Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Ayyy so @RobertoCarlos (I probably spelled it incorrectly) told me I need to watch more movies
    Haha well not necessarily more just interested what you thought of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107692/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Something a bit different, that isnt gonna be playing for movie night but will take you on a lush adventure where you will question what you are seeing but its all connected in a beautifully creative story with memorable artwork.

You give movies tough scores so I'm curious what you think of this one. You will either love or hate it like all the best works

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Dead Poets Society (1989)
    Just saw Dead Poet's Society on third monitor of my desktop while doing some stuff.

Felt really long. It was 2:06 but honestly it felt like such a long story over a decent period of time where it could've been broken up into like ten 12 minute episodes and it'd be even better.

The content of the movie itself was pretty good. The teacher guy was really interesting, but like 50% of the movie was about the students and while they weren't insufferable (maybe because it was an all boys school set in the 80s), it wasn't overly fun to watch.

I feel like at the time, this movie probably would have been a mind blower to watch (maybe like watching Inception was) that made people want to think or feel refreshed mentally, but maybe because of the current year or even my age/life experience/way of thinking, it didn't have a big of a mental impact as it could have.

I'll give it like a 2/10. Which is as generous as I can get, on my scale. It's something to watch and it has a message that I haven't actually seen illustrated before, but if it was more cut or modern I might've enjoyed it more.

Deleted
    The Mummy (2017) - 5.8/10

It's a 5.8 only because of the cool beginning.
    This movie gets really bad the longer you watch it but the beginning was perfect. Very strange.
    The way his dead friend talked to him was so corny and out of place that ruined the movie for me and the way he is revived is even more stupid
    But i enjoyed some of it. Not all. The longer the movie went the more i was disappointed by what i was seeing.

I recommend it only if you have absolutely nothing else to watch at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Death Note 8/10 - Was going to avoid this on Netflix since I found the anime to be slow and tedious. Then I learned it was directed by Adam Wingard who also did You're Next and The Guest.
    He made Death Note into quite a fun and breezy watch. Basically and updated supernatural teen thriller from the 80's and 90's. Like Donnie Darko, The Wraith, or Repo Man but with better directing and production values.

Life 2/10

Alien: Covenant 2/10

Lumping these two together, since they're basically just slasher movies with bloated pretense. What made slasher movies fun in the 80's was watching hapless teens trying to survive an unstoppable killer. These new movies suck all of the fun away by having the smartest scientists in the world backed by billions in equipment, act worse than hapless teens to get chewed up by an unstoppable killer. All that experience and expertise is utterly wasted to make the plot predictable and boring.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2017-09-05 at 09:05 PM.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 6/10
    Mixed feelings. Mostly feel like a total bs with a several lol moments. Still bs.

Life - 6/10
    People that supposed to be smart do one stupid thing after another. Final is ok.

Deleted
    Pirates of the Caribbean : dead men tell no tails. 7/10
    More of the same, not as good as some of the series, but worth a watch if you liked the series. Some jokes scenes seem a little forced. and I am amazed at how well the characters aged in relation to each other (you will understand if you have seen the film)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Trololol alert. Anyone who says King Arthur was a) better than Wonder Woman or b) remotely good at all is just fucking with you for lulz. It's garbage. Arthur is a generic "loveable douchebag w/ heart of gold" who pairs up with a few idiots/redshirts and a magic chick who whips out a giant snake from fucking nowhere and everyone storms the castle and saves the day. There, I just saved you 2 hours of horrible acting, nonsensical plot, and forced CG effects.
    Actually im not.
    I just did not rate Wonder Woman to be that great.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Haha well not necessarily more just interested what you thought of http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107692/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Something a bit different, that isnt gonna be playing for movie night but will take you on a lush adventure where you will question what you are seeing but its all connected in a beautifully creative story with memorable artwork.

You give movies tough scores so I'm curious what you think of this one. You will either love or hate it like all the best works
    Yeah I'll watch it soon. I actually watched the first like 2 minutes to search the name and there were only subtitles, so I switched to Dead Poet's Society since I didn't feel like reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Yeah I'll watch it soon. I actually watched the first like 2 minutes to search the name and there were only subtitles, so I switched to Dead Poet's Society since I didn't feel like reading.
    Should be able to get a english dub version, The top entry on a certain bay that is run by pirates has an english dub. Just gotta switch the audio track because its dual audio and starts on Japanese

Fury starring by Brad Pitt
    I will score it 8/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder Woman - 7.5/10

The movie had its flaws, and I have some deeper criticisms of them, but I enjoyed it even more upon second viewing. Gal Gadot was superb and it was refreshing not to have another brooding, moody hero.

The Big Sick - 9/10

There was so much hype surrounding this film that I was prepared to be disappointed. My love of romantic comedies had seemingly died with the Julia Roberts era...but I loved this film. It's so damn charming, so well written, the chemistry of the cast is so good, and it was just damn near perfect. I use to listen to Kumail and Emily's podcast The Indoor Kids so it's wild to see their relationship mirrored onscreen and so successfully. I'm happy this turned out to be such a hit. Well deserved.
    Last edited by Daws001; 2017-09-06 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    That's fine. I'm not here to convince anyone to watch a movie. I rate them based on my own enjoyment level, which coincidentally, usually matches the audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't trust critic ratings, as I think majority of them come off as snobbish and are influenced by social media and popular SJW opinions.
    Rotten Tomatoes? the website owned by Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc is more trust worthy than independent reviews? Well ok then :/

Let's stick to stating our opinions and not judging/disparaging others for theirs.

It 5/10

I am a HARDCORE horror fan. I run horror films in the background for hours a day. Anything short of a hard R or unrated is as tame as fuck to me. As such, IT was a major disappointment for me personally. I was actually rather bored and sighed a lot toward the 2nd and 3rd acts. Too predicable, not scary, not gory and not atmospheric enough to disarm me. Super lame.

I enjoyed the actors that portrayed the children. They were all fabulous actors. Very funny and genuine. However, Pennywise and the various monsters were as I said, super lame and not scary at all.

The film's plot was largely predicable and lacked an atmosphere of real dread or terror. Pennywise is shown too often, the film lacks gore, lacks stakes and pulls it's punches in horror and context. The film relies on jump scares and loud noises to produce scares. A lot of the creatures, besides looking awful in practical, were shown without setting any real mood.

Finn Wolfhard is an amazing actor though. What range!

All that said, I felt IT had no balls, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos
    Linked Ninja Scroll
    Ninja Scroll

9.5/10

Excellent story that plays out like an oriental D&D campaign. The characters, the fights, the plot, the conclusion... all masterfully woven. A must see for anyone who even remotely likes anime. Half a point deduction due to some scenes can be a little off-putting in mixed company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    Let's stick to stating our opinions and not judging/disparaging others for theirs.
    Damn yo can you use green or blue text next time? That red's hurting my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post47242236

Ahhhh I saw a that thread made and I thought It meant the snow/monster movie. But it seems like a new horror movie came out? I was super psyched and I would've gone to see it, but then I saw the trailer.....

It looks like the G word. Like, it's not just mediocre, it looks really bad. What a shame. I guess I'll try to stream it in some months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Ninja Scroll

9.5/10

Excellent story that plays out like an oriental D&D campaign. The characters, the fights, the plot, the conclusion... all masterfully woven. A must see for anyone who even remotely likes anime. Half a point deduction due to some scenes can be a little off-putting in mixed company.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Nothing quite like a free flowing adventure movie with creative villains and adult themes to really get a story going. I know the exact scene you are talking about haha but it ends up being relevant to the story even if it was uncomfortable to watch with someone but yeah at first it's a wtf moment

Wonder Woman 7.5/10

Best movie of the DC cinematic universe for sure. Had some pacing issues, weak villain and uninteresting origin story but also took note of what Marvel does right with their cinematic universe.

Dunkirk 9.5/10

This is the best movie that I've seen all year with the only close competition being Logan. It's the best movie that I've seen in a theater since Mad Max: Fury Road. Perfect in almost every way except I think some of the cuts between the three story lines could have been a bit smoother.

10+ Year Old Account
    It 5/10

I am a HARDCORE horror fan. I run horror films in the background for hours a day. Anything short of a hard R or unrated is as tame as fuck to me. As such, IT was a major disappointment for me personally. I was actually rather bored and sighed a lot toward the 2nd and 3rd acts. Too predicable, not scary, not gory and not atmospheric enough to disarm me. Super lame.

I enjoyed the actors that portrayed the children. They were all fabulous actors. Very funny and genuine. However, Pennywise and the various monsters were as I said, super lame and not scary at all.

The film's plot was largely predicable and lacked an atmosphere of real dread or terror. Pennywise is shown too often, the film lacks gore, lacks stakes and pulls it's punches in horror and context. The film relies on jump scares and loud noises to produce scares. A lot of the creatures, besides looking awful in practical, were shown without setting any real mood.

Finn Wolfhard is an amazing actor though. What range!

All that said, I felt IT had no balls, so to speak.
    I agree, I enjoyed the trailers and thought this looked like something I was going to rave about. A killer clown that's eating kids but doesn't have a 1 pound budget? Lemme see it! But, just got home from watching it and I'd agree with a 5/10 or so. Started off quite well but then went bit a crappy with it being just jump scares rather than actual properly constructed horror. I mean, there wasn't even children eating gore horror, IT didn't really do anything tbh, I think the scariest was the beginning sewer scene. Ending was poor too, all in all nowhere near as good as I was expecting.

My gf was shit scared though xD

Inside (2007) 7/10

Pretty fun film in the New French Extremity. Top notch editing, directing and gore & practical. I disliked some of the foley and ADR work though- the post production was kinda terrible.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-09-10 at 03:07 AM.

Wind River 8/10

Very well written and beautifully acted. I was pretty impressed with the very simple yet effective direction. This is a very good movie. It's only stumbling blocks were a couple of odd scenes that I felt were played strangely- such as Olsen's performance when she investigates the home. And a couple of plot elements that strained to get two key scenes moving along. Overall the film is deeply engrossing and effective- it's just not flashy or exceptional.

Renner is very good and the supporting cast was fabulous.
    This is promising. I anticipated Taylor Sheridan's directing debut to be successful (it's even on my list of most anticipated films this year).

Regarding your post about It, you seem to enjoy gore and horror. Have you seen I Saw the Devil by Jee-woon Kim? I'm not entirely sure it falls under horror—it's at least not your typical horror film—but it's intense and doesn't hold back on the visual graphicness. Min-sik Choi also demonstrates why he is one of the greatest actors working today. Byung-hun Lee delivers a terrific performance as well, and it's the dynamic between these two that makes the film special. Should you ever decide to watch it, I suggest going into it knowing as little as you deem possible and of course watching it undubbed.