Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Talking how can we know the Boss's Ability CD timer to build strategy ?

hello Friends

how can we know the Boss's Ability CD timer to build strategy before we go to the boss before head so we can build a plan of attack?
    without having to engage the boss and see it during fight in Deadly boss mods / bigwigs

and is it a useful information to have for boss fight planning?

and if so do we get it from combat logs? and where can we get those logs for guilds that killed boss before us ?

any tips are appreciated <3

10+ Year Old Account
    What a shitty way to plan a strat.

Pull the boss. Get experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post

Or watch videos and watch their timers.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post

I appreciate ur opinion im just trying to find a better way

Logs. /10char
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Quote Originally Posted by tss View Post
    Logs. /10char

Didnt find in world of logs

Quote Originally Posted by sabrek View Post
    world of logs
    That still exists?

Deleted
    Are you leaving in 2009 or what
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/

Deleted
    Strategy planning isn't so much about planning around the exact timings but instead having a plan on how to deal with the mechanics on short notice as they are called out. You can easily watch a video and get a feel for what the mechanics look like and plan a strategy that works for you. Reading logs to plan a strategy is a difficult and time consuming process, we do it for every new boss but if you're at any lower than the top50 possibly top 100 there's always tons of material available to you and you won't have to resort to ptr testing notes, early logs and dungeon journals to accomplish it.

Deleted
    Wow you people are dicks, he asked a fucking a question and you ridicule him?

Anyways, the best way to plan ahead is to watch videos on the bosses and check the dungeon journal. Be sure to do this before raid so you are prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiturbo View Post

Anyways, the best way to plan ahead is to watch videos on the bosses and check the dungeon journal. Be sure to do this before raid so you are prepared.
    This!! People are just mean and toxic again. They should learn that having a stick up there arse isn't a subtitute Backbone.

To OP: Basically it depends on how early you encounter those bosses. Are you the / one of the First to try them there won't be (m)any logs on warcraftlogs.com so you really have to encounter them, check your own logs and gain experience through that. If you hit those Bosses later in the Expac like now iE there are plenty of Logs you can look up.
    Normally Bosses have multiple mechanics / skill that change depending on phase/HP/energy ofthe boss. The tricky thing normally comes from certain overlaps. Most Fights are designed to introduce you to those mechanics one by one and then start to throw them combined towards you. So the best way is to look on how to deal with each mechanic on its own. After that split the encounter into smaller chunks with each Overlap and Progress from chunk to chunk.

Bosses that are great example for this designs are Mistress and KJ.

Did that not strike you as odd, given the tier's been going for months? Didn't you pause to wonder why?

Desolate Host mythic, for an example. World of Logs: 9 kills logged. Warcraft Logs: I'm not actually sure how you can tell, but it's over three thousand.

As mentioned, videos are the best way to see how the fight goes. I particularly like Fatboss videos, since they actually explain every detail well enough.

However, knowing the timers in advance and strategizing in paper is too time consuming, probably not very effective at predicting how 20 people are going to move. So even if it's a jerk reply, I think it's still more useful to just wipe a few times.

The weird thing is this question being asked in the middle of a tier. It doesn't make a lot of sense for someone to be planning how to pull bosses that are not new. Strategy guides have been written already. Just read those and watch videos.

hello Friends

how can we know the Boss's Ability CD timer to build strategy before we go to the boss before head so we can build a plan of attack?
    without having to engage the boss and see it during fight in Deadly boss mods / bigwigs

and if so do we get it from combat logs? and where can we get those logs for guilds that killed boss before us ?

A very good question! Is the only way to find out the timings by doing the boss?

I would respectfully disagree with numerous posters here who say there's little to nothing to be gained by log analysis. Knowing how often, and when, certain things happen during a fight is very useful as a raid leader. Watching a Fatboss video for example gives a good overview of fights, and helps you understand key mechanics. The difference between that and looking at logs though is important.

I'll use Mythic Host as an example since someone already mentioned that fight. Watching the video guide explains about the adds, and the mechanic changes for moving between realms, but looking at logs helps with knowing the timing of add spawns for instance, which is useful if you're doing the raid calls. How long do you need to keep the first priestess alive so you can transition all the bonewardens before the next set of priestesses spawn, or knowing that they spawn in waves of 2/2/1/2 might affect how you split your raid team and when people have to come back up.

IMO just watching the video guides is a lazy way to raid lead, and I've done more than enough of it to have a basis for my opinion. Probably good enough for normal I guess, or perhaps heroic if you really out gear it, but you'd better put more effort into it if you want to lead Mythic...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolian View Post
    IMO just watching the video guides is a lazy way to raid lead, and I've done more than enough of it to have a basis for my opinion. Probably good enough for normal I guess, or perhaps heroic if you really out gear it, but you'd better put more effort into it if you want to lead Mythic...
    People meant video of kills, which is different than guides. There's a lot to be learned from kill videos (especially if voicecom is on). I don't disagree with your general stance about logs, just thought I'd clear that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskiturbo View Post

They may be dicks but you added nothing yourself (lol dungeon journal). If he wants concrete timings then warcraftlogs.com

Deleted
    hello Friends

You can find out by using Warcraftlogs. First go to the casts tab, then select Enemies and go to the "event" view instead of table, like this:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...=1&view=events

For some bosses this is a bit spammy however with lots of irrelevant casts happening, so you can filter out specific ones by clicking on "Queries", and then on the "new expression" tab. There you can enter the following text:

ability.name = "Shattering star" or ability.name = "infernal burning"

Then change the "pin type" to "filter" further down the page. Next click "create pin" even further down the page. This will make it so that you only see those ability casts. Which will then look like this:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...l%20burning%22

You can use this to check the timing on most boss abilities, although some do not show up. For instance the "Rain of Brimstone" does not show up in the casts for that fight. A good work around for this is to swap over to the damage taken tab with the same pin, and it will show you all the dmg taken from that ability, like this:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...20brimstone%22

Combining the 2 views above we can see that Goroth M Casts Rain of Brimstone, Shattering Star and Infernal Burning at 0:20, 0:40 and 1:00 respectively and they each have a 1min CD. However after the 4 minute marker, the timings change to 4:15 Shattering Star, 4:30 Rain of Brimstone, 4:45 Shattering Star, 5:00 infernal burning, and that repeats.

Keep in mind however that boss timings can vary so in order to get an accurate feel for timers you have to compare multiple logs to see if and why timers vary. For example if you push Mistress(HC) into Phase 2, she will reset her ability timers, so while 1 log might have the 2nd Hydra shot happening at ~1:10 because they hadn't pushed to p2 before that, another group might get it at ~1:20 because they pushed to p2 at 1:00 and the first Hydra Shot in p2 happens 20s after transitioning.

Example 1, Hero p3, 2 hydra shots before transitioning to p2:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ydra%20shot%22

Example 2, Hero p1, only 1 hydra shot before transitioning to p2:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...22&view=events
    Last edited by mmocf78784398d; 2017-09-11 at 12:22 AM.

Unfortunately, its impossible. Only the Boss knows.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Isnt abilities timers static ? Or they are dynamic and can change?