I just totally suck in Legion - HELP!!

I've been playing a hunter (mostly BM) as my main since WotLK. As a rule, I've always done very well. During Warlords, I was always at the top of the DPS charts as BM. For some reason, during Legion, it doesn't matter if I play BM or MM, my dps sucks swamp water. I am consistently 200k - 300k below the other hunters in my guild, and I'm pretty close to the bottom of guild dps, period. I just don't know why.

I have found that I am always seriously starved for Focus. I can hold out some decent dps on short to moderate fights. But for the longer raid boss fights, I struggle. I don't know if I'm missing on my shot rotations or what. I have watched several videos on youTube, like those from Signs of Kelani, and I think I have the right rotation.

I can't post an links (thanks MMO Champion), so I'll just say my name is Lonesome. I am a Tauren hunter on Bonechewer if you want to look up my info.

I'm desperate for some help.

Quote Originally Posted by elrenno View Post
    I've been playing a hunter (mostly BM) as my main since WotLK. As a rule, I've always done very well. During Warlords, I was always at the top of the DPS charts as BM. For some reason, during Legion, it doesn't matter if I play BM or MM, my dps sucks swamp water. I am consistently 200k - 300k below the other hunters in my guild, and I'm pretty close to the bottom of guild dps, period. I just don't know why.

I have found that I am always seriously starved for Focus. I can hold out some decent dps on short to moderate fights. But for the longer raid boss fights, I struggle. I don't know if I'm missing on my shot rotations or what. I have watched several videos on youTube, like those from Signs of Kelani, and I think I have the right rotation.

I can't post an links (thanks MMO Champion), so I'll just say my name is Lonesome. I am a Tauren hunter on Bonechewer if you want to look up my info.

I'm desperate for some help.
    I seriously have doubts that you were good in other expansions and suddenly bottom 10th percentile now, the game doesn't change that much, not enough for it to change your dps from top to bottom of the barrel.

I would take some time reading:

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/beast-...-pve-dps-guide

and then hitting a dummy. Dummy dps is closer to accurate than any other expansion since there are now no class buffs/debuffs (very few at least)

If you cannot reach 70% of your sim dps on a dummy it's a player-related problem.

I was looking at your best logs, most of it you died in the fight.
    Do you only have Shoulders and Sephuz? At mistress you barely used Multi-Shot and 3 fights as MM with BM leggos, that doesn't help either.
    Sorry to be the bearing of bad news but looks like you need to learn the fights first.

Quote Originally Posted by Loredarius View Post
    I was looking at your best logs, most of it you died in the fight.
    Do you only have Shoulders and Sephuz? At mistress you barely used Multi-Shot and 3 fights as MM with BM leggos, that doesn't help either.
    Sorry to be the bearing of bad news but looks like you need to learn the fights first.
    Agreed with this guy. There is an old saying dead dps does zero dps. If you lack knowledge of the fights (what you need to avoid, what can kill you, etc.) watch video guides and just practice, even in lfr, some mechanics there won't kill you but will kill you on hc / mythic, so you can learn how they look like and how to avoid them, ofc not all mechanics are present in normal / lfr and sometimes it's not your fault if you die, but you can minimize deaths from your own mistakes.

Things like dying on Goroth from standing in the spike spawn, on Mistress from crashing wave and on Host from what it looks like falling off the platform is something you can improve a lot by researching / practicing the fights.

About hunters, I have a BM hunter alt and I went from "utter garbage" to "decent for an alt" level by checking few things like: going to warcraft logs and inspecting top hunters for legendaries, trinkets, talents, gear setup etc. What I found out is the trinkets / legendaries vary but one thing is constant: dire frenzy is dead. No one uses it. Even without huntmaster ring, everyone just plays with stomp. So I tried as well and I think it works fine, plus it's easier to play with. Way of the cobra + one with the pack + stomp is the common setup.

And about focus in BM, well when you see your bestial wrath coming back soon (and it will, with the dire beast cd reductions) you just stop spamming cobra shot at all to prepare to unload it during bestial wrath. During aoe only use multi shot every 4 sec to keep the cleave buff on your pet, don't spam it too much. You can use variety of addons like weak auras or tell me when for easier tracking how long is exactly "every 4 seconds" (the duration of the pet buff). Macro aspect of the wild to bestial wrath to use them together and use artifact ability after you use bestial wrath and summon all the beasts out.

