Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    I feel really sad for Joel Osteen what with the negative press coverage and stuff like that.
    I feel 0 sympathy for any celebrity preacher. Those two words should never sit next to each other. It goes against anything they can possibly preach.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Talk about conflation...

"Conservative, something, something, something, Trump, something, something, something, Alt-Right!!"

When you turn everything into Trump/Alt Right/Hitler, you remove all power and meaning from those words.
    Just stay out of their echo chamber is all I can suggest. It is their base of operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Hahaha, yeah no. That "info" was debunked right after it came out.

There was and is nothing wrong with the church structurally. Osteen's story has changed numerous times now. First it was, that bullshit you just posted, then it was the city never asked me, to now he's saying the church was always open.
    Don't forget he was just "protecting" the people so their wouldn't be another Super Dome situation. He has flipped flopped more times on this than a fish has out of water.

A little diddy someone wrote about Joel Olsteen.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PXY7-XyfBvs

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I prefer that you think for yourself. I am not here to force an opinion on you. Only to inform.
    Whats the point of starting a post without an opinion, you give no direction for the conversation. I do think Joel is a hypocritical religious zealot who only wants to profit off the ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    'Love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.'

Timothy 6:10
    This. And the greatest of these is not simply Love, but Charity (look that up). Being on or around a camel walking into an eye may not be a good thing to try to teach others. There is only one manual, and it's not on TV. Love others. I know I'm not anywhere near perfect, and hopefully some good will come out of it somehow. Only One will be the judge, having more "can" = giving more, only One will judge that.
    Last edited by thatmikeguy; 2017-09-05 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    Whats the point of starting a post without an opinion, you give no direction for the conversation. I do think Joel is a hypocritical religious zealot who only wants to profit off the ignorant.
    Stirring the pot per se'.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Stirring the pot per se'.
    I mean, of anyone to agree with within Christianity, Joel is probably the last on the list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    If you require direction to form your own opinion, then its not my problem. It may be yours.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    If you require direction to form your own opinion, then its not my problem. It may be yours.
    I would also suggest that providing us with random agenda-driven information from the internet is also not your problem, but you don't seem to have a problem doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would also suggest that providing us with random agenda-driven information from the internet is also not your problem, but you don't seem to have a problem doing that.
    If you can't read or think for yourself, thats your problem, not mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    That story was debunked within hours of it coming out.

http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/featu...steens-church/
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Hahaha, yeah no. That "info" was debunked right after it came out.
    If you've got an article that presents evidence to the contrary, I'd like to read it.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Capitalism is about 2 parties being free to trade for mutual benefit. My money helps you, the product you're selling helps me, we trade the money for the product = Capitalism.

Osteen is selling false hope, also known as "snake oil" or "lies". The people giving their money don't receive what Osteen is promising. This is why what he does is considered a scam and not capitalism.

If you truly believe in capitalism or the free market. Then the market should put him out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Man you would get annihilated by Endus if you said that about Islam. Lucky for you!
    No shit eh? The double standards here is hilarious.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Man you would get annihilated by Endus if you said that about Islam. Lucky for you!
    Why? When it comes to Muslims the same is true to extremists. What you don't get is the reason we don't get infracted for saying this is we aren't trying to label the whole faith as being bad.

didnt he end up opening the church? and wasnt the reason behind not opening it at first because the building wasnt prepared for that kind of support?

better to get shit together than to just let them in and have people dying like they did in the saints stadium during katrina...
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The whole premise of God is that he is a fucking asshole to humanity. I don't know how anyone can be so blind to such stupidity.
    I particularly like sports stars who make a cross etc when scoring and thank God...but who then don't blame god when they get a serious injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    If you truly believe in capitalism or the free market. Then the market should put him out of business.
    I didn't say capitalism isn't flawed. I just happen to think it's the best bad idea we've been able to come up with.

The problem as always is the people. Once we figure out how to make all the people perfect, it won't matter what economic system we use. Until them scammers will scam, and authoritarians with authoritate. In the mean time we need to use the best method we can to curb as much corruption as possible.

That's all I'm saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this where you say people that lost their homes and all their possessions should pull them selves up by their boot straps?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Why? When it comes to Muslims the same is true to extremists. What you don't get is the reason we don't get infracted for saying this is we aren't trying to label the whole faith as being bad.
    Yeah exactly. I don't think Christianity as a whole is bad. Or Islam. Both have good tenets.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    There is a church down the street from me that I was interested in going to that had a similar attitude towards people in need; I walked up the steps to look at the signs on the door, only to find that, next to the service hours sign, was a bunch of "if you're poor/homeless go here" signs (all city/state run programs and nothing the church was actively involved in). Was disgusted and never went back.

Christianity in the US has become a warped mutant of a faith that overall does not practice the compassion towards the poor and the disabled that is found in the Bible. Prosperity doctrine is particularly disgusting. The book of Job is a sufficient counter to such an ideology, if you buy into Christianity to begin with.

I hope that people realize that churches can do better than closing their doors during times of human need.
    It's a real shame, since there are so many christians the world over, in the US too I'm sure, who do loads of work helping those who need it, and yet stuff like this dominates the discussion.

Side note, though prosperity gospel is nonsense, Job isn't quite a counter, since his riches are returned to him after the trial.
    Last edited by AwkwardSquirtle; 2017-09-07 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    It's a real shame, since there are so many christians the world over, in the US too I'm sure, who do loads of work helping those who need it, and yet stuff like this dominates the discussion.
    There are. The Catholic church has a pretty mixed history of good and bad but it also has a long positive history of helping the poor. There are also a lot of liberal/socially progressive Christians in the US that have a distinct ideology from conservative Christians, but are rarely talked about in the news.