Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Smile Travellers vote Scotland, Canada most beautiful countries in the world

Scotland's wild, rugged beauty outranked every other destination to be named the most beautiful country in the world by readers of Rough Guides.

A look at the top three spots suggests that readers seem to be particularly enamored with countries that boast large, open spaces and dramatic natural scenery, as Canada and New Zealand round out the podium.

Meanwhile, from the country's deep, dark lochs and Scottish lore, to its string of ancient castles and mysterious ruins, Scotland's natural heritage has served as the muse for some of the world's most legendary poets, such as Robert Burns and Sir Walter Scott.

Scotland's Castle Country in Aberdeenshire, for instance, boasts 300 castles, stately homes and ruins -- the most castles per acre than anywhere else in the U.K. Scotland's Castle Trail is a six-day itinerary that features stops at 19 of the country's most famous and dramatic castles.

A newer, but no less important addition to Scotland's heritage is the legacy of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, which drew inspiration from Edinburgh's cobbled streets and winding alleys, and the country's dramatic landscapes.

To mark the 20th anniversary of the debut novel, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" this summer, the country's tourism office created a four-day itinerary that features some of the cafes where Rowling spent creating her magical world, and some of the filming locations used in the movie franchise, including the Jacobite Steam Train, which inspired the Hogwarts Express.

Overall, a scan of the top 20 countries reveals a heavy slant towards countries in Europe, which take up about half the list.

One possible reason? Rough Guides is a London-based publication with a heavy British and European readership.

For travel inspiration this year, check out the top 20 most beautiful countries in the world as voted by Rough Guides readers this year:

1. Scotland
    2. Canada
    3. New Zealand
    4. Italy
    5. South Africa
    6. Indonesia
    7. England
    8. Iceland
    9. U.S.
    10. Wales
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/trav...orld-1.3575562

Interesting list for sure.
    With it's oil and gas reserves and tourism appeal, I hope Scotland votes yes in the next referendum.
    As for Canada, it's obvious why it made the list with its numerous national parks and vast landscapes. Impressive that Canada was 2nd given it was a Euro based publication. I reckon a more independent one would have Canada 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I reckon a more independent one would have Canada 1st.
    And here we go with another tennisface "canada is the bestest" thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

***Publication with a heavy British and European readership vote Scotland, Canada most beautiful countries in the world.

Title should read;

"Travellers vote Scotland most beautiful country in the world"

Or

"Travellers vote Scotland, Canada, New Zealand, Italy,South Africa, Indonesia, England, Iceland, U.S., Wales most beautiful countries in the world"

I am for the first option because no trophies for loosers and such.

West Canada (like british-columbia) i get it, it's really beautiful.
    Most of northern is prety unique too.

But everything else? Nop. Over half of canada is just farm land. East is just a bunch of island where people only live there half a year and there is almost nothing to see.
    Quebec and Ontario got nothing to showcase (that you cannot see in almost all north-ish country)

I'd put Canada in a top 10 maybe. Never top 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabatakis View Post
    Title should read;

Or

"Travellers vote Scotland, Canada, New Zealand, Italy,South Africa, Indonesia, England, Iceland, U.S., Wales most beautiful countries in the world"

I took the title from the news source. Do you want me to be accurate or not bud?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I took the title from the news source. Do you want me to be accurate or not bud?
    if you ever wanted to be accurate, you wouldn't post half the things you do.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

If you want fields... fields... and more fields... Ireland's perfect for you!

Aye sure, come down to Calton on a Friday night and see how beautiful Scotland really is.

Also England number 7? Don't make me laugh please.
    Last edited by Spryte; 2017-09-05 at 09:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/trav...orld-1.3575562

Interesting list for sure.
    With it's oil and gas reserves and tourism appeal, I hope Scotland votes yes in the next referendum.
    As for Canada, it's obvious why it made the list with its numerous national parks and vast landscapes. Impressive that Canada was 2nd given it was a Euro based publication. I reckon a more independent one would have Canada 1st.
    Hmm, Scotland is a lovely place though. Even an independent source might find likings in other places. I mean, yes, Canada has a lot of pretty nature and parks but you also have people seeking mystery and adventure, castles or ruins of them, can be quite interesting too. Just because a source being independent doesn't mean it'll vote more likely for any country as they would use their own guidelines.

On my own list, Canada would be 3rd, or a close 2nd. Mostly due to the cost to cost walking trail but wouldn't be higher, as I am a sucker for castle ruins.

But in the end, grats on ranking, wouldn't it be better to link to the actual source?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    If you want fields... fields... and more fields... Ireland's perfect for you!
    Did find this lovely pub in Cork once, but that is like, back in 2005.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought Canada was 90% ice?

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, you took it from a local Canadian site which references to the actual source.

Actual title should be; 'The most beautiful country in the world – as voted by readers of Rough Guides'.

Just, if we are going into technicalities. For all I care, I don't. Just a little bothered with the grammar of the original. Hah, but gotta have room for all.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    Aren't you thinking Greenland? Haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You know, the photo would be earning a kill of an income if there was like, an extremely green and lush tree of to the left side. Else, lovely quality. I should get back in to photography again.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2017-09-05 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Spelling error corrected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look I can also link a random article from a random publication

http://www.ucityguides.com/cities/to...the-world.html

Canada not even in the top ten

Sad. Bigly sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    10% of the 2nd largest nation on earth is still a lot of land mate. Math.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reading Tennisace's posts about Canada is enough to make an American rethink their views on patriotism, and how too much patriotism is a crazy thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    I could throw a shoe out of my window and hit a more reliable source than noxxic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    But Tennisace I want you to provide a solution. You're our only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    Reading Tennisace's posts about Canada is enough to make an American rethink their views on patriotism, and how too much patriotism is a crazy thing...
    At this point I just report his posts like this for nationalism and hope a mod that doesn't turn blind eyes notices.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabatakis View Post
    Title should read;

Or

What kind of bullshit is this title, lol?

OT: Beautifulness is subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look I can also link a random article from a random publication

http://www.ucityguides.com/cities/to...the-world.html

Canada not even in the top ten

Sad. Bigly sad.
    What do you expect? The USA is in there and Canada isn't....that doesn't look good for his USA bashing agenda.
    Last edited by Kithelle; 2017-09-05 at 10:18 PM.