Marksmanship requires more planning, while BM is really lenient in a way you can do everything on the move so if you notice "oh shi- I'm standing in the fire" you can move out immediately without losing any dps. I really enjoy that on fights like avatar, and that was one reason why I dumped ele shaman for a bm hunter.

In addition to the previous posts:

do you have any T19 pieces? 4xt20 + 2xt19 with Stomp/Zoo build is stronger than Dire Frenzy. You also pick Dire Stable by default, which is not the best choice. Go for Way of the Cobra, even when playing with DF. DS is only good if you barely do Cobra Shots in an encounter, so AoE-heavy fights where you Multi-Shot for Beast Cleave most of the time, the only encounter where this could be viable in ToS is Mistress.

Your DF stacks uptime is also bad (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ability=217200). You dont really maintain 3 stacks. Use DF only if you are at 2 charges or if the DF buff on your pet is about to run out. BUT at the same time dont use it if Bestial Wrath is about to come off of CD, like if the CD has 4 or less seconds remaining, dont use DF. The BW CD reduction is highest priority, maintaining 3 stacks second priority and not focus capping is the 3rd.

I'd advise you to dig through warcraftlogs.com rankings for BMs on HC ToS and learn from people who perform well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuuseki View Post
    do you have any T19 pieces? 4xt20 + 2xt19 with Stomp/Zoo build is stronger than Dire Frenzy.
    I discussed that in another thread but if you have high ilvl offpieces or a legendary (chest, shoulder etc.), NH set (non titanforged) falls behind, if you have stuff like 930+ items from weekly m+ chest vs. base hc NH set (like me) it's not worth to bother with the set.

Stomp is still easier to play and good for aoe, and for people who struggle with dps (mess up rotation, die to stuff because they're trying to max their dps etc.) easier spec is always better to start off, more maintenance-y talents can come to play when you feel comfortable with the easier version.

Yes, if you don't have 920+ tf NH setpieces you won't rank but we aren't talking about topping the meters but just a humble start of getting from grey logs to average. So I would wholeheartedly recommend to start from the easiest setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    I discussed that in another thread but if you have high ilvl offpieces or a legendary (chest, shoulder etc.), NH set (non titanforged) falls behind, if you have stuff like 930+ items from weekly m+ chest vs. base hc NH set (like me) it's not worth to bother with the set.

Stomp is still easier to play and good for aoe, and for people who struggle with dps (mess up rotation, die to stuff because they're trying to max their dps etc.) easier spec is always better to start off, more maintenance-y talents can come to play when you feel comfortable with the easier version.

Yes, if you don't have 920+ tf NH setpieces you won't rank but we aren't talking about topping the meters but just a humble start of getting from grey logs to average. So I would wholeheartedly recommend to start from the easiest setup.
    My NH Set pieces I wear are only 910 with socket (helm) and 900 (legs) and it still sims higher than any 935+ piece of gear I've got. Sure, if you only got heroic base stuff, it might be easier to replace, but you need really way higher ilvl on your non-set pieces for it to be worth it.
    Also you can rank without 920+ set pieces.
    Just look through the top logs, there are many people who only got them at around ilvl 900-910, but I don't see any people without T19 at all.

Quote Originally Posted by andreasels View Post
    My NH Set pieces I wear are only 910 with socket (helm) and 900 (legs) and it still sims higher than any 935+ piece of gear I've got. Sure, if you only got heroic base stuff, it might be easier to replace, but you need really way higher ilvl on your non-set pieces for it to be worth it.
    Not to derail the thread too much but I simmed NH 890 helmet + cape vs. 930 helmet from weekly chest + 915 cape from hc tomb and it was higher without the NH set. I got an answer that 60 ilvls combined on the pieces outweigh the 2p t19. I doubt OP would have access to mythic NH set, so he would have to be really lucky with titanforge in NH and not be lucky with titanforge elsewhere (last week I got a 950 cape from the weekly m+ chest so I can literally forget NH cloak by now).

And I see a small amount of people (but they do exist) on top logs with the chest, which means they can't use 2p + 4p combo.

But generally my point was I don't see much reason to play with dire frenzy atm.