10+ Year Old Account

"base" d line package.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hurricane Irma:

Dolphins v Bucs game likely to be pushed forward, relocated or delayed until week 11. (Both teams byes are on that week anyhow).

Problem with postpone is that these 2 teams will be playing 16 weeks straight, with dolphins going to europe for one and back. Both teams are unhappy with a week 11 date it seems. Both teams could make it too the play offs as well, which would be extra grueling.

If they move it too neutral ground Miami only gets 6 games in Miami which is kinda sad. If they move it forward a day it might conflict with broadcasters contracts and blah blah. It's just a mess.

A prediction of the hurricane: http://i.imgur.com/RFdKIdH.jpg

So it likely south florida wont exist after it hits.
    Last edited by Crackleslap; 2017-09-05 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackleslap View Post
    Hurricane Irma:

Dolphins v Bucs game likely to be pushed forward, relocated or delayed until week 11. (Both teams byes are on that week anyhow).

Problem with postpone is that these 2 teams will be playing 16 weeks straight, with dolphins going to europe for one and back. Both teams are unhappy with a week 11 date it seems. Both teams could make it too the play offs as well, which would be extra grueling.

If they move it too neutral ground Miami only gets 6 games in Miami which is kinda sad. If they move it forward a day it might conflict with broadcasters contracts and blah blah. It's just a mess.

A prediction of the hurricane: http://i.imgur.com/RFdKIdH.jpg

So it likely south florida wont exist after it hits.
    Yeah, tough for the Floridians and the teams. Hope they can figure something out and we don't get another Texas flooding type situation.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news: Ezekiel Elliot ruling coming today.

There's already been some back and forth at a normal court as well, with Elliot's people trying to get a stay on his suspension and the NFL filing a motion that the courts are powerless to intervene cause of previously established Commisioner powers.

This will likely go on for a while yet, but this first ruling on his appeal will start the next phase.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dolphins-Buccaneers game will not be played in Miami due to Irma. They haven't stated if the game is cancelled altogether or if it will be played elsewhere yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe the Strong View Post
    Dolphins-Buccaneers game will not be played in Miami due to Irma. They haven't stated if the game is cancelled altogether or if it will be played elsewhere yet.
    Faced with the choice of playing on a neutral site, or skipping my bye week, I;d choose neutral site in a heartbeat.

All that planning you did all summer for this game, AND having to give up your bye week and risk having a grueling 16 week + any playoff weeks schedule without a single week rest. I;d rather play without fans for game.

But, this might be a money issue. Miami loses out on a home game and a LOT of money perhaps if they don;t play it in their own stadium. I can see ownership making the decision here and choosing the money of playing the game at home and not having to cancel, but just doing it later.

In other years they've made arrangements in a few days to play elsewhere. I can't imagine them not being able to fix something if it's needed. So that's definitely not the issue.

We'll see what they come up with.

Broncos are paying former Bills RB Jonathan Williams $510k to be on the practice squad. That is basically a full salary on a mid/late round rookie contract. Not exactly sure why he is making that much, or why he isn't on a roster if he is worth that.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's official now. Ezekiel Elliot is suspended 6 games. Upheld on appeal.

Some notes:

NFL already decided that he was allowed to play Sunday. (presumably cause the decision came so late)

Judge in the case Ezekiel made against the NFL will make a decision on Friday about a restraining order about the suspension (for any games after Sunday).

10+ Year Old Account
    Surprising that it wasn't reduced.

Gonna be like Brady vs NFL all over again. He'll play this year. If all the rumors are true, I seriously doubt he'll serve a suspension for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well at least He will play game 1.

I cant see a judge upholding essentially an unfair suspension based on incomplete evidence (they left out the investigator's recommendation, they didnt bring in the accuser, ect). That is so stacked against the player I have to believe it breaks the CBA / violates contract law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    But none of that matters, just like the Brady case. Goodell can basically do whatever he wants. Which is why I will say what I said during the Brady case. If you were cheering that on simply because you or anyone disliked Brady, enjoy it when it happens to your team.
    Basically this. I'm not sure of the exact quote anymore, but it was basically something to the effect of "The NFL is it's own brand of industrial justice". Which basically means that the league (and Goodell as it's figurehead) can do whatever they feel is in the best interest of the league, even if such "justice" wouldn't pass in the rest of society.

Do any of you think it's a coincedence that Goodell has barely been involved in this whole case? The NFL specifically chose to not have him involved in any of this. Kind of curious, right? Almost like they want to protect him and his image from further damage in case things go pear shaped. I wonder why. Might have something to do with this lucrative multi million dollar, 5 year extension the owners are close to signing with him.

Kind of makes sense to not have him be ridiculed widely for another year+ for his involvement in a court case about a discipline matter that seems fishy. Want to keep your figured head in good shape so he can serve his contract out and answer all those difficult questions and keep the heat off the owners. Cause if he takes more public heat, you might need to replace him as a public gesture of good will, to the viewing public and fans and the players.

So they've let Goodell keep a low profile with this Elliot case and he won't be involved in any of the further proceedings and he can just keep on doing what he does without interference.

But none of that matters, just like the Brady case. Goodell can basically do whatever he wants. Which is why I will say what I said during the Brady case. If you were cheering that on simply because you or anyone disliked Brady, enjoy it when it happens to your team.
    Not to pile on--but this. People can say "evidence this, evidence that, questionable character of the girl, blah blah" all they want, but the appeal to the court isn't about that. They aren't there to prove Elliot did nothing wrong. The appeal, much like the Brady appeal, is simply around whether or not Goodell has the authority to suspend him and that he treated him fairly within those guidelines. I'm not a legal expert, but given the Brady outcome, I'm not sure how Ellliot stands any chance with an appeal. Not to mention the fact that the judge who is hearing the appeal will likely be very familiar with the Brady outcome and knows that if he overturns the suspension it's headed to a court that rejected that same opinion (and thus confirmed Goodell's ability to do whatever he wants) once already. I can't imagine having your decisions overturned is a good look for a judge. But again, I'm not a legal expert.

tl;dr: Sign a CBA with a disciplinary policy more in your favor next time, players?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but the appeal and suspension needs to be fair. If it wasnt fair because it was treated like a circus with ignoring anything that could defend him, then that wouldnt abide by the fair treatment supposedly guaranteed by the CBA

Thats what they are argiong here. That everuthing involved was unfair and thus didnt adhere to the CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Sure, but the appeal and suspension needs to be fair. If it wasnt fair because it was treated like a circus with ignoring anything that could defend him, then that wouldnt abide by the fair treatment supposedly guaranteed by the CBA

Thats what they are argiong here. That everuthing involved was unfair and thus didnt adhere to the CBA
    And Brady's was any different?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post

The same exact thing happened with Brady. Goodell and the league broke a multitude of rules that they should adhere to according to the CBA, rules about how the appeal should work, but the CBA also says at some point that Goodell has final say in all matters. And so "justice" as we tend to see it, has absolutely nothing to do with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if it already happened to my team? Can I laugh at everybody else getting screwed then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes!
    10 chars.
    Good, no need to change then.

Not sure why anyone would expect anything different from NFL suspensions at this point. It is 100% on whoever the player representatives were for this current CBA, and won't be any different until a new one is in place. I'm actually more surprised when players don't get suspended at this point. Still not sure how Talib didn't get suspended after shooting himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Confirmed that the Bucs @ Dolphins game is postponed until week 11. This sucks. Neither team wanted that. 16 weeks straight, wish all the best for both teams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=sf111867602

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not have a 2nd Thursday game prior to their bye week? It'd still be shitty, but at least they'd still get a bye.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Why not have a 2nd Thursday game prior to their bye week? It'd still be shitty, but at least they'd still get a bye.
    TV Contracts I would assume. If the NFL does anything the surest answer is probably looking at what the money implications are. In this case, they would take away one of their partners games and give that game to a rival. There's also the broadcasters they'd need to have and TV crews. It's often more complicated then we imagine.

Apparently it's been done this way before. Game between Patriots and Miami, during Hurricane Andrew, also moved to the byeweek.