Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    the early bird catches the fish, im play my alliance on illidan and once i have a steady supply of hexweave bag materials, im going to destroy that fucking market because fuck everyone selling their bags at 2k each

Sorry I'm not gonna undercut you by 1 measely copper and just get undercut by another greedy dude by 1 copper.

I actually want my shit to sell. So I a gonna undercut a good bit.

Problem?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    WoW Auction is too small for market rules to work properly. I wish they would make it region-wide one day. Until now it'll work as it is now, I don't think something would change.
    That would be cool.

UI would have to be rebuilt for that, which is long overdue, otherwise imagine having to scan through thousands of pages of 1 stack auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthium View Post
    http://imgur.com/a/7NKei

Doing this shit should actually be restricted through in-game system. Now, I'm not an economist IRL but I'm pretty sure that if you open up a shop or business there is a law preventing you from setting your prices absurdly low, because you cut out the competition, and in order for the competition to follow you, they should all drop their prices so low that the entire market value of the product or service gets f***ed.

I know I shouldn't be drawing parallels to real life economy in a game but I'd like to see undercutting greatly restricted on the Auction House, and if you want to sell something for 50% of the price like the moron over here, just use trade chat instead. Also worth mentioning are the individuals that, using the Auctionator addon, then add up to the misfortune by undercutting the troll price itself and ruining the prices even further.

I have NOTHING against undercutting for small amounts in order for your item to be sold first, I did it, you did it, everyone did it. As long as the average market price remains the same. Destroying other people's chances at earning decent money with the effort they put in by leveling their crafting skills and gaining the recipes, is pathetic.
    Maybe your skills and own in-game time aren't worth what you thought they were. Adapt or move on.

Amassing gold is overrated anyhow.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2017-09-05 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    Sorry I'm not gonna undercut you by 1 measely copper and just get undercut by another greedy dude by 1 copper.

I actually want my shit to sell. So I a gonna undercut a good bit.

Problem?
    I feel you. Maybe some dudes got all the time in the world to sit in the AH and check if someone undercut them on any of his auctions so that he can instantly undercut him back and spend all days playing this "mini game", but when I post something on AH, I actually want it to sell without relisting it.

So the fastest way to get your shit sold is to undercut significantly, so that I don't have to go and relist it on the next day, because some basement dweller decided to spend his night undercutting everyone by 1 copper.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://imgur.com/a/7NKei

Doing this shit should actually be restricted through in-game system. Now, I'm not an economist IRL but I'm pretty sure that if you open up a shop or business there is a law preventing you from setting your prices absurdly low, because you cut out the competition, and in order for the competition to follow you, they should all drop their prices so low that the entire market value of the product or service gets f***ed.

I know I shouldn't be drawing parallels to real life economy in a game but I'd like to see undercutting greatly restricted on the Auction House, and if you want to sell something for 50% of the price like the moron over here, just use trade chat instead. Also worth mentioning are the individuals that, using the Auctionator addon, then add up to the misfortune by undercutting the troll price itself and ruining the prices even further.

I have NOTHING against undercutting for small amounts in order for your item to be sold first, I did it, you did it, everyone did it. As long as the average market price remains the same. Destroying other people's chances at earning decent money with the effort they put in by leveling their crafting skills and gaining the recipes, is pathetic.
    I haven't read your comments past the first page but honestly before tax the guy is making a 15% mark up. Now you should keep in mind either this guy is trying to make some quick cash or he maybe used this rune to level his profession or something and simply doesn't want to sit on them. Whatever the reason it's his choice. You get absolutely no say in the matter. No one here is going to give 2 shit's either. What can you do about it? Well you already said you don't want to buy them so if that's the case sit on your stock and wait for prices to regulate back to where you want them.

I am 100% as with many on here for the free market and an unregulated economy.

This is ACTUALLY a thread?!

By your own math they are still making a profit versus the mats alone. This post is just you crying about your potential profit margins not being what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    This is a long debunked myth, stuff doesn't sell faster just because it's 50% cheaper. If raiders need Vantus Runes, they go and buy it, whether it costs 2,5k or 1,5k. They don't go and say: Oh wow I wouldn't normally use it, but now that it's 1,5k I will buy it. Noone says that. It may be the case with rare transmog items of course, but with consumables and raid materials, it's not true. You need it - you buy it.
    That's a false. I'm undercutting items by ~30-60% if I want them to sell ASAP, because they're just taking up space in my bag, for example - BOEs from the raids.
    To be fair to Synthium, they're not claiming that lower prices won't get your stuff sold first; that's really obvious. They're trying to make the case that Vantus Runes have a demand curve that's relatively inelastic; demand for them doesn't really increase when the price drops. This is true of gasoline in the real world: people buy gas at pretty much a constant rate regardless of price and everyone doesn't go wild on road trips if the price drops.

That being said, it's largely irrelevant. Buyers don't care why you're offering product at a lower price, merely that you are.

Synthium's main economic mistake is thinking that there's a correct price for goods. In some WoW cases there are real lower limits to production costs, such at the panther mounts, which require vendor-bought materials. But the price of Vantus runes is only constrained by the willingness of sellers to sell mats cheaply.
    Last edited by Kushana; 2017-09-05 at 04:15 PM.

The only "too high" price is one where no one is willing to pay.
    The only "too low" price is one where no one is willing to sell.

If you are trying to sell something for 1000, and someone else is willing to sell for 500, then tough shit. Get over it.
    If it's really worth 1000, then buy at 500 to double your value.
    Otherwise, shut up and accept that it's not really worth what you think it is.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Only problem I see is listing a ton of stuff in stacks of 1 ugh.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a long debunked myth, stuff doesn't sell faster just because it's 50% cheaper. If raiders need Vantus Runes, they go and buy it, whether it costs 2,5k or 1,5k. They don't go and say: Oh wow I wouldn't normally use it, but now that it's 1,5k I will buy it. Noone says that. It may be the case with rare transmog items of course, but with consumables and raid materials, it's not true. You need it - you buy it.
    Uuuuh... yeah, but if anyone does want one of those things, they'll buy the cheap ones first. It may not mean it'll sell instantly, but it'll definitely sell before yours.

Either buy them up and flip them or stop complaining and accept that those just looking to make a quick buck have just as much of a right to use the auction house as you.

Free market IRL will balance itself out. If a company is selling some product absurdly low, then one of two things will happen:

1. They will eventually go out of business because they aren't recouping their operating costs.
    2. They will maintain their price and their competition will either drop their prices to meet current market price or they will see a big reduction in sales. (generally you see this with pharmaceutical companies where a generic will be produced (after patents are lifted) at a fraction of the cost but the initial cost was so high to recoup RND costs, not because it costs a ton to actually produce.)

Either buy the low priced items and relist, or let them all sell and the price goes back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    If it's ACTUALLY worth what you think it is, then buy all the cheap ones and resell them.

They're clearly not worth that, though, given the supply that is sitting there at the lower price. All you're asking for is for the game to somehow enforce a cartel for you at a price that you like.
    You can set prices, for a while, if you're persistent. I cornered the market on some gem cuts in BC, by checking the AH multiple times during the day, buying out undercuts and relisting them at my price. I was going for my epic mount training. It worked for a couple of weeks, but it was a lot of work. I made the gold I needed, and had a supply of that cut that took me a while to unload. (i didn't want to crash the market, I was done, and more than happy to let someone else take my place.)

But yeah, the only set prices in the game are vendors, and the devs wiped out those loopholes years ago. Was it Wrath, or BC, that uncut gems were worth more to the vendor than cut? Or something like that? I just remember there was a way to convert ore to easy gold for a while.

Buy out the cheap stacks, set the price where you desire = business 101. If anything this is a gift.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

10+ Year Old Account
    What the AH needs is a filter option to ignore "stacks" of single items should one wish to do so.

No, having to use an addon to accomplish that is not an acceptable replacement.

Wrong, that's exactly how it works.

I can't even say how many times I've casually browsed the AH, seen something for 1000 when it was worth perhaps 1800, immediately buyouted and saved to use or sell later.

That's how I made sky-high stacks of money back in the day (worth nothing today due to inflation, but that's a different topic).

I live in a country with free market and yes - there is such law. If we have 6 teleoperators and ISPs they can't all set random prices. They can, of course, reduce the price of theirs slightly, add different packages and options but if everyone is selling phone+net+tv for around 15 euros per month, one company cannot just set it to 5 euros per month. It's against the law. I'm pretty sure thats how it works everywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a terrible profit rate for a huge amount of effort and risk whether it will sell in the end for that exact price or not. I'm not hoarding millions of gold like a lot of people so I cannot put myself through that risk. What I can do, is convert materials into products. And 1000g gain (100g profit) per 900g investment is not good enough.
    What country and please link this law. I don't believe you. By definition a free market economy means that the government doesn't interfere.
    "Peace is a lie"

ITT: Guy moaning that he can't make 1k profit on a readily available item that costs 1k gold to make.

Sorry bud. Other guy has the real price - materials + around 20% = the cost, or 1200g in this case.

7+ Year Old Account
    See, and I am offended by people listing lvl 10 green items for 25k gold just because of Tmog. So, instead, I farm gear for myself and don't pay crackpipe prices. Same thing goes for undercutting. Personally, I even do a little speech every time I sell:

"Now at the AH, [Felslate Ore](20) just 20g per stack. That's 70% cheaper than the next seller. Get yours today!"

Why do I do it? Cause I am gold capped, don't need it, and hate it when people list shit at 12k times vendor pricing (hyperbole of course).