorrect; aliens (both legal and illegal) still have rights in the United States.

Because they're not citizens therefore they don't have any rights in this country. Bad troll bait is bad.
    /Thread

That was fast. Better luck next time, Tenn

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they're not citizens therefore they don't have any rights in this country. Bad troll bait is bad.
    Wrong. They're human beings first and foremost. What makes America great is its ability to adapt and this is no different.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Well.. @Linadra @Sydänyö and their ilk complain about Finland threads @atsawin26 and @bungeebungee complain about Canada threads
    You complain about U.S. threads
    Maybe the problem isn't the countries, but the fact you keep running a copypasta enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    /Thread

That was fast. Better luck next time, Tenn
    There's one problem, he's factually incorrect.

- - - Updated - - -

Arpaio has infringed on the civil rights of hundreds, if not thousands of people. he has caused a significant amount of harm. He pushed racist policies, and is a piece of shit racist asshole. I am not surprised in the slightest that Trump pardoned him.

I fully support immigration, it is the basis of free markets and capitalism. Anyone who does not support such things cannot reasonably call himself a conservative, or claim to support limited government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah @Tennisace, I don't hate you or anything, and I enjoy your threads, but people are bringing up some legitimate points about the copypasta business, I mean I am one to talk with my Polls that ran a bit too frequent, and some of how I constructed that leads to criticism, and yes some people are haters, but some might actually just be being constructive in spite of themselves.

I am not telling you what to do, and I am not attacking you and I DON'T want you to change, but as someone who has gotten a bit of hate. You could put a little more meat on your treads, like maybe highlight a few more YOUR finer points.

BUT Maybe there is a method to your madness so meh!

OT:

Yeah the Arcbishop is spot the fuck on, there is no difference between Joe and people here who crossed the border illegally. All these fucking hypocrites crying about the fucking law aren't above a infraction or two themselves, and then bitching about how heavy handed it is.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Maybe the problem isn't the countries, but the fact you keep running a copypasta enterprise.
    I see. How can I improve then?