Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's Paul Ryan's inability to wear a fitting suit like, a well-known trait of him?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caaethil View Post
    North America and South America are two continents which include countries like Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Columbia and so forth. People from any of those countries could be aptly (albeit strangely) described as Americans.
    Go do it. Record it. I want to see an Ecuadorian, Chilean, and Canadian team up to beat your ass for insulting them by calling them American.

You are nationally branded by your country, not your continent, unless your country is your continent. Sure, you could add the cardinal direction to it, but the only part that would make people stop for a second is if you said someone's South American, calling someone North American will leave them assuming that you mean a person from the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    Go do it. Record it. I want to see an Ecuadorian, Chilean, and Canadian team up to beat your ass for insulting them by calling them American.

You are nationally branded by your country, not your continent, unless your country is your continent. Sure, you could add the cardinal direction to it, but the only part that would make people stop for a second is if you said someone's South American, calling someone North American will leave them assuming that you mean a person from the U.S.
    Sloooooooow down there, buddy.

I was explaining why OP made a distinction between American and US American. I'll be the first person to agree with you - it's a strange and unnecessary distinction. I was just explaining, since the person I quoted seem to not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    they're lucky they have a rule about pants where I work.

As a DMV she often makes calls out to pastures. That is when she wears denim. Hell, this entire week she was volunteering at a rescue shelter because the storm.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-09-03 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I like how the OP had to clarify that he was talking about USA Americans, as if, you know, Americans come from somewhere else......
    I like how well you confirm the US-American stereotype so early in the thread.

Also, to summarize, from the Americans in the thread: Americans are fat and poor and have no fashion sense? Seems like an odd thing to be defensive about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think most people don't have tailored suits, so they usually end up a little too big or a little too small. I'd think most people would err on the side of "a little big".

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Ever notice how Americans (as in Americans from the USA) often wear suits that are way too big for them?
    Suits seems both 3 sizes too large for the person and they also have no shape in them whatsoever and the shoulders are hanging on their arms.
    The shirts that they wear underneath them also are way too large, with an enourmes gap at the collar, making their head look like it's tiny and floating.

Is this a fashion thing or something? I am really curious about this. You see this both in business as in US politics.
    Europeans oftenw alk around in clean cut, well fitted suits that match the body shape and size.

Good example right here:

US Americans LOLZ

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Blame fat people

2. Clothing industry has made the push to change since 2008. They have been cutting back in sizes and going into multisizes to save money from the recession. e.g. Large exposed necks and just not as much as a snug fit anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Musaik View Post
    Tight clothing is often associated with having feminine qualities. In most states, this is a big no-no for men. Including, trying on clothes, being fashion-oriented, etc.
    There's a difference between "tight-fitting" and "well-fitting" though. And looking like you borrowed your older brother's suit (like Ryan does in that photo) should be an even bigger no-no (a tight-fitting suit looks like you borrowed it from your younger brother).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2017-09-03 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Are you a tailor or something? Have you seen Paul Ryan ever not wearing a suit? Seriously, I couldn't find a picture lol. I'm not sure how you can say it doesn't fit his body shape if you can't see his body shape. But yeah, like others said. You have a single example and are generalizing an entire country?
    He typically wears a polo shirt or gingham dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up. Just search "Paul Ryan polo" and you should find plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It's Paul Ryan's inability to wear a fitting suit like, a well-known trait of him?
    Yes, it comes up every four years.

Despise tight, form-fitting clothing. So uncomfortable. So glad I'm going into a field that wears scrubs. Because fuck suits and ties. I'll take t-shirts and jeans any day with a leather jacket when it's cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Caaethil View Post
    North America and South America are two continents which include countries like Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Columbia and so forth. People from any of those countries could be aptly (albeit strangely) described as Americans.
    I am well aware of the fact that there are many countries that are contained within the North and South American continents. That does not change the fact that anyone who refers to a person from one of those continents as "American", when referring to the continent as a whole, and not the USA in specific, is an idiot.

I am from Canada. I won't miss a beat if someone from another continent was to refer to me as a "North American", any more than someone from Kenya is likely to question why I would refer to them as an African. But I most definitely am not "American", any more than a Brazillian is "American" or a Chillean is "American". An "American" is a citizen of the United States of America, a "North American" is any member of one of the countries of the Continent of North America.

Ignorance or laziness is not an excuse for mangling the proper name of a continent and it's residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I like how the OP had to clarify that he was talking about USA Americans, as if, you know, Americans come from somewhere else......
    not like theres a south america or anything right.....

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaldriss View Post
    Yeah I remember now that there was a civil war between the North and the South Americas.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Canadians are Americans too, since they live in "the America's". Or in the former colonies etc.

Deleted
    I've noticed the same thing. If you're buying a suit anyway, at least buy one that fits you right. I wouldn't trust somebody to be the leader of anything if they can't even dress themselves to look like an adult. Clothes do make the man, and looking sharp and like you have your shit together is absolutely a good signal to send. And you also appear physically smaller if you can't fill out your own clothes. Like a scrawny teenager.

And to all the "fashion conscious equals gay"-nonsense... Nobody is asking for a pink silk suit with dicks instead of pinstripes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Canadians are Americans too, since they live in "the America's". Or in the former colonies etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    Yeah, countries like Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Chile etc are not American at all...
    You can stop with that; no one in North or South America means anything but "citizen of the United States" when they say "American."

If they mean someone from Canada, they say "Canadian." If they mean someone from Venezuela, they say "Venezuelan." If they mean someone from Mexico, they say "Mexican." If they mean someone from the United States of America, they say "American."

I've only ever heard people from Europe claiming that "American" refers to anything other than a citizen of the United States.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-09-05 at 10:26 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    We can't all be metrosexual pansies who are obsessed with fashion.
    Got nothing to do with fashion or being a pansy. But here Ryan looks like a teenage boy in his dad's suit. Is that a good signal to send if you're looking to be a leader?
    If you're in the store to buy a suit anyway, you've made the decision on what style, color, cut, etc., you want. Why not make the last decision and just pick the correct size?

Deleted
    Rarely wear suits myself. I prefer slim fitting suits, I think it looks a heck of a lot sharper, however I will admit that it is uncomfortable as hell. Guessing it is a comfort vs. appearance kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldriss View Post
    I know, it's where you find South Americans